Sparring gear? Daedo vs nike

scottC

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new chest protector, I have competed in wtf sparring for the last seven years, but have been out of really competitive sparring for the past couple years. I have used mostly adidas and techno(too bad they're gone) gear in the past and am looking for something that I can use to get seriously back into sparring. Any suggestions? I was researching and found the daedo chest guard which seemed similar to adidas, but with a slightly different cut. I also found the nike chest guard which is quite a bit more expensive. Is it worth it? has anyone used both or even just the nike chestguard that can vouch for the quality?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The adidas and Nike are comparable. I prefer the Adidas, it's also less expensive.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used mostly adidas and techno(too bad they're gone)

yeah. I loved the Tecno Q21 Hard Chest Guards (hogu). My all time favorite to this day. Plus there whole line of Q21 shin and forearm gaurds were the best as well.

too bad no one stole their design or bought it out.

anyway. I say its all about comfort for you. They both seem nice but you have to find the one that "feels" good. Both are good picks, and I am a Nike fan, but still would take a daedo as well.

Sorry its not much help. Do you have access to both? that would make it easy.

otherwise, You might end up buying both. getting one and not liking it then buy the other...

the addidas is decent as well.

OP
S

scottC

White Belt
Reaction score
I know! I miss techno. Did you own the nike hogu? Is it way better than the daedo? Lighter? Better material? If not the daedo seems like a better option because of price. I dont think that the hogu makes the player anyways, so if its not substansially better, its probably not worth the price.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah. I loved the Tecno Q21 Hard Chest Guards (hogu). My all time favorite to this day. Plus there whole line of Q21 shin and forearm gaurds were the best as well.

I agree. The only thing was that the stitching wasn't that great, unraveling and all of that. But I have a student who works as a furniture upholstery guy, so he would fix it. Or you can use athletic tape to tape the shin and forearm guards in place.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know! I miss techno. Did you own the nike hogu? Is it way better than the daedo? Lighter? Better material? If not the daedo seems like a better option because of price. I dont think that the hogu makes the player anyways, so if its not substansially better, its probably not worth the price.

I have seen the Nike hogus, AND I LIKE THEM, but i do not own one. I couldn't convice myself to part with the $$$... yet. I currently stick with the Adidas because i get a good wholesale price on them and my competition days are over. They are fine for class and drills.

Honestly there arent many Nike Hogus around because distribution is limited and cost is above the average students range.

which Nike hogus are you looking at?

by the way... I HATE the way the nike headgear looks. :YUK:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. The only thing was that the stitching wasn't that great, unraveling and all of that. But I have a student who works as a furniture upholstery guy, so he would fix it. Or you can use athletic tape to tape the shin and forearm guards in place.

my elastic stretched out to become unusable. Luckily I still have 1 more brand new pair of each for myself, that rarely gets worn!!!

What ever happened to them?

I know someone tried to get them up and running again, then that failed. Toward the end of the USTU era they were a supplier of official mechandise right? I still have a TECHNO Official USTU State uniform...

I made the mistake of thinking that Vision was the same company when they first hit the spot or would be similiar. I do not like thier products.

Latest Discussions