Sometimes the Law Truly is an ***

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19846121

I am stupified into virtual silence by this case - there really are some jobs-worths this world could do without. Not only have Councils now got us sorting and washing our rubbish in the name of 'recycling' (bunkum) but it seems that returning organic matter to the wilds from when it came is also against the law these days.

:shakes head in disbelief:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, the law is an ***. Which is what happens, by nature. Because laws do not include intent or actual damage. That's why DUI laws consider how high your BAC is, not how drunk you are or how badly you're driving. Lifelong alcoholics can be legally drunk but for all practical purposes sober; while teetotalers given a shandy can find themselves unable to hit themselves in the *** with both hands, yet legally sober.

Of course, one can also consider the repercussions of things the hedgerow Johnny Appleseed did not consider, such as invasive and non-native species proliferation. Our Everglades have a serious problem with Burmese Pythons because some pet owners decided to release them when they became too much of a burden; I'm sure they didn't think they would take over at the top of the local food chain and decimate the local wildlife.

I'm not suggesting that an apple tossed out a window would lead to local species extinction, but from small acorns mighty oaks do grow.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the law as such but a bye law enacted solely by the local council. Purely down to the local councillors not the law, I'm afraid, nothing to do with criminal or civil law.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a distinction that a normal person would make, Tez, when considering the story. Regardless it still doesn't make it any more sensible no matter what tier of the legal structure it comes from. Magistrates are usually pretty intelligent and down to earth people - I have no idea what went wrong with this one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a distinction that a normal person would make, Tez, when considering the story. Regardless it still doesn't make it any more sensible no matter what tier of the legal structure it comes from. Magistrates are usually pretty intelligent and down to earth people - I have no idea what went wrong with this one.

Are you suggesting I'm not normal? :) Perhaps you haven't had much to do with magistrates lol. They are easily swayed and stick to their own prejudices. They have little legal training and are very often councillors themselves or connected to the local council. People should have a look at the differences in 'the law', they may be surprised to find out how much isn't actually illegal except in their area! Have a look at your local parking 'laws' and see how much the council can make from parking fines just by making bye laws. You might also want to check how much power magistrates are going to get shortly. They should not be replacing judges and juries.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/apr/15/ukcrime.immigrationpolicy

Your story is actually quite common for magistrates, imagine what will happen when they can sentence people for longer.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: I wouldn't dare insinuate any such thing about 'normality', Tez :D. I just meant someone who doesn't brush up with the 'law' that often.

I hadn't heard, or don't remember hearing, about the change in the powers of Magistrates - that sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: I wouldn't dare insinuate any such thing about 'normality', Tez :D. I just meant someone who doesn't brush up with the 'law' that often.

I hadn't heard, or don't remember hearing, about the change in the powers of Magistrates - that sounds a bit dodgy to me.

It's part of this Tory thing about getting rid of juries. They are leading this country into perdition, typical Tories.

Latest Discussions