SKK Pinan 1& Kata 1

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The early SKK forms did not end up in the same place as you started from, this was not their intent. You were supposted to end up facing the same direction as when you first started. You were supposed to end up at a certain location.
As far as the stances go, most colored belts and even some black belts, have one stance width when the strong side is forward and another when the weak side is forward. The reason for knowing your exact ending point was all about angles and stance width. By simply turning the wrong angle you would end up in the wrong place.
The most common problem found was the strong side forward vs weak side forward,(different widths). Even during the pivoting footwork the various pivoting stance widths would change.
All of this would place you in the incorrect ending location / direction.

yup, I cant tell you how many times students have tried to end up in the same spot and really get frazzled when they can't!!

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yup, I cant tell you how many times students have tried to end up in the same spot and really get frazzled when they can't!!

My old instructor did that to us on purpose. He told us to make our form start and end at the same point using perfect half-moons.

After about thirty attempts, he said, "The reason you can't do it is it's impossible. Then he made us measure it out and tape out our forms on the ground.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I move around so much when I do my forms I could NEVER end up in the same spot....

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I move around so much when I do my forms I could NEVER end up in the same spot....

Well, for a couple, you're SUPPOSED to begin and end in the same place. Kata 5, for instance, and that bit of information came directly from George pesare.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Prof. Cerio looks like he is "jumping" instead of Half-mooning in his demonstration of the Pinians..

My Humble and Ignorant .02 cents

Chris

But, if you watch closely, he ends almost in the exact spot that he started the form in.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, for a couple, you're SUPPOSED to begin and end in the same place. Kata 5, for instance, and that bit of information came directly from George pesare.
If a form was designed to do that...then I guess it matters...if the intent was to teach consistency in footwork...My point is that I no longer focus on getting my footwork to be exact...as long as the stance is correct...BUT then that's me and why I'm a free agent and part of a team...:)

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
If a form was designed to do that...then I guess it matters...if the intent was to teach consistency in footwork...My point is that I no longer focus on getting my footwork to be exact...as long as the stance is correct...BUT then that's me and why I'm a free agent and NOT part of a team...:)
funny how leaving out one word changes everything.....24 inches of snow has left me a little groggy..."sorry 'bout that chief"

Latest Discussions