Speed, acceleration and quickness

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But if you get it, then you get a lot of other things as well.

Absolutely, you can see things fall into place when a student gets it for the first time. Everything improves literally in that second almost.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard to explain in words. But pushing off with both feet is a key concept in kicking in both hapkido and kukki taekwondo.

So, I watched the video, and I still don't get how pushing of the lead foot helps with "Quickness" in a rear foot kick.

I understand how it helps cover disatance if needed and will help doing so more quickly. I See in the videos that the lead leg knee flexes and agree this helps, but when they just show rear leg kicks without covering distance it's just a pivot on the rear foot.

So, perhaps some time when we meet a detailed explanation is in order or perhaps clue me in to a time line on the video that best illustrates what you are referring to.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, perhaps some time when we meet a detailed explanation is in order or perhaps clue me in to a time line on the video that best illustrates what you are referring to.

Until such time, I would suggest that you do what we all did and watch that video over and over and over and over and try to understand the concepts through your own experimentation and study. It should come easier for you than it did us because you have the benefit of our clues, which we did not have. It really was knowledge that came the hard way, and only by going through it can you appreciate the difficulty. In my opinion, taekwondoin today are spoiled, everything is out there and available. We had nothing. That is one of the reasons I bought all those books and magazines, because I knew there was more to it than what shown in class.

tamaro

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

The most important concept to train speed, acceleration or quickness (which are pretty much the same thing), is that you can't be tired during the exercise to improve them.

The first step is to improve the maximum strength of the muscles you need for the technique you wish to improve. Maximum strength training will usually require gym equipment since you have to work with sets of 1-3 repetitions at maximum weight. You can learn more about by googling "maximum strength training". This type of training should be performed before the competition season starts.

The second step is to gain Dynamic strength for the same muscles. Dynamic strength is your ability to generate maximum force is the shortest time interval. Essentially, it's the ability to accelerate, which in martial arts means the same as having a fast technique. Plyometrics are the best way to gaining dynamic strength and "teach" your body on how to use as many fibers as possible to generate power. Search "plyometrics" on google, this training technique is used a lot in every sport that requires powerful accelerations.

The third and final step is to go and train your mind on applying perfect technique with all your available force. To do so, strike the mitts with maximum speed and concentration with the techniques you wish to improve, in sets of 10-12.

The "secret" in speed training is that you can't be tired to improve it. It may at first feel like a soft training, but in reality when you get tired you are actually training endurance and doing nothing to improve speed.

Agility can be practiced with exercises where you have to swift your body weight quite fast in order to change direction. It will help you improve your balance, coordination and teach your mind in handling quick direction changes. Great agility exercises require only one or two ropes or a ladder, you can find some at
http://www.workoutz.com/category/speed_and_agility_exercises.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tamaro
Get the new iPhone/iPad/Android app at http://taekwondo.telmoamaro.com

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, taekwondoin today are spoiled, everything is out there and available. We had nothing. That is one of the reasons I bought all those books and magazines, because I knew there was more to it than what shown in class.

Funny, I tell students the same. No such thing as video. Few Books. We had to get of our buts and go places and find different instructors.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny, I tell students the same. No such thing as video. Few Books. We had to get of our butts and go places and find different instructors.

It was really hard. But I am glad that I went through that. I know how to fish now, I don't need someone to constantly bring me fish to eat. That was worth it.