Southern Baptist leader, "no yoga for Christians"

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm. Can't have it both ways. A dominately Islamic country says don't do something and that is fine. A dominately Christian country and someone says don't do something for Christians is not fine? Whether people want to admit it or not 85% of the US proclaims to be Christian.

Actually I can. Most Islamic countries, no matter what version of "Democracy" they espouse, are theocracies. The imams pull the strings & things are done. Saudi Arabia may be a definite democracy with the imams having a say, but not so much control. Indonesia & Malaysia are definitely theocratic in policy & principle, but not in raw practiced name. Egypt... not sure about.

We are a country founded (supposedly) on freedom of religion & persecution of practicing religion. Christianity is the predominant flavor of faith practiced here. No arguments there. However, there is separation of church & state, so the state would have no say regardless. At least for the time being...

He didn't call for yoga to be outlawed, didn't call for people to start protesting yoga classes. Merely stated his opinion that his belief is that the core tenants of yoga if believed to be true, are not consitant with the core tenants of Christianity if believed to be true. How is your belief anymore valid or important than his?

Mine isn't. However I don't go calling "group A" wrong because they choose to do something, regardless of religious orientation or not. However, sheeple out there will follow his opinion without looking at themselves because "he said it".

I never mentioned him calling for it to be outlawed. That's a stretch from you back to the theocratic Islamic countries. Their choice. Their laws. Good for them. But not here.

If you are defining yoga as he is (a spritual practice tied in with Hinduism), than it does not fit in with Christian doctrine or Muslim doctrine, or Jewish doctrine. If you only view yoga as a physical practice the same as pilates, than it does not conflict with Christianity.

Who says his definition is correct? Wait... he did. And so he's telling people they're wrong by practicing it short of anything but a physical activity at a gym.

Must mean Japanese martial arts are off limits where there's a kamidana in place. It's got to mean Chinese martial arts are off limits where there's a sun toi. Indonesian & some Filipino martial arts are definitely off limits.

What part don't you agree with of his? His belief? Again, why is his belief any more or less valid than yours? Why is it when ANY Christian leader expresses an opinion that is not popular, even though it IS consistant with what the Bible teaches is wrong (I am not talking about people changing around scriptures to support positions that are not biblical, such as white supremicists using it to support racism, or using the Bible to persecute people)?

I don't agree with him saying "you're wrong". They're no more wrong than he is for getting paid for preaching. If anything, he's wrong for turning a buck because of this ruckus. He's wrong for turning a buck running a church. He should have a job to make a living and then preach because he's moved to, not financially inclined or ego driven to. It's a calling, not a career path. There's a difference. My brother preaches because he was drawn to it & makes $0 for it.

As far as "ANY" Christian leader expressing an unpopular opinion... who said they have to be popular? When did this become a popularity contest anyway?

Who says they're right, anyway? Shakespeare?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see why people are getting twisted about this.

Christian belief is that saying prayers to and worshipping other gods is wrong and not to be done.
The 'full on' Yoga has prayers to other gods therefore it is not compatable with Christianity. You can't argue with that!

If you are a Christian you will follow the laws and teachings of your church, if you aren't a Christian you won't care because this man has said it for Christians, no one else. If you are a Christian, you can't chop and change your basic tenets of which this is one, just to suit your lifestyle.

That's the case in a nutshell.

Good post punisher!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Because we can. Bout the best answer I've got.

Christian belief is that saying prayers to and worshipping other gods is wrong and not to be done.
The 'full on' Yoga has prayers to other gods therefore it is not compatable with Christianity. You can't argue with that!

If you're a "Christian" then you wouldn't go to a "full on Yoga" class anyway. Then again, you also wouldn't participate in any "imported" holiday or event we all take part in yearly either. Oh, most music would be right out the door too along with movies & other popular forms of entertainment. Martial arts would be definitely not happening to add to the list.

If you are a Christian you will follow the laws and teachings of your church, if you aren't a Christian you won't care because this man has said it for Christians, no one else.

It's the precedent.

If you are a Christian, you can't chop and change your basic tenets of which this is one, just to suit your lifestyle.

Why not?? 99.99% do anyway.

Good post punisher!

Skin of the nutshell anyway, but it's a good Friday topic!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
why is his belief any more or less valid than yours?

Think about that statement for a bit and then think about what he is asking for.

In the USA there is Freedom of Religion (that is that other pesky part of the 1st amendment people seem to forget) so you can ask why is his belief any more or less valid than yours? But that then begs the question; why is their belief any more or less valid than his?

Why is he anymore right than anyone else?

I truly have no idea.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think about that statement for a bit and then think about what he is asking for.

In the USA there is Freedom of Religion (that is that other pesky part of the 1st amendment people seem to forget) so you can ask why is his belief any more or less valid than yours? But that then begs the question; why is their belief any more or less valid than his?

Why is he anymore right than anyone else?

