Spontaneous Formulation...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was teaching a private class to one of my newest students last night when he posed a very good question to me. I had been telling him about how we have hundreds of self-defense techniques, each giving several distinct lessons on the underlying principles of Kenpo. I went on to explain that when he, in the future, should ever NEED to respond to a violent situation that he wouldn't first have to mentally dig through his techniques to find the one that fits, but rather would respond with the vocabulary that he gets from the techniques and the principles that he has ingrained into the very way he moves. He was very interested and asked me:
"How long do you have to train to get to that point where you can just...ya know...do That."
Good question!
It's not like one day we wake up and have a blinking incon on our computer letting us know our "Kenpo software" has been upgraded and we can now formulate extemporaneously. When we reached this point, we were probably too embroiled in having fun with our training to notice. :D
What do you guys think?
What are some elements of our training that speeds this process along?
Some things I've thought of:
1. Emphasis on using the master key motions of Kenpo. This tends to streamline our vocabulary....I think.
2. Focus of Intent: what Bruce Lee might have called "Emotional Content"... to me this means to train with intensity and spirit.. a focused mind, zeroing in on the moment with 110%.
3. A commitment to DAILY training over a long period.
4. Training against realistic attacks, delivered in a realistic way. (another part of intensity maybe)
....again...
these are just some of my thoughts...
Love to hear what my other brothers in Kenpo have to say on this.
Can't wait to read'em
Your Brother
John

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Brother John

I was teaching a private class to one of my newest students last night when he posed a very good question to me. I had been telling him about how we have hundreds of self-defense techniques, each giving several distinct lessons on the underlying principles of Kenpo. I went on to explain that when he, in the future, should ever NEED to respond to a violent situation that he wouldn't first have to mentally dig through his techniques to find the one that fits, but rather would respond with the vocabulary that he gets from the techniques and the principles that he has ingrained into the very way he moves. He was very interested and asked me:
"How long do you have to train to get to that point where you can just...ya know...do That."
Good question!
It's not like one day we wake up and have a blinking incon on our computer letting us know our "Kenpo software" has been upgraded and we can now formulate extemporaneously. When we reached this point, we were probably too embroiled in having fun with our training to notice. :D
What do you guys think?
1. Emphasis on using the master key motions of Kenpo. This tends to streamline our vocabulary....I think.
2. Focus of Intent: what Bruce Lee might have called "Emotional Content"... to me this means to train with intensity and spirit.. a focused mind, zeroing in on the moment with 110%.
4. Training against realistic attacks, delivered in a realistic way. (another part of intensity maybe)
....again...
Can't wait to read'em
Your Brother
John

That is exactly right...we don't just wake up one day and realize that we can formulate spontaneously. It is a progression and each time you learn a new technique you are adding to your alphabet. For example, You start with A...then you learn B...then you learn C. That gives you the ability to either say A,B,C...or spell CAB. As you learn more and more over time and practice each as you learn it, once you get understand it as you have learned it, then you start to rearrange everything as you see fit. Repetition in this manner is what allows spontaneity with it after time. Practice, practice, practice.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good question!
What do you guys think?
....again...
Can't wait to read'em
Your Brother
John

In place of "master keys of motion" we use "anatomical body index training" to shorten the inculcation time.

We describe "focus of intent" in our "adrenal stress training" that forces the mental focus you suggest.

To compensate for irregular attendance of working professionals, our class time is elogated compared to most. Intermediate and Upper Division average is about 4 hours, allowing us to teach significantly

The realistic aspect is also addressed in our "adrenal stress training" to deal with "adrenal stress syndrome."

All in all, you say tomaaato, I say tomato and its all the same on a hamburger.:asian:

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the idea behind your adrenal stress training.
Could you explain what is meant by
anatomical body index training
It sure sounds interesting, but if it's related to the use of master keys and is good for expiditing assimilation of and expression of Kenpo... I'm all for it. ;)
Thanks for replying Mr. Chapel, I apreciate all good responses.
Your brother
John

J

jeffkyle

My websters dictionary before i return to this conversation.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, it all depends on your attitude and training ethic....you can train for 10 years, but if you can't see what's being taught to you, under your nose, you're never gonna learn...

I reckon the apt student can develop effective spontinetity in about 4 years, but that's just from my own experience; if I'd dug deeper sooner, that time culd be cut down....

Ian.

