Slightly overzealous cops?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I think being arrested for making faces at a dog is a bit much...

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah a little over board there.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a cop. I took the tests for the academy and everything, but I backed out because there are so many idiots in the world like this lady. Cops often get a bad rap even after being patience above and beyond with people who are just idiots. The audacity people show towards men and women in uniform is rediculous anymore. Sure the police could of handled the situation another way. The article did say she seemed drunk. Why didn't the police arrest her for public intoxication? I little cooroperation by Ms Hutchinson, I imagine, would have been appreciated. Wish I knew the whole story.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah a little over board there.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a cop. I took the tests for the academy and everything, but I backed out because there are so many idiots in the world like this lady. Cops often get a bad rap even after being patience above and beyond with people who are just idiots. The audacity people show towards men and women in uniform is rediculous anymore. Sure the police could of handled the situation another way. The article did say she seemed drunk. Why didn't the police arrest her for public intoxication? I little cooroperation by Ms Hutchinson, I imagine, would have been appreciated. Wish I knew the whole story.

Its a tough deal for police. They are required to make lawful decisions, preferably from an unbiased position, but they are people. This woman was in the officers face and that would have annoyed him, then she appeared to be trying to annoy his dog. I can see how he would just get to a point where enough was enough.

On the other hand, I don't think Ms Hutchinson did anything to be prosecuted for. Overzealous policing? Maybe. But maybe just frustrated policing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its a tough deal for police. They are required to make lawful decisions, preferably from an unbiased position, but they are people. This woman was in the officers face and that would have annoyed him, then she appeared to be trying to annoy his dog. I can see how he would just get to a point where enough was enough.

On the other hand, I don't think Ms Hutchinson did anything to be prosecuted for. Overzealous policing? Maybe. But maybe just frustrated policing.

All that in a quaint New England town barely big enough for a stoplight :rolleyes:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds silly on the face of it.

Unless you're the one who has to calm down 80 to 100 lbs. of "maligator" (a common nickname among K9 officers for a Belgian Malinois) that's been taunted for several minutes.

Maybe the trooper should have just let the dog at the woman?

I'm not saying that arrest for taunting was the right solution; in VA, I'd have simply taken her in for DIP or refusing to leave the scene after being directed by police, based on the article. I hope no one is suggesting that someone who is interfering in the investigation of a brawl, is intoxicated, and is refusing to obey the directions of a police officer isn't choosing to be a problem child...

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think what got me was the charge of cruelty to animals because she may have mentally abused the K9 by making faces at it. As for being DIP, well, that would have been a much more likely charge to stick. The whole scenario goes haywire with the mental cruelty to the police K9. Does this mean I can now be charged with "mentally assaulting" a police officer if I make a face at him? Yes, yes, I understand how thankless a job being a cop is. It's a job that I wouldn't do but am glad that someone does.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds silly, but I wonder if the concern was provocation? Some animals consider staring to be a form of dominance, and will move to correct if they feel they are being wrongly placed in the submissive role. I, for one, am not about to try to establish dominance over a police dog.

This quote is just as ridiculous:
“Prosecuting a woman for ‘staring’ at a police dog is absurd,” said her lawyer, public defender Kelly Green. “People are allowed to make faces at police dogs and officers to express their disapproval. It’s constitutional expression.”

Yup, good luck explaining to Officer Fluffy as he's gnawing on your arm that you have a constitutional right to make faces at him.
icon14.gif

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't say whether or not this person crossed the line, but it IS unlawful to provoke canine officers (the dog, not the handler), isn't it? I've heard this before.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say whether or not this person crossed the line, but it IS unlawful to provoke canine officers (the dog, not the handler), isn't it? I've heard this before.
It depends on state and local law, and the term "provoke" is subject to a lot of interpretation.

However... It ain't a smart idea. Many K9 cruisers are outfitted in a way that the dog can get out on their own under certain circumstances...

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have many experiences with.....ah....what was the phrase?......over zealous cops.

Odd. Ive only dealt with the police 3 or 4 times in my life. As best as I can recall two were tickets I deserved and one 911 hang-up call many years ago by my (then) little cousin. If you are having that many police contacts Id rethink my hangouts.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have many experiences with.....ah....what was the phrase?......over zealous cops.

Odd. Ive only dealt with the police 3 or 4 times in my life. As best as I can recall two were tickets I deserved and one 911 hang-up call many years ago by my (then) little cousin. If you are having that many police contacts Id rethink my hangouts.

I think it's a little hastey to make that suggestion to Hand Sword. I don't know where HS lives, but hell, most of the cops in PDX are over zealous.
As far as the dog... the article isn't providing me with enough information to even have an opinion.

Latest Discussions