Sparring Blunders

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparing a friend of mine that was a Shaolin Kung Fu and TDK guy and back then I trained Tai Chi and Xingyi

He threw a front round house and missed, I moved in fast and was rather surprised that anyone could change that into a hook kick, with power, that fast, with the same leg (it never touched the ground).

I don't understand... were you and your opponent facing the same wall or facing opposite walls? Where was his first kick meant to strike, and where did his second kick strike?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't understand... were you and your opponent facing the same wall or facing opposite walls? Where was his first kick meant to strike, and where did his second kick strike?

We were facing each other he threw the kick to my head and missed but after it passed my head I moved in but he returned the same leg, heal first back to my head. I could be using the wrong terminology for the names of kicks I have been in CMA a long time now and I am forgetting my JMA and KMA terminology.

His first kick was from the right leg up and around past my head. After getting past my head he stopped the kick (the right leg) from completing and going to the floor and brought it (the right leg) back heel first.

He was nice enough to stop it right next to my head and not kick my head off of my shoulders. But resault was the same, I lost.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
ahahahha that is so awesome!!

That is indeed a hard combination to throw...

Wheel kick over the head followed by a hook kick in the closed stance...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many blunders, of course! Everyone makes mistakes, and with each year, you're going to rack up another handful of entries for the wall of shame. Count on it. The only thing we can do is learn from such mistakes, and pass on such knowledge to others!

In my case, the worst was probably when I was doing charity boxing in college. We had four rings going on at the same time, and I was in my second round match, fighting against a good friend of mine. Most of the round was over, and when I heard the bell (keep in mind, the headgear did obstruct some of the hearing), I thought that our round was over, and looked over to the referee.

As it turns out, the bell was for the adjacent ring...

The next thing I see is a mass of leather glove sailing towards my face, as a most beautiful hook connected directly on my nose.

BAM!

Things went dark for a wee bit.

The next thing I see after that, is my friend staring over me with a horrified expression, and constantly jabbering "Dude! I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry!" over and over. Either that, or my head was still ringing. I tried to respond in a non-chalant manner, telling him it wasn't his fault, but there was an awful lot of blood accumulating in my nose (snort, snort, cough, cough), which had been broken. The only thing that came out was a couple of blood-filled gurgles that were rather unintelligible.

The damage wasn't nearly as bad as it appeared, as a broken nose isn't the end of the world, but the sheer amount of blood that came out did cause a panic.

I went to the hospital, got treatment, and bandaged up. The nose would heal decently, and my only lingering after-effect is having a bit more trouble breathing through the nose on allergy-ridden days, but I'm already used to that.

The damaging experience wasn't nearly as humiliating as the next time I went to my Medical Ethics class, though. The prof. saw me in the back row, bandages and all, and decided to hold his lecture on the brutality of boxing a few weeks early, using my situation as an example.

Anyways, I still use this example to this date, warning all of my students that just because you hear someone yelling "Yame!" during a match, you NEVER stop defending youself. The only thing they are to do when they hear "Yame!" is to stop attacking. The defense stays up at all times.

I wish I still had the tape of that fight, since I used to show it to my students as a warning to never do that. Some of the kids keep sparring with their hands down, and their seeing all of that blood shooting out usually puts the fear of getting smacked in a similar manner, in their minds, and their defense suddenly improves a whole lot.
icon10.gif

My big mistake was loaning that tape to a friend, whose kids ended up accidentally taping over the fight, and I was left with an episode of the "Teletubbies."
icon8.gif

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm now retired from charity boxing.

Latest Discussions