Smallest Star with a Planet

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any which way, it would be great to have a defintite 'contact' to do away with the 'religious' problem once and for all. Because until we ditch that we shall always be cowering tribes hacking at each other over perceived 'divine will'.
Unless it turns out that this star-faring race happen to be warriors on a crusade to convert the universe to some goofy, violent Alpha Centaurian religion. Then we're screwed.

If we ever do make "Contact" it will not diminish the "religious problem" but in fact support it.
If I recall my readings (somewhere amongst the cobwebs of my memory... please don't ask me to quote verbatum, just trust me on it eh?) that the (Christian) scriptures mention God as having children beyond this world and that they number as the stars. I'm sure it's probably mentioned in a passage or three in the Korhan and other religious text.
Considering a divine plan it would be pretty careless to create life on just ONE planet, one system, one galaxy and one universe. If the God of the earth is the all knowing, all powerful all whatever then wouldn't it make sense that he has life on other worlds and created hundreds of millions of earth like planets, or at least created life to adapt to whatever planetary environmental conditions it may have?
Does life HAVE to have earth like conditions to exist? Does intelligent life HAVE to look like us (humanoid) to be a space-faring race? How do we know? Sure, biologist, genetic scientists and paleontologists and on and on those who in the wide wonderful world of (earth) science can help point the way but we cannot ever say they're 100% accurate... I dont' think they would even say they're 100% accurate... their egos may say ... "well, we're probably 86.8 % accurate" ... I mean they DID study in school didn't they??

So looking at the photos taken by Hubble and realizing what we're seeing. That a galaxy has billions of stars and each star is in essence a sun and that all that rock and debris formed together to make planetary systems captured by each star's gravity... we CANNOT be the only ones out there.

(see photos and contemplate for a bit... also remember that it's only covering just that tiny portion of the universe... :uhyeah:

Attachments

• $Veil_wm_cte.jpg
    $Veil_wm_cte.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 67
  • $Stellar Jewel Box.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 69
  • $Stars and Dust Across Corona Australis.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 68
  • $Copy of GALAXYS.jpg
    $Copy of GALAXYS.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 73

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Likely we are not, but maybe we are the most technologically advanced... Now THERE’S a scary thought…. Microsoft Vista just may be the most advanced software in the Universe :jaw-dropping:

If that's true then only one thing to say...

"There goes the neighborhood!"

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some very good points, gentlemen.

Cory, after all the Invaders from Another World films, you'd think that I'd've thought of that possible scenario wouldn't you :lol:?

Unless it turns out tho' that intersteller overdrive is as easy as pie, then the sheer effort and resources involved would likely preclude a Species Jihad ... {why have I now got "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said" going through my mind :D}.

Caver, as to there being other inhabited worlds out there, we have no proof one way or the other but I reckon the odds favour it. Given that the rules that govern matter in this universe seem to not select against self-replicating molecules, it would be quirky indeed if Earth is the only place it's happened.

On the "Children of God" subject, aren't the scriptures speaking of Angels when the 'numberless as the stars' subject comes up? Now that's scary put into context ... especially when combined with the legends of 'fallen Angels' interbreeding with humankind :eek:.

Beautiful pictures by the way :tup:.

Finally, I oh-so-hope that in this case Xue is wrong - what a horrifying future that points to :).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Another possibility... Maybe an invasion fleet has already visited us but they were so small they were swallowed by a dog

Thank You Douglas Adams :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That thought did occur to me (just don't ask me to accurately spell Vl'hurg or G'Gugvuntt tho' ... oh, I just did ... all hail the mighty 'Tinternet) :lol:.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fascinating. My only sadness when I hear of the increasing prevelence of planetary bodies, is the fact that we (to public knowledge) have not yet had an encounter with a star-faring civilisation.

The odds that we are the first 'potential' are remote to say the least, so the lack of contact means:

1) Technological species tend not exist in contingent time frames
2a) Distances between species precludes contact
2b) Interstellar travel is not practically feasible
3) Other advanced species practise a 'Prime Directive' philosophy
4a) Contact has been 'hidden', for various reasons, either from our side or 'theirs'
4b) Contact has been limited because, as espoused in many a Sci-Fi plot, we are too aggresive for inclusion in the Interstellar Polity.

Any which way, it would be great to have a defintite 'contact' to do away with the 'religious' problem once and for all. Because until we ditch that we shall always be cowering tribes hacking at each other over perceived 'divine will'.

Number one is interesting, as this lends to conditions within the universe that may only exist in a certain window where a species may develop to travel and leave a planet. And this window could be around the age of the galaxy the star is in.

Number 2a is possible, but I hope not as this would mean that in the age of the universe so far that there is a cap on knowledge and technology.

Where is 2B I think you are referring to the technology being there, but the time frame is just to large and the biology factors have not been resolved. I also hope not as well.

Number 3 scares me. If they practice a "Prime Directive", it means they have grown beyond the need to conquer. It scares me as in this gives hope.

Number 4A is very plausible. They would not wish to cause mass hysteria, in our culture.

Number 4B worries me, as if it is like 3, this means they have a greater understanding and are waiting for our maturity. Yet, I would expect to have at least one war like culture to find another culture. But given our location (* Luck *), we are at the tip of a galaxy that is no where near the center of the universe. We might be that Island of Natives or that last Indian Tribe driven into the Everglades or the Bush, that it just is not worth their effort to come talk to or conquer us.

Which leads me to believe there is a huge party going on out there right now and we are not invited. :(

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Considering a divine plan it would be pretty careless to create life on just ONE planet, one system, one galaxy and one universe. If the God of the earth is the all knowing, all powerful all whatever then wouldn't it make sense that he has life on other worlds and created hundreds of millions of earth like planets, or at least created life to adapt to whatever planetary environmental conditions it may have?

And consider that the dreams of Brahma continually generate new worlds. It is clear that the ancients thought about the possibility of other worlds. The essential concept may have been different to what we envision now but the expanded vision was there (for some religious groups anyway).

Does life HAVE to have earth like conditions to exist? Does intelligent life HAVE to look like us (humanoid) to be a space-faring race? How do we know? Sure, biologist, genetic scientists and paleontologists and on and on those who in the wide wonderful world of (earth) science can help point the way but we cannot ever say they're 100% accurate... I dont' think they would even say they're 100% accurate... their egos may say ... "well, we're probably 86.8 % accurate" ... I mean they DID study in school didn't they??

Well, no, life probably doesn't need Earthlike conditions, but technological advancement would need some pretty interesting things to happens. Consider a planet inhabited by giant slime moulds. They don't move that much, don't eat that much, and would probably have no need for space travel. Sentient trees, sponges, strange floaty things from a helium atmosphere? They may simply exist without the need to develop advanced technology so will never even raise the possibility of space travel.

What about technologically advanced, space-faring cephalopods from a methane atmosphere? That's just freaky. The conditions required for the development of life are not well understood and could be much broader than we might think.

Likely we are not, but maybe we are the most technologically advanced... Now THERE’S a scary thought…. Microsoft Vista just may be the most advanced software in the Universe :jaw-dropping:

Oh God, I hope not.