Sparring question

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Cool. Im glad to have helped you out. I can tell the use legs to block legs, and hands to block hands will stick with you. But be sure to read all of it though. make sure to lean to block body shots too so you dont drop your hands to block and get popped in the face. the exeption to the rule of hands to hands to block and feet to block feet is when they throw high kicks. Still keep your hands up, and kick at the knee. high kicks are very risky and you are asking to get your other leg knocked out from under you if you abuse them. As a general rule, anytime somone throws a high kick at me,I kick the leg they are standing on with everything I got, most good martial artists realize the disadvantages of throwing high kicks and will not do it against a good opponent. I teach this same strategy to my students. it takes alittle time to get it down, the funniest thing is when I tell a new guy, when I kick at your balls,or stomach, dont drop your hands or Im gonna pop your face, then we spar a little, and I kick low, and instict makes them drop there hand to stop the kick, and bam! right in the face lololol. Right after I got done telling them not to drop there guard. You will do it to most likely. Just get used to fighting that way and it will become second nature. Then I will talk to you about offence.
Keep in mind though, free fighting is about many things but getting injured isn't one of them. Kicking someone's supporting leg is a great way to damage the knee, perhaps irreparably, as well as risking hitting your head on the floor from falling. We are not here to hurt each other. That means no leg kicking, no groin kicking, avoid sweeps on hard floors. Each school has its own rules, but common sense and safety should be the number one concerns. If I damage your knee by kicking it because you tried to kick high, you may never be able to effectively practice again. And if you hit your head against the floor because I kicked your leg out, you can suffer long term damage. High price to pay to teach someone a lesson.
What is good for self defense is not always good for sparring.

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
My intention is definately not to hurt anyone, i just don't want to keep getting punches to my head, on top of looking really really stupid!

Thanks for all the advise, I'll try it out and let you all know!

Latest Discussions