Gyokko Ryu technique Ren'yo

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been practicing Ren'yo over the last week or so on top of my other training and was wondering what are some other peoples henka that they enjoy doing off of Ren'yo?

Basic Movement of Ren'yo is:

Uke punches and you strike inside (Jodan Uke) his arm then he Kicks and you step outside and kick his striking leg. (Keri Gaeshi) Then uke grabs your lapel and you knife hand strike his neck (Shuto) armbar and Ura Gyaku and then Hon Gyaku and finally into a wrist takedown (Omote Gyaku) with a kick.

Hopefully even now Bujinkan people can get a picture of this the way I laid it out.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I have been practicing Ren'yo over the last week or so on top of my other training and was wondering what are some other peoples henka that they enjoy doing off of Ren'yo?
A very simple one is to kick uke's opposite leg after defending against their kick. Or, instead of keri kudaki, catch uke's kick with your foot and overextend it.
I just thought of a nasty henka that Noguchi sensei showed us a few years ago. Immediately after defending the kick, pivot cc and strike with left boshiken up into uke's testicles from behind (ura tarako boshi ? :p). Right hand can redirect uke's grab if needed.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
A very simple one is to kick uke's opposite leg after defending against their kick. Or, instead of keri kudaki, catch uke's kick with your foot and overextend it.
I just thought of a nasty henka that Noguchi sensei showed us a few years ago. Immediately after defending the kick, pivot cc and strike with left boshiken up into uke's testicles from behind (ura tarako boshi ? :p). Right hand can redirect uke's grab if needed.

Hey Kreth,

I think I might have seen that nasty testicle boshiken strike. I like the one where you catch uke's kick and overextend it. However, I am a very flexible person and even then that is really scary for the me/uke.
icon11.gif
(as if almost everything isn't)

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I think I might have seen that nasty testicle boshiken strike.
I jumped halfway across his dojo when he did that to me. :lol:
Another one: When uke does his lapel grab, trap his hand with your right, then step across with your left, using your left arm/shoulder to bar the elbow. Usually it works best for me if I extend my left arm as if trying to touch uke's left shoulder. Then you can kick upwards with the left foot into uke's groin and throw via the armbar, a nasty uchi mata-type throw.
Or: Do the kata as written up until omote gyaku. Then, instead of the normal kick, wait until uke is on the way down and hit him with either a stomp or axe kick to the chest or face.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I jumped halfway across his dojo when he did that to me. :lol:
Another one: When uke does his lapel grab, trap his hand with your right, then step across with your left, using your left arm/shoulder to bar the elbow. Usually it works best for me if I extend my left arm as if trying to touch uke's left shoulder. Then you can kick upwards with the left foot into uke's groin and throw via the armbar, a nasty uchi mata-type throw.
Or: Do the kata as written up until omote gyaku. Then, instead of the normal kick, wait until uke is on the way down and hit him with either a stomp or axe kick to the chest or face.

That is a nice one, I will have to give that a try. (the first henka)

I like the second henka you put out here as well that one is very good and efficient in my book.

I like to also take the basic form and the one you just mentioned at the end and put a senban shuriken or Shuko in/on my hands and practice the techniques. (both tools are training tools of course :rofl:)

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I like the second henka you put out here as well that one is very good and efficient in my book.
I was training with a friend once and had him try that henka. He'd never tried an axe kick before and ended up coming down on my sternum almost full-force. I slammed down on my back, waved him off when he asked if I was ok (no wind to speak with :p) and just lay there for a few minutes... :lol:
The only problem I have with henka is when people train in Japan or at a seminar, and think that because Hatsumi sensei's movement is so free, they can do whatever they want. I love henka, but I try to do what I'm shown. Later on, I'll analyze it, try to figure out exactly why each movement is there, then play around with henka, *on my own time.*

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I was training with a friend once and had him try that henka. He'd never tried an axe kick before and ended up coming down on my sternum almost full-force. I slammed down on my back, waved him off when he asked if I was ok (no wind to speak with :p) and just lay there for a few minutes... :lol:
The only problem I have with henka is when people train in Japan or at a seminar, and think that because Hatsumi sensei's movement is so free, they can do whatever they want. I love henka, but I try to do what I'm shown. Later on, I'll analyze it, try to figure out exactly why each movement is there, then play around with henka, *on my own time.*

Absolutely, I am with you there one hundred percent. When the Boss is showing a technique that is what you should be working on.
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing that I like to do is have the uke throw a cross or big looping roundhouse punch and follow it up with a rear leg front kick. Does not change the technique much Other than you generally have less time to get off line and need to have your movement be very precise.

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Another thing that I like to do is have the uke throw a cross or big looping roundhouse punch and follow it up with a rear leg front kick. Does not change the technique much Other than you generally have less time to get off line and need to have your movement be very precise.
Depending on how you kick uke's leg, he may be turned slightly away from you. When I'm uke, I always want to throw an elbow. That's another interesting attack to work with, changes the space and timing slightly.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Depending on how you kick uke's leg, he may be turned slightly away from you. When I'm uke, I always want to throw an elbow. That's another interesting attack to work with, changes the space and timing slightly.

Yes if you kick his leg and his back ends up to you that gives all new kinds of possibilities.

