Gyokko Ryu technique Ren'yo

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i agree with bujin cause well how many times have you been goin through the movements and thought i wouldnt of done that cause thats just wrong for the body to do that i also feel that you have to consider how fast your doin your technique as the body will change at different speeds and this has to be considered aswell being uke you have to make it more realistic so if its not working dont just go through the motions just cause you think thats right put them right and if you cant help then the instructor should be able to help

thanks

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i agree with bujin cause well how many times have you been goin through the movements and thought i wouldnt of done that cause thats just wrong for the body to do that i also feel that you have to consider how fast your doin your technique as the body will change at different speeds and this has to be considered aswell being uke you have to make it more realistic so if its not working dont just go through the motions just cause you think thats right put them right and if you cant help then the instructor should be able to help

thanks
One word. Punctuation.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i also feel that you have to consider how fast your doin your technique as the body will change at different speeds

I would disagree... IMO if done correctly only the speed changes (with the exception of 0 speed). Speed is a component that can be put in and taken out without changing the principles. Although there are many things that can be negatively changed by stopping, because it is important to keep moving (fast or slow).

I would stick my neck out and say IMO if something feels different when done with speed than without speed, balance is probably being lost (something is coming out of alignment head, shoulders, hips, heels). It should feel the same, but faster or slower.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would stick my neck out and say IMO if something feels different when done with speed than without speed, balance is probably being lost (something is coming out of alignment head, shoulders, hips, heels). It should feel the same, but faster or slower.

Just my .02 cents worth.

I understand where you are coming from... BUT... I think that certain attacks and things, when done slow, dont mimic the dynamic of the real attack... because of the level of force and overcommitmnet the balance doesnt change the way it would for real... UNLESS your Uke understands the differernce and "Fakes it"

Ive seen guys throw in fights, fail to connect and stagger forward or fall because they had so much behind the hit and nothing to stop it... IMO a slow controlled punch in a dojo situation wont replicate that.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive seen guys throw in fights, fail to connect and stagger forward or fall because they had so much behind the hit and nothing to stop it... IMO a slow controlled punch in a dojo situation wont replicate that.

Why would I want to replicate poor fighting skills? Even as uke, I want to attack with realism, but also with good balanced kamae. IMO, those guys who throw it all in like you describe make it that much easier to take down. It is the skilled person that doesn't over commit that is more difficult to deal with.

There is a difference between a committed attack and over committed attack. The first will have balance and the latter will not.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would I want to replicate poor fighting skills? Even as uke, I want to attack with realism, but also with good balanced kamae.

Take this with a grain of salt, cuz I dont actually know what I am talking about, this is just my opinion... but...

I know a lot of people feel a punch is a punch, and train that way, but I am of the school of thinking that they are NOT the same, and train against both. As you say, one has balance and one does not, one is easier to counter, and one is not... But try doing the same counter against both types of attacks, and you might find that what works against an attacker with good balance and a solid stance might not unless you chase the off balance guy...and why would you wanna do that? Now... a skilled practitioner would know better and simply not do it, but at lower levels of training, or somone with the same eyes, might not... they might be so concerned about making the technique work, that they put themselves in a bad place. Because of that *I* feel that seeing and working against both helps cement the idea in the mind of the student that its a fluid situation... anyhow, I know it helped me.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a lot of people feel a punch is a punch, and train that way, but I am of the school of thinking that they are NOT the same, and train against both.

IMO, I believe they are the same. Just the over committed attacker breaks his own balance and the committed attacker must have his balance broken by you. In either case it is also important to have proper distance and timing.

Just my .02 cents worth.

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thats so true cryozombie bro some one out of control fights differently to some one in control and a good practitioner and instructor will look at that and prepare themselves and others they train with for all basic outcomes eg drunks p fri addicts and other martial artists etc what will happen when you fight these sorts of ppl what will work what wont ppl on fri dont feel pain so you break them so they cant move to atack you ,also what if your injured hands tied my shidoshi makes sure we all know these situations and what we can do
thanks guys

sorry bout the punctuation school wasnt as interestin as trainin

Latest Discussions