Bunkia?

kydaviddoyle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

2 questions.

1 - what is the Korean word that equals bunkia?

2 - What is a good source (web, book, ect.) for Korean bunkia? I'm mainly looking for sources dealing with Pyong 2?

Thank you for your time.

David

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

2 questions.

1 - what is the Korean word that equals bunkia?

I think you mean bunkai? People have used boon hae and hae sul for the same thing, but it's something of a novelty in the KMAs. So there's no consensus.

2 - What is a good source (web, book, ect.) for Korean bunkia? I'm mainly looking for sources dealing with Pyong 2?

Thank you for your time.

David

There's a book by Stuart Anslow, one of our own members, and a book-length series of newsletters by Simon J. O'Neil. But if you're interested in the Pyung-Ahns, which were simply taken over whole from the Shotokan Heians, themselves taken over whole from the Okinawan karate Pinan katas, then look no further than Iain Abernethy's free downloadable e-book on bunkai for the Pinans here (note the article series and the books listed). He also has a terrific DVD on bunkai for the Pinans at his web site (not free, alas, but definitely worth the ££ :D) Pyanh-Ahn 2 = Pinan Shodan, btw, so you're looking at the bunkai for the very first of the Okinawan Pinan kata.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ian Abernathy is the one for sure and Hae Sul is what alot of people use.

Latest Discussions