Sparring with Braces

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Today, one of my daughters got her braces put on. Saturday, June 28, we are in our first TKD Tournament. The whole family is in the tournament. However, the daughter that got the braces is probably the most excited about the tournament but feels she might have to back off on her assertiveness. In class she is very good, but does catch the ocassional kick or punch to the face. For the most part, she is very good at blocking and being patient to find the right opportunity to get her strikes in. The orthodontist said she could do it, as long as she does not get hit in the face. We did buy her a mouth piece for braces. I was just wondering if anyone who has fought in braces find that the mouth pieces work well in protecting the inside of your mouth as well as the braces. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Get a mouth piece. Getting hit in the mouth with braces easily cuts open the mouth. I had braces when I was younger and when I got hit in the cheek I would bleed because the braces cut me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shock Doctors I would recommend they make probaly the best mouth gaurds for braces, beside having a dentist custom making you one.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shock Doctors I would recommend they make probaly the best mouth gaurds for braces, beside having a dentist custom making you one.

That's what I was going to say too - and I'll point out that my dentist had braces on for a couple of years, and his wife does now (they're both black belts - he's a 4th dan and she's a 1st dan) and it's never slowed either of them down a bit. Shock Doctor makes the best mouth guards I've seen, and they have specific models for braces - they're usually easily available around here in sporting goods stores, because I don't know that you could get one on-line in time.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had braces when I was in taekwondo as a kid. My eldest has them now and does taekwondo. I sympathize. I must third the recomendation for the Shock Doctor mouthpiece.

Daniel

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The orthodontist said she could do it, as long as she does not get hit in the face.

If this is what the good doctor said to you, then why bother asking about mouth guards? S/he has just told you that martial arts is out of the question.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've recently had a set of lovely pointy braces glued to my teeth and i've done a bit of sparring with a "Total Guard" gumshield in. I found that I couldnt feel the braces at all and even after a few (pretty light, but enough to break the skin of your inner cheek on the brace) punches in the face the brace wasnt bent at all. So I can say, I heartily endorse this product. The only disadvantage is that they do make you look like an idiot 'cause they're huge.

Latest Discussions