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Yes if you kick his leg and his back ends up to you that gives all new kinds of possibilities.
Once in a while, I like to do a sort of controlled randori. You start with a kata, but depending on actions of uke and tori, you can quickly get into henka. Not something you want to do with a brand new student, but you can work at different speeds to get students used to unscripted attacks.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Once in a while, I like to do a sort of controlled randori. You start with a kata, but depending on actions of uke and tori, you can quickly get into henka. Not something you want to do with a brand new student, but you can work at different speeds to get students used to unscripted attacks.

Hey Kreth,

That sounds great. I like to put on headgear and belly pads and let the uke attack with full intent to hit and do substantial damage. That helps to bring up speed and provide a threat level of damage if you do not move your feet. Of course I only like to do this after quite a bit of slow practice and working on perfecting the technique. (slow is always good :p)

Brian R. VanCise

Bujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Talking about Renyo, to me, since the kata includes several attacks and responses to them I like to explore the dynamics between these; the initial attack from Uke, the response from Tori and the reaction and counter attack from Uke. This Kata clearly shows dynamics in a real fight scenario where an attack might lead to another or not depending on the response.

So, if the first attack is not countered in a "correct" way, there may not be a follow up kick at all but a punch or a move into a defensive position by Uke. The same goes for the defense against the kick. Some people dont seem to reflect on the impact of the counterattack thus I have seen some pretty funny situations where Uke has reached out to grab the lapel only because the Kata says so and in reality he was in such a lousy position that doing just that would be the least intelligent way to react in real life.

This is how I approach the Kata, by checking each "step" along the way and exploring it with basic knowledge of taijutsu, and until i´ve fully covered the whole Kata I do not like to move into any henka.

Best Regards /

Bujin

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bujin said:
Talking about Renyo, to me, since the kata includes several attacks and responses to them I like to explore the dynamics between these; the initial attack from Uke, the response from Tori and the reaction and counter attack from Uke. This Kata clearly shows dynamics in a real fight scenario where an attack might lead to another or not depending on the response.

So, if the first attack is not countered in a "correct" way, there may not be a follow up kick at all but a punch or a move into a defensive position by Uke. The same goes for the defense against the kick. Some people dont seem to reflect on the impact of the counterattack thus I have seen some pretty funny situations where Uke has reached out to grab the lapel only because the Kata says so and in reality he was in such a lousy position that doing just that would be the least intelligent way to react in real life.

This is how I approach the Kata, by checking each "step" along the way and exploring it with basic knowledge of taijutsu, and until i´ve fully covered the whole Kata I do not like to move into any henka.

Best Regards /

Bujin

Nice post and a very good way to train I might add.

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bujin said:
This is kind of what I was getting at in my earlier post. It's interesting to break down the kata and try to figure out exactly why uke and tori do what they do.
thus I have seen some pretty funny situations where Uke has reached out to grab the lapel only because the Kata says so and in reality he was in such a lousy position that doing just that would be the least intelligent way to react in real life.
Yeah, I was training Renyo once with a friend, and clipped his Achilles Tendon just right. His leg collapsed when he put it down from the kick. He pushed back up to his feet and proceeded with the grab... :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just started working renyo myself... I havnt looked so much at any henka... Ive been focusing on trying to "force" the follow up attacks... similar to what Bujinsaid... I'm trying to make sure that my techniques and positions are optimal that after the strike, the Uke WANTS to kick, and after the kick, he HAS to grab to stabilize...

Its not as easy as It sounds. LOL!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I just started working renyo myself... I havnt looked so much at any henka... Ive been focusing on trying to "force" the follow up attacks... similar to what Bujinsaid... I'm trying to make sure that my techniques and positions are optimal that after the strike, the Uke WANTS to kick, and after the kick, he HAS to grab to stabilize...

Its not as easy as It sounds. LOL!

Is that not the truth.
icon10.gif

Brian R. VanCise

Bujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
and after the kick, he HAS to grab to stabilize...

Thats exacly how I used to do it and even though I´ve seen many others do it the same way, even high ranking people showing it like that, I have moved away from that approach (at least at this point in training).

If Uke were to grab because he lost his balance it would be the easiest thing in the world to follow up with a throw or some other type of balance take down. Why on earth would Tori let him get his balance?

The Ura Kiten strike to Ukes head suggests to me that he has a rather firm grip that needs to be countered by the strike and the move to hon gyaku/ura gyaku. I see it more as an instictive grab by Uke to prevent Tori from moving away after having done the counter kick. Uke could also follow up with a left hand punch. Thus Tori strikes Uko to re-take the initiative and stop incoming left hand attacks. On ukes reaction from the strike Tori moves into the control grip, which Uke of course resists, leading to the Omote Kote Gyaku.

This move works really fine for me but its just my interpretation of the Kata.

Best Regards /

Bujin

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the true beauties of Budo Taijutsu is that there are so many different ways to go during the course of any waza when working on henka. If uke does something different then you need to flow into something else.

Take the basic waza and the various shown henka and then explore and see what you can find. That is beautiful! As a practitioner it is also enjoyable to explore what could be in the moment. That is truly one of the great gifts of Hatsumi Sensei's Budo.

Brian R. VanCise

Latest Discussions