Some light sparring prep for tournament

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I can certainly see a lot of...interesting things from this based on my own training,but I won't comment because I don't know what your systems emphasis is and what the goal of this sparring is

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Need context of the sparring.. I don't know what's going on or what's being trained. What is is that's being taught?

OP
S

Sean Kovarovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I can certainly see a lot of...interesting things from this based on my own training,but I won't comment because I don't know what your systems emphasis is and what the goal of this sparring is

Please do. Feedback is welcome. We are just doing light sparring in general. I'm training on ways to enter with gloves on, which will eventually transition to takedowns and qinna with gloves

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What style of MA do you train and what kind if tournament are you entering?

OP
S

Sean Kovarovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train yang taijiquan. I am wanting to get into full contact San Shou, may end up being point sparring. Depends what's closest to me early next year.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would probably stay out of range a bit more and move more aggressively in and out.

If someone was really hunting you. I think you would eat a lot of shots you just don't need to hanging out where you are.

OP
S

Sean Kovarovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. Most of my training had been with a guided chaos practitioner. That means get close and destroy thier root, and look for a quick kill. This doesn't translate well to gloves, and Mike Graves is very skilled in multiple ranges and with competition. I'm not comfortable in long range and not as skilled as Mike yet. I'll work on it, and eventually post again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will explain an idea that has helped my sparring.

The first one is you can't see punches coming at speed so you have to find other ways to deal with them.

Footwork, angles, good entrances and exits deals with some without having to see them. You play the probabilities.

A good guard and good posture deal with some.

And then all you have to worry about is what's left.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will explain an idea that has helped my sparring.

The first one is you can't see punches coming at speed so you have to find other ways to deal with them.

Footwork, angles, good entrances and exits deals with some without having to see them. You play the probabilities.

A good guard and good posture deal with some.

And then all you have to worry about is what's left.

And one of the things my sons instructor emphasizes is if you see the opening....you probably missed it. You need to understand where the opening is going to be.

Latest Discussions