So, I asked ChatGPT about Isshinryu...nope

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I asked ChatGPT what distinguishes it from other Okinawan karate styles. It is, er, close...but no cigar. Here's what it said:

Isshinryu is a style of Okinawan karate that was founded by Tatsuo Shimabuku in the late 1950s. While Isshinryu shares many similarities with other Okinawan karate styles, there are several key differences that set it apart:
  1. Simplicity: Isshinryu emphasizes simple and direct techniques that are designed to be effective in real-life situations. The style eschews flashy or complicated techniques in favor of practical and efficient movements.
  2. Stances: Isshinryu uses a lower stance than many other Okinawan karate styles, with the feet placed closer together. This stance is intended to provide greater stability and mobility, while also reducing the risk of injury.
  3. Kata: Isshinryu has fewer kata (pre-arranged forms) than many other Okinawan karate styles. The kata in Isshinryu are shorter and more focused, with an emphasis on practical techniques that can be used in real-life situations.
  4. Blocks: Isshinryu uses a unique block called the "soto uke," which involves using the forearms to block incoming strikes. This block is designed to be more efficient and effective than the more common "juji uke" (X-block) used in many other Okinawan karate styles.
  5. Weapons: While many Okinawan karate styles include training with traditional weapons such as the bo, sai, and nunchaku, Isshinryu focuses primarily on empty-hand techniques. The style does include some training with the bo staff, but this is less emphasized than in other styles.
Overall, Isshinryu is characterized by its simplicity, efficiency, and practicality, with an emphasis on using techniques that are effective in real-life self-defense situations. These differences set it apart from many other Okinawan karate styles, while still retaining the core principles and techniques of traditional Okinawan karate.

So what's wrong? Well, it completely neglects the vertical fist, which is formed differently and delivered differently, and which is probably the single most obvious difference. It states Isshinryu stances are lower; they are not, they are higher. But it was correct that the feet are closer together. It is correct about kata. However, the comments for #4, blocks, was just weird. It is true that Isshinryu uses 'meat blocks' as opposed to 'bone blocks', but the X block isn't the most common block used by other styles, and Isshinryu also uses the X block for some things.

Isshinryu also has three weapons; bo, sai, and tonfa (tuifa as we call it).

The reason I asked was to see how it did with something I actually know something about. I'd judge it as a swing and a miss.

On the other hand, I asked it to write a poem for my wife's birthday. It did so well that I am angry now because I can't give it to her; it would be a lie because I didn't write it, but I wish I had. Dang.