That was my point. No one is more "right" about this than anyone else. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and a right to express that opinion. But, to start judging him for expressing the opinion of his religion is not right. If you say that you don't agree with Christianity and therefore don't agree with his belief that is fine with me. But, I would expect that you (in the general sense, not specifically you) would agree that his view was correct in the context of what it was spoken in.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez wrote:
Quote: If you are a Christian you will follow the laws and teachings of your church, if you aren't a Christian you won't care because this man has said it for Christians, no one else
Originally Posted by Tez3
If you are a Christian you will follow the laws and teachings of your church, if you aren't a Christian you won't care because this man has said it for Christians, no one else.
Sean wrote:
It's the precedent
Could you clarify what you mean by this? I think it will help me understand your viewpoint more.
Thanks

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could you clarify what you mean by this? I think it will help me understand your viewpoint more.
Thanks

Well... the precedent of "Preacher A" telling "Church A" (non-descript applies to any religion) to do/not do something because of his belief or interpretation of some religious text and the sheeple following suit without being strong enough to question & determine for themselves whether or not it's proper/correct to do so.

I've seen it before on things like this, local where I live.

I don't care for the precedent.

That help any?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And for the record as it applies to the OP based on reading throught the thread I am still wondering the same thing

"How secure is someone in their own faith/spirituality if it can be threatened so easily by a Yoga class"

And I know this is not what that person of the story is doing but based on reading through this thread I find it interesting that people are so quick to throw in the first amendment when they feel there freedom is speech is threatened, even though they tend to misunderstand what the first amendment is actually saying. But many seem to forget there is more to the 1st amendment than speech.
As you do the Sun Salutation, you should consider why? Its not about shaking your faith. You don't see a lot of christians attending cynagog either, and its not because they think it will shake their faith.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... the precedent of "Preacher A" telling "Church A" (non-descript applies to any religion) to do/not do something because of his belief or interpretation of some religious text and the sheeple following suit without being strong enough to question & determine for themselves whether or not it's proper/correct to do so.

I've seen it before on things like this, local where I live.

I don't care for the precedent.

That help any?
I would hardly call people sheeple because a religious leader pointed out something from the bible.
Sean

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a Christian you will follow the laws and teachings of your church, if you aren't a Christian you won't care because this man has said it for Christians, no one else. If you are a Christian, you can't chop and change your basic tenets of which this is one, just to suit your lifestyle.
Good post punisher!

No you can't argue that. But I say, unless you are stepping into a Hindu temple (the only place real Yoga is taught by real Gurus) then it's just working out and shouldnt be a problem. Your local gym or health club doesnt have a guru on staff nor do they chant/pray ... or those that do I've heard some pretty crazy pronunciations by people who obviously don't know the language.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would hardly call people sheeple because a religious leader pointed out something from the bible.
Sean

That's cool. You don't, I do.

If they're not strong enough to question (and there have been plenty that have) then they fit the role.

Anybody who blindly follows somebody in that position (in any organized religion) without questioning, deserves the title.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you can't argue that. But I say, unless you are stepping into a Hindu temple (the only place real Yoga is taught by real Gurus) then it's just working out and shouldnt be a problem. Your local gym or health club doesnt have a guru on staff nor do they chant/pray ... or those that do I've heard some pretty crazy pronunciations by people who obviously don't know the language.

You've just reitrated what the pastor said ie if you are just doing the movements it's not Yoga! I don't think the pastor is saying don't do the movements, he's saying don't do the chanting/prayers which is a fair one.

The pronouncations 'problem' is also common in martial arts!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As you do the Sun Salutation, you should consider why?

I don’t understand this question.

As for me doing a Sun Salutation, is just exercise. I would never nor do I describe myself as a Yoga person. A Sun Salutation to me is a tool to help my martial arts it is not in any way to me a spiritual thing. However I have trained a bit of Kripalu Yoga, Power Yoga and most recently Hatha. I have considered Iyengar and Yin but to be honest it is all for the same purpose, to better my MA that is all. I know there are those that are deeply into Yoga and all it is about and I have trained with them and sat and talked with them and I never once felt they were ever a threat to whatever my spirituality is nor have I ever felt them a threat to Christianity or the Core values of the western world.

I also have very good friends, who use to be a CMA sister, who was more recently my yoga teacher because she left CMA all together to deeply pursue yoga. I truly enjoy talking to her and I have never perceived anything she has said or discussed as a threat to me or any spirituality I may have. Actually, to be truthful, she is much happier and much healthier with yoga than she ever was with CMA.

Its not about shaking your faith. You don't see a lot of christians attending cynagog either, and its not because they think it will shake their faith.

Would you explain it to me then, because based on the article I do not see so much as an issue of shaking his faith, although he may be concerned about it shaking the faith of others. I would not label it intolerance but I do see it as a lack of understanding either to what yoga is, or how Americans tend to approach such things. Americans tend to be rather eclectic and take things they want to use form a thing in order to have it as a tool to achieve their goal be that Martial Arts, Spirituality or a better job. We rarely as a group get deeply into things. We have a tendency to change it to what we need or understand. My reference to Power Yoga is a good example IMO when you compare it to Hard core Hatha.

