SLPD Apologizes For Raids

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
St. Louis police apologize for raids before World Agriculture Forum in 2003

"The St. Louis Board of Police Commissioners apologized and agreed to pay damages to four people who were among those detained or searched because they intended to protest genetically modified crops at the forum."

Apparently, the STLPD in 2003...

"— Damaged property, slashed bike tires and drenched clothing with urine at one raided building.

— Detained a dozen circus performers for riding bicycles without a license — a rarely cited violation taken off the law books two years earlier.

— Pulled activists out of a van and told them they were violating the seat belt law. The driver was taken in on drug charges for what turned out to be vitamins, her lawyer said.

— Planned raids with a building inspector on at least two buildings that were housing local and visiting activists and arrested 15 people for staying there.

The raids stemmed from fear that St. Louis might encounter violent demonstrations similar to the riots at other agriculture events in Seattle and Washington, D.C., in previous years."

Stories like this make me both happy and sad. I'm happy that the people that stuck with the lawsuit won, yet sad that the police fell victim to their own escalation of force due to what I think is post 9-11 paranoia and WTO protests.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Prevention is always better than a CURE....in this case....trying to cure the preventions....

Two wrongs never equals - one right!

Aloha

Latest Discussions