B

brianhunter

okay...muscle memory and practice come to mind....but wouldnt there be different levels of spontanaity (spelling?) ? You can develop a spontaneous response with delayed sword as a lower belt if practiced enough, correct??? If youve practiced it enough to get through the embryonic and mechanical.

Sorry I didnt use all the five dollar words but them there big words confuse me!

(I am writing all of these down to use in scrabble by the way)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I like the idea behind your adrenal stress training.
Could you explain what is meant by

It sure sounds interesting, but if it's related to the use of master keys and is good for expiditing assimilation of and expression of Kenpo... I'm all for it. ;)
Thanks for replying Mr. Chapel, I apreciate all good responses.
Your brother
John

BODY INDEX TRAINING (B.I.T.) – Called “BIT Training,” is the use of anatomical “Index points” of the armatures to facilitate rapid assimilation of correct anatomical body mechanics in the beginning stages of learning. The index points are based on “startle reflex” mechanisms therefore they do not have to be so much “learned” as re-enforced. These index points correspond to structural integrity positions that contribute to proper execution. These points also are Grapple Control Mechanisms due to their extreme anatomical structure.

This is partly what fuels the flames. that is we are "anatomy based" instead of "motion based."

At least, that is what we do and it seems to work with long lasting and effective results.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

okay...muscle memory and practice come to mind....but wouldnt there be different levels of spontanaity (spelling?) ? You can develop a spontaneous response with delayed sword as a lower belt if practiced enough, correct??? If youve practiced it enough to get through the embryonic and mechanical.

spon·ta·ne·i·ty (spnt-n-t, -n-)

n. pl. spon·ta·ne·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being spontaneous.
2. Spontaneous behavior, impulse, or movement.

spon·tane·ous·ly adv.
spon·tane·ous·ness n.

Synonyms: spontaneous, impulsive, instinctive, involuntary, automatic.

These adjectives mean acting, reacting, or happening without apparent forethought or prompting.

spon·ta·ne·ous (spn-tn-s) adj.

1. Happening or arising without apparent external cause; self-generated.
2. Arising from a natural inclination or impulse and not from external incitement or constraint.
3. Unconstrained and unstudied in manner or behavior.
4. Growing without cultivation or human labor.

I think there needs to be consensus on what is meant when the word is used.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Doc

spon·ta·ne·i·ty (spnt-n-t, -n-)

n. pl. spon·ta·ne·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being spontaneous.
2. Spontaneous behavior, impulse, or movement.

spon·tane·ous·ly adv.
spon·tane·ous·ness n.

Synonyms: spontaneous, impulsive, instinctive, involuntary, automatic.

These adjectives mean acting, reacting, or happening without apparent forethought or prompting.

spon·ta·ne·ous (spn-tn-s) adj.

1. Happening or arising without apparent external cause; self-generated.
2. Arising from a natural inclination or impulse and not from external incitement or constraint.
3. Unconstrained and unstudied in manner or behavior.
4. Growing without cultivation or human labor.

I think there needs to be consensus on what is meant when the word is used.

Acting or Reacting naturally without thought or assistance. That is what I think it means?!?!?!?!?

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got another question from your response above, you said:
extreme anatomical structure
..in referrence to the 'Body Index Points'.
I'm really not trying to split hairs, but I was wondering what makes these anatomical points 'extremely' anatomical, opposed to other anatomical 'points'. Just curious what you meant.
Thanks
Your Brother
John

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OR is it the 'Structure' of these 'anatomical points' that is 'extreme'? Maybe I read the sentence wrong. Are you saying that these points of the anatomy are set aside for study over and above their neighboring structures because thier tensile strength or lever-advantage is greater?
Honestly trying for a better understanding....
thanks again
Your Brother
John

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

OR is it the 'Structure' of these 'anatomical points' that is 'extreme'? Maybe I read the sentence wrong. Are you saying that these points of the anatomy are set aside for study over and above their neighboring structures because thier tensile strength or lever-advantage is greater?
Honestly trying for a better understanding....
thanks again
Your Brother
John

The body has certain reflexes it uses to protect itself when startled that causes the anatomical frame to react a certain way. As an example, even a casual motion toward your groin will illicit an involuntary reaction that knocks the hips out of alignment as the body moves to "protect itself."

When working with the armatures the same holds true. When startled, the arms move in a certain manner in response to the external stymuli. These reference index points corresspond to the bodies anatomical strength for that particular situation, and therefore can be used as a reference point as to how movement should be performed for maximum effciency as well as structural integrity.

Latest Discussions