However I have recently read about people pulling away from the church, be that Catholic, Protestant or Christian or whatever you want to call it. But that pilling away has little to do with abandoning their religion and has a lot to do with not agreeing with the views of their chosen church or the priest, pastor, clergyman in the church. They are still getting together as a group to worship, just not at a church. So to me that would say the Church needs to look more to what it is doing when people leave than looking for outside sources to blame.

To be honest I do not see any other religious practice as a threat to any other if one is truely faithful so I don’t really see the issue here at all.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to point out that chants and songs does not a Hindu make. I'm an atheist, but I do yoga at the temple. I get my workout in, chanting is relaxing, the lunch is great ... who's better than me right? Just like singing songs with Jesus in it or celebrating christian holidays don't make you a christian either. I could sing the Psalms, say all the various prayers, sing the hymns (I was in choir) take part in the religious cerimonies, doesnt mean I'm a devout follower of that tradition either, it's just apart of knowledge.

I'm from a family of Hindu and christian backgrounds and learning, repeating even attending ceremonies of one shouldn't really shake your belief in the other. Enjoy the experience, see how other people live

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that chants and songs does not a Hindu make. I'm an atheist, but I do yoga at the temple. I get my workout in, chanting is relaxing, the lunch is great ... who's better than me right? Just like singing songs with Jesus in it or celebrating christian holidays don't make you a christian either. I could sing the Psalms, say all the various prayers, sing the hymns (I was in choir) take part in the religious cerimonies, doesnt mean I'm a devout follower of that tradition either, it's just apart of knowledge.

I'm from a family of Hindu and christian backgrounds and learning, repeating even attending ceremonies of one shouldn't really shake your belief in the other. Enjoy the experience, see how other people live

It's nothing to do with shaking faith, I don't sing hymns with anything Christian in it, I don't chant prayers to Hindu gods nor do I celebrate Christian or other festivals. It's not because I fear for my faith, it's out of respect for my own G-d. Respect, not fear or because I have been ordered to.

The only Christian service I do go to is, sadly, funerals. I still don't sing the words that aren't 'compatible' with my faith nor do I repeat the prayers. The funeral I was at on Wednesday transcended any one religion, the Church of England service was a gentle one, full of compassion and respect, there was no difficulty for me being there, nor for anyone I believe.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've just reitrated what the pastor said ie if you are just doing the movements it's not Yoga! I don't think the pastor is saying don't do the movements, he's saying don't do the chanting/prayers which is a fair one.

The pronouncations 'problem' is also common in martial arts!

I typed "purpose of yoga" into google and here are the top two results.
http://www.swamij.com/yoga-meaning.htm

http://www.sivanandaonline.org/graphics/sadhana/yoga/purpose.html

Both of these websites are contrary to what the Bible teaches about the human condition and the path to God.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

If they're not strong enough to question (and there have been plenty that have) then they fit the role.

Anybody who blindly follows somebody in that position (in any organized religion) without questioning, deserves the title.

You are projected your own biases onto this congregation. Does the article say anywhere or a follow up story that everyone has accepted what he has said without question?

I have heard pastors/priests say things that I don't agree with and many others didn't either. If they are claiming things and telling you to do so without questioning it than that is a red flag for a cult and we are no longer dealing with the religion of Christianity.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are projected your own biases onto this congregation. Does the article say anywhere or a follow up story that everyone has accepted what he has said without question?

No... not on to the congregation. My opinions were put out there about him for making blanket statements & thinking for the sheeple that follow him unquestioningly.

Here's a question I don't think we'll ever get an answer on. What's his experience, first hand, with yoga?

The rebuttals to his commentary have come from outside of his herd, not within. I don't think we'll get much public response from them.

I have heard pastors/priests say things that I don't agree with and many others didn't either. If they are claiming things and telling you to do so without questioning it than that is a red flag for a cult and we are no longer dealing with the religion of Christianity.

Umm... there are plenty of "Christians" that do that here in the states along with various other flavors of religions around the world.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Umm... there are plenty of "Christians" that do that here in the states along with various other flavors of religions around the world.

I should have clarified more what I meant. If you take any religion and change it to justify your own extreme beliefs, it should not be judged as indicitive of that religion. For example, looking at abortion clinic bombers and saying "that is Chrisitianity" or the taliban and saying "that is Muslim".

I was trying to make the distinction between a pastor (or other religious) leader giving informed guidance within the parameters of his religion vs. people claiming to be religious leaders making claims that are outside of what their religion actually says but are trying to justify it anyways. For example, neo-nazis twisting scripture to hate Jews.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

and WHAT if they DO question, and then agree with him???
Are they still Sheeple? Because honestly, You don't know and are not qualified to ascertain IF they've "questioned" at all. It appears to me you simply don't like their opinion. Condemning without fully understanding seems to me to be NO better than the so called "Thumpers" you are judging.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions