Spinning heel kick vs spinning hook kick

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've got a few combos that I can to reasonably. And of course some combos work with both back kick, turning side kick or spinning wheel, depending on target and opponent stance. The main purpose of my spinning wheel kick is the legs. Wheel kick to the liver is very hight change of getting the leg trapped (and that is bad for my back). Very few will catch a leg kick unless it's a grappler of course, then any limb is an opportunity ;)
Can you do them effectively with both the left and right leg?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can you do them effectively with both the left and right leg?
Not as much as I would like! But I get your point, it would be awesome to be equally good at both sides! 🙄

I definitely have a better side, which. Also my back issues are lateral, so even with more training, one side it likely to always be worse. I can perofrm the kicks with both, but it is ALOT better with my right.

As I usually fight in orthodox stance, my lead leg is not near as dangerous as when I switch to southpaw. In orthodox stance my lead hook is my main weapon along with kicking inside their lead leg, so I advance more liek a boxer. When I switch to southpaw, my lead leg is my main weapon. So oddly enough my "fighting style" tends to become different as I change stance. Sometimes i wonder which stance is my best, as both has pros and cons.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As I think of it, in orthodox stance by bad side is leading, so then my priority is not first line defense but power counters (with my rear). But in southpaw I have a stronger first line defence, and better first line attacks, but at the cost of slower power counters, with the exception of the stepping-in back kick, that is one of my better overall kicks, and itäs quick when in southpaw.

When I started I felt southpaw was "easier" but i have come to think that i need to train also orthodox, so this is why it has become my default. But it's funny how if often changes the game if you change stance mid-fight.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as much as I would like! But I get your point, it would be awesome to be equally good at both sides! 🙄

I definitely have a better side, which. Also my back issues are lateral, so even with more training, one side it likely to always be worse. I can perofrm the kicks with both, but it is ALOT better with my right.

As I usually fight in orthodox stance, my lead leg is not near as dangerous as when I switch to southpaw. In orthodox stance my lead hook is my main weapon along with kicking inside their lead leg, so I advance more liek a boxer. When I switch to southpaw, my lead leg is my main weapon. So oddly enough my "fighting style" tends to become different as I change stance. Sometimes i wonder which stance is my best, as both has pros and cons.
I completely understand, as I have a permanent back injury as well. I also fight southpaw most of the time. I make sure to train both sides, but my dominant side is noticeably more efficient.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my "fighting style" tends to become different as I change stance.
When leading with one side, I fight with more finesse. With the other side, more power oriented.
I make sure to train both sides, but my dominant side is noticeably more efficient.
I do some techniques better with one side leading, such as backfist, side kick and spinning back kick. Leading with the other side, reverse punch and other back leg kicks are better. Some moves I do equally well with either side.

I'm comfortable leading with either side as I have a range of techniques with each and usually will switch leads several times within the span of minutes. Sometimes it's to set up my next move, other times it's to upset the opponent's plan by giving a new look and taking away his anticipated targets, upsetting his timing.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When leading with one side, I fight with more finesse. With the other side, more power oriented.

I do some techniques better with one side leading, such as backfist, side kick and spinning back kick. Leading with the other side, reverse punch and other back leg kicks are better. Some moves I do equally well with either side.

I'm comfortable leading with either side as I have a range of techniques with each and usually will switch leads several times within the span of minutes. Sometimes it's to set up my next move, other times it's to upset the opponent's plan by giving a new look and taking away his anticipated targets, upsetting his timing.
Unfortunately, my efficiency is limited by injuries, but I have found new ways to deal with them. Some are things like you mentioned, such as switching sides to set up my next move, etc.