Sparring Stance

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
SleeperCell 13 wrote:

This is true. There are a couple of people that see the big obvious chink in my armor and go right at it. This stance does not work when on the mat with them if they are fast enough. If they hesitate.....

So. wouldn't it make more sense to use one that would lessen the holes?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've noticed in our Dojang that when we spar, everyone, without exception, uses the exact same sparring stance. A modified front/back stance with the torso turned so that one of the arms is leading. I'm sure that most everyone everywhere does the same thing.

I'm also quite sure that there are people out there that do things differently as I do.

I decided to start using a square stance. Feet shoulder length apart, arms raised with fists a bit further apart than my shoulders. Arms are forward for a quick block as my head and chest are rather exposed.

Sometimes I keep my elbows tucked in to my chest with my fists out in front of my face.

What I have found is that people who were scoring on me at will, have trouble with this stance as they don't have their usual cues that something is coming. They get defensive and then I can go to work.

Has anyone else out there noticed some of these same things?

What other stances work for you?

I use the same.

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS asked:
So, wouldn't it make more sense to use one that would lessen the holes?

I do. I change my stance frequently. If something doesn't work well with an opponent, I move on to something that does. I should have been a bit more clear, I don't always use the square stance, just when I feel it will pay off. Sometimes I switch between a left lead and a right lead. Sometimes I exaggerate a side stance.

SA BJJ wrote:
I use the same.

Which one? The traditional, or square?

Last edited:

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My bad I was refering to the traditional stance. Feet shoulder width apart angled off...

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, I haven't posted in a while. I've been applying to grad school...

Usually I notice beginners taking a modified back stance for their fighting stance. I prefer a more relaxed stance. Usually my feet are slightly staggered, one foot slightly ahead, the foot that's ahead faces forward with the knee facing the opponent (maybe slightly turned, depends), back foot is turned almost to 45 degrees, both knees are loosely bent, hips and torso are facing 45 degrees (minimizing targets while maximizing weapons), and I'm ready to move. This is usually my type of base position, but I can vary it a good bit depending on the situation.

I don't practice for point fighting, so my fighting techniques may be a bit unusual for those who are competitive fighters. I don't like playing by rules set forth by other people (only the laws of physics apply). I usually won't do the whole twinkle-toes, dancing around or hopping kind of stuff. It's fun to play around sometimes, but I've never seen a fight or been in a fight on the street where someone came bouncing towards me in a traditional fighting stance. Fight's don't happen that way, generally.

Latest Discussions