Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Soldier Under Investigation for Reportedly Encouraging, Taping Toddler Fight

Man Currently Is in Parenting Classes

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6278310&page=1

By IMAEYEN IBANGA
Nov. 18, 2008
A video that apparently shows two toddlers fighting as an adult eggs them on has sparked an investigation that may cost a father custody of his child.
The video, which went viral on the Internet before being pulled, has left Alicia Scheideger, the mother of one of the children, devastated.

"I was horrified. It's a baby cockfight — just like somebody put two animals up to fight each other," Scheideger said.
Outrageous! Shameful! Almost as if he's bringing the war home and encouraging it.
Toddlers DO NOT understand even WHY they are hitting and punching each other and they definitely should NOT be encouraged to do so. ABC has the video on the link (provided above) and while it's down on You Tube it probably can be found elsewhere... but the video report states there are at least a dozen more videos like it elsewhere.
I'm against mollycoddling a child sure, but I am more against encouraging children to fight and use that as a teaching tool as to what to do with their frustration and anger. This is NOT the way to teach a child to toughen up and be strong and stand up against your adversaries. This is NOT the way to allow a child to learn that by hitting they can feel better about themselves.
While custody has been taken away the father and he's under investigation... whatever that means. Hopefully he'll be charged with abuse because that is what this is basically. As an adult he has the responsibility to step in and prevent harm to ANY child in his presence. He's a soldier for cripes sake...he's there to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves not encourage them on!!
:soapbox:

Ok discussion... What is the message that is being sent to the public when a soldier does something like this. What message is it that parents (even non soldiers) video tape and encourage fighting amongst children send to everyone (including children)? How can something like this be discouraged and even prevented?
I think that You Tube and other like video sites should put a ban on these types of videos but there are rouge sites out there that would just love to have them (increases hits and advertising exposure) since they post videos of death, killings and other horrendous material, but at least the "clean sites" can stay clean (relatively).

What do you all think?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"There are dozens of videos of toddlers fighting on the web"

"Some adults think its entertainment"

Not that I approve, but I do wonder why this one was singled out. I guess because this one was made by a soldier, its news? :idunno:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that I approve, but I do wonder why this one was singled out. I guess because this one was made by a soldier, its news? :idunno:

Yup. When I was in the Marines, we used to joke that if one of us went crazy and shot up a mall thirty years after a four year hitch, the headline would read "Ex-Marine Murder Spree Kills 8". There are some in this country who want to believe the worst of our servicemen, or that their "WAR==TEH BAD" viewpoint explains the actions of the few who go off the reservation.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I reply to some posts jokingly.....this however is not one of them....With the father showing this type of "leadership" it's no wonder why we're so ****ed up in the world.....He is not a father and as such should have no access to these children....A father is supposed to be someone that fosters sound judgment and solid morals....

Last edited by a moderator:

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is just weird to me...I haven't watched the video yet, and I'm not sure that I want to.

My father used to tell me all the time to "punch that punk kid in the nose" if I told him about an incident I had at school when I was little. I remember back in kidergarten, we had this discussion often. And I've always looked to my dad for solid, sound advice on things.

I just can't imagine him actually watching me fight in kindergarten and cheering me on. I'm quite sure if he saw something starting to escalate to that point, he would have carted me off by my waistband and that would be the end of it.

But, I also think that this is getting the exposure it is because of the father being a soldier.

If you want to see more of the same, just watch Cops on Fox.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is just weird to me...I haven't watched the video yet, and I'm not sure that I want to.

My father used to tell me all the time to "punch that punk kid in the nose" if I told him about an incident I had at school when I was little. I remember back in kidergarten, we had this discussion often. And I've always looked to my dad for solid, sound advice on things.

I just can't imagine him actually watching me fight in kindergarten and cheering me on. I'm quite sure if he saw something starting to escalate to that point, he would have carted me off by my waistband and that would be the end of it.

But, I also think that this is getting the exposure it is because of the father being a soldier.

If you want to see more of the same, just watch Cops on Fox.
The video should be watched... if not for the carnage (which there is none) but for the way the dad actually encouraged it and prevented an older kid (about 7 or 8 yrs old) from getting involved and stopping the fight.
Yes, it probably IS getting media attention due to the fact that it was a soldier doing this. I would have to go along with this because it does make a social statement about our military. No, it does NOT by any means say that ALL military personnel are like this but it does lend to the idea that this one isn't the only one with this type mind-set. That two kids fighting is funny enough to watch and tape and share with others. That a soldier who probably has seen fierce combat over a period of time still revels in it (as opposed to repelled by it) enough to allow and encourage small children, babies actually combat amongst themselves.

