So what specific kata's have you been working on in the theme of the year?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a aside to the current question do you think you can learn the feeling of moving in armour without ever wearing armour?

(I've discussed this with Dan, so its an open question to everyone else)

My preconceptions and prior armour simulations did not hold up when i actually put on armour and performed the techniques.

Well that would be hard but I do have armor to use so for myself I know the feeling. Plus I have worked in fields with modern body armor so through the years for myself I have picked up some interesting experiences.
icon12.gif

So Saru1968 what aspect of this years theme are you working on?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These things never end well. Too hard to describe in written word - so until we meet... :D

Let's just say that there *should* be a bunch of stuff that is significantly different about KKSDR and the standard BJK stuff.

-Daniel

I understand. We certainly don't want things to end poorly. :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a aside to the current question do you think you can learn the feeling of moving in armour without ever wearing armour?

(I've discussed this with Dan, so its an open question to everyone else)

My preconceptions and prior armour simulations did not hold up when i actually put on armour and performed the techniques.

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of hours. I am ready to ramble... ;)

Isn't this like asking "How can you train for the street without fighting on the street or testing it a ring"?

If a person hasn't ever worn any body armor or anything that was heavy and restricted their movent, then I don't know if they could actually get the feeling.

Armor effects several things. There is the weight, that requires one to move in a very balance way (no leaning and keeping your feet under you), it also restricts movement, this can be in the form of joint articulation and torso range of flexibility. Depending on the armor worn, there are "handles" that can be used for you or against you and in other cases, used as weapons. I am sure there are many other things...

I believe if one understands these and knows what it feels like to carry additional weight distributed over the body, I believe training can be done with the feeling of armor without actually wearing armor to train.

I have worn modern armor, but I don't train in it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These things never end well. Too hard to describe in written word - so until we meet... :D

Let's just say that there *should* be a bunch of stuff that is significantly different about KKSDR and the standard BJK stuff.

-Daniel

Daniel, I forgot to add, yes, I look forward to training with you some more! ;)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for the last couple of hours. I am ready to ramble... ;)

Isn't this like asking "How can you train for the street without fighting on the street or testing it a ring"?

If a person hasn't ever worn any body armor or anything that was heavy and restricted their movent, then I don't know if they could actually get the feeling.

Armor effects several things. There is the weight, that requires one to move in a very balance way (no leaning and keeping your feet under you), it also restricts movement, this can be in the form of joint articulation and torso range of flexibility. Depending on the armor worn, there are "handles" that can be used for you or against you and in other cases, used as weapons. I am sure there are many other things...

I believe if one understands these and knows what it feels like to carry additional weight distributed over the body, I believe training can be done with the feeling of armor without actually wearing armor to train.

I have worn modern armor, but I don't train in it.

Just to add most of us in cold climates also for around three months wear very heavy coats and gloves, boots, hats and more. Sometimes this can give a feeling and if you get a chance to try it definately do some training outside in your heaviest winter gear.
icon14.gif
Besides it is very, very practical as you might be wearing just such clothing if you are ever attacked!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to add most of us in cold climates also for around three months wear very heavy coats and gloves, boots, hats and more. Sometimes this can give a feeling and if you get a chance to try it definately do some training outside in your heaviest winter gear.
icon14.gif
Besides it is very, very practical as you might be wearing just such clothing if you are ever attacked!

Winter gear? What is winter? :p

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Dave you are out of luck there.
icon6.gif

That just reminded me of the scenes in "A Christmas Story" where the mom dressed up the little brother with so much winter gear that he couldn't hardly move and ended being pushed down in the snow and his brother had to help him up. :rofl: What a funny scene!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of my practitioner's in IRT were experiencing moving in a different type of armor (Kendo) and while not quite yoroi it can definately give you a different feel than just your uniform. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• $Class Kendo Sparring 001MartialTalk.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 97
  • $Class Kendo Sparring 003MartialTalk.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 104
  • $Class Kendo Sparring 004MartialTalk.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 100
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to start to explore the kata Kata ho next week. If anyone has some tips I would be more than happy to hear your view points?

Latest Discussions