Some advice

J.M

White Belt
Reaction score
I’m looking to start bjj but I have pins and plates in my ankle after a pretty bad break when I was 17 I’m 22 now but still get pains as you do from surgery was wondering how I would fair in holds ect. And if anyone has been through it and has advice

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please check with a doctor first before you give it a try, not a bunch of nameless faceless web warriors with little or no medical background

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m looking to start bjj but I have pins and plates in my ankle after a pretty bad break when I was 17 I’m 22 now but still get pains as you do from surgery was wondering how I would fair in holds ect. And if anyone has been through it and has advice
You'll be fine as long as they are not twisting your ankle

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check with a doctor first and if you do train tap early even before the ankle starts to hurt, you don't extra respect for being a hero and holding on. Most will just think you're silly for doing that. Tap early live to roll another day

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As most everyone is going to say check with you doctor. Unless there are extenuating circumstances the bone(s) around pins & plates are supposed to grow back even stronger. So they say anyway.
I have a pretty messed up leg with 8 plates, forget how many pins, cadaver ligaments and tendons, muscle and bone graphs. There are plates on the Talus, Tibia, & Fibula near the ankle joint. The ankle is very limited in motion but considering the condition it was in, it does surprisingly good. It doesn't do very well with jumping/pounding/stomping. It would not do well in a joint lock and has never gotten the full range of motion back.
There are long plates near the knee joint and the base of the knee 12° out of place. My accident happened in 2001 and I still feel them if I move a certain way. Weather definitely plays a factor. It has never felt fully stable. I lost a chunk of calf/shin muscle which could have something to do with it.
I have pins/plates in other limbs which I never feel or am even aware they are there. No pain at all and just as strong as before. These were non-displaced breaks. FWIW. No pain at all and just as strong as before.
So all that said, I feel it has a lot to do with where the plates are and how bad the original injury was.

OP
J

J.M

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice think I will check with a doctor but from what’s been said I can’t see me having a problem next step just to get started not been in a gym for a few years so should be fun