Children do fight, but they fight without really understanding the cause and the reasons. They are expressing themselves because they haven't been taught how to do so appropriately. Allowing this type of behavior only reinforces it. Again, I state that a soldier should know better. To me a soldier is one who is trained for violence and knows how to recognize it and how to intervene and is trained to protect others from further violence, especially if they (the recipients of violence) cannot defend themselves from it. This is a warrior's mindset or IMO it should be.
To me this soldier took all his training (paid for by our tax dollars) and threw it out the window.

I had an older brother who was well known for his fighting skills in school. I was involved in several fights myself and occasionally my brother would encourage me and give me tips here and there in carrying on the fight. Fight back, and win, and others will leave you alone. But my fighting days began around the 7th and 8th grade and went on up through high school. They weren't often, I recall roughly about maybe once a year, sometimes twice. It was educational to say the least but IMO it was at an "age appropriate" time of my life. To me part of growing up.
Two years old is NOT age appropriate.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey MaCaver I saw the video as well. It is terrible to treat children like dogs.

It can be emotionally scaring to have your parent encourage another to keep attacking you and refuse to help you.

I have heard of similar fights in which a kid would fight another kid using boxing gloves while the father "referee" To teach his son to be a "man".

It is sad that we live in a Sadistic world filled with those who wish to exploit there own children for glory and entertainment.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I decided not to watch it. Sad stuff, but I'm sure it's not just servicemen capable of this.
No not JUST servicemen but again... one would think they wouldn't succumb to this. Maybe I'm being naive but well... crap maybe I am naive :idunno: Ok, lets say I find this disappointing. Thing is IMO he should know better, probably more than most people.
WTF are they training those soldiers at BT? Just how to kill and not be killed? Apparently morality is up to the individual soldier? Just like it's up to the individual citizen??
:idunno: maybe I'm just naive and should shut up right now.

:miffer:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about those sex abuser martial arts teachers and priests? You going to paint them all with that brush too?

I can understand the outrage, but get off of the "soldier" thing. Nut's are everywhere and the bigger the org. the more you will find. Its a numbers game.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's old and tad cliche`...but I'm gonna say it anyway:
You have to have a license to fish.
You have to have a license to hunt.
You have to have a license to get married.
You have to have a license to carry a gun.
You have to have a license to drive a car.
You have to have a license for many things to indicate you have some level of responsibility....but not to have a kid. Go figure.....

I'm not against rough-housing....I loved it as a kid (and still do occasionally as a grown man...c'mon...what guy doesn't?) but there is a line and this guy crossed it in spades. That clip was WAAYYYYY beyond good old fashioned rough-housing. The kid was hurt and obviously not having a good time.

I'm also not against teaching a kid to stand up for themselves, but I don't think this fella' had that in mind. If he did....he definately went about teaching it the wrong way.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This in my mind has nothing to do with him being in the service but more to the point with him having poor parenting skills. You simply do not encourage kid's to fight like this. Very poor parenting.

Like Celtic Crippler said above it is funny (or not so funny) that you do not need a license to have a kid. :idunno:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
This in my mind has nothing to do with him being in the service but more to the point with him having poor parenting skills. You simply do not encourage kid's to fight like this. Very poor parenting.

Like Celtic Crippler said above it is funny (or not so funny) that you do not need a license to have a kid. :idunno:

I know...right? LOL

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree.

This could have as easily been a redneck farmer, a ghetto welfare daddy, or any thing in between.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

On the money about the military having nothing to do with this. Sometimes people forget where soldiers come from: they are drawn from the general population. Despite testing, what exists in the population makes it into the service, thankfully in small numbers.

About the government licensing, though..... makes me cringe. Could you imagine Hellary as the Secretary of Child Authorization? Introducing more government regulation when private matters are concerned usually makes things worse, not better. Also, who wants to see felony prosecutions for Wrongfully Conceiving a Child?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I admit, the word, "soldier," did stand out in the headline. Since this took place on base, and the mother complained to command, it pretty much has to come out. If dad were a plumber named Joe, the lead might have been different, but then again, mom would not be launching a formal complaint to her ex's boss.

On the positive, the military statement -- though understandably short on detail -- suggests the military is resolved about the well-being of military families. This story also brings attention to the phenomenon of toddler fights on YouTube, which I had no idea of. Another reason that, while I like YouTube, I don't let kids browse it on school computers.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I admit, the word, "soldier," did stand out in the headline. Since this took place on base, and the mother complained to command, it pretty much has to come out. If dad were a plumber named Joe, the lead might have been different, but then again, mom would not be launching a formal complaint to her ex's boss.

On the positive, the military statement -- though understandably short on detail -- suggests the military is resolved about the well-being of military families. This story also brings attention to the phenomenon of toddler fights on YouTube, which I had no idea of. Another reason that, while I like YouTube, I don't let kids browse it on school computers.

And yet it took a "soldier" being involved for the media to bring the toddler fights to light. I suppose that "Redneck/Ghetto Dad Tapes Toddlers Fighting" just wasn't intriguing enough to warrant the effort.

Latest Discussions