Siu Nim Tau-Demo

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that Fut sao lineage SNT? I believe you had mentioned before that you also trained in some Yip Man lineage.
Other than a couple of minor differences, that is how we train the form as well in Leung Ting lineage, which as you know, is from Yip Man's line.

Nice job BTW. I heard the sirens at the very beginning and half way expected to see a cop come up to you and tell you to move along.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about the Fak Sao movement or whisking arm as you execute it here. I notice it's broken down into 2 distinct movements; first the elbow moves out, then the forearm and hand extend outward almost like a bi-fold door. I'm interested in your lineage's thought or intent behind that, and your applications of it if you'd like to elaborate.

I bring it up because I am used to seeing it as a more rapid, continuous movement in the SNT form my school does. As far as application, sometimes in chi sau and sparring, fak sao is a strike to the opponents neck. The elbow is already in position for that so it would be akin to second half of the movement as you perform it. However, the fak sao is also used in my school frequently as a strike to an opponent far outside our centerline, or to apply pressure to an opponent's head or neck to counter an attempted head lock / grab from the side and in those cases it is a continuous extension of the arm.

Also, thanks for posting the video!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about the Fak Sao movement or whisking arm as you execute it here. I notice it's broken down into 2 distinct movements; first the elbow moves out, then the forearm and hand extend outward almost like a bi-fold door. I'm interested in your lineage's thought or intent behind that, and your applications of it if you'd like to elaborate.

I bring it up because I am used to seeing it as a more rapid, continuous movement in the SNT form my school does. As far as application, sometimes in chi sau and sparring, fak sao is a strike to the opponents neck. The elbow is already in position for that so it would be akin to second half of the movement as you perform it. However, the fak sao is also used in my school frequently as a strike to an opponent far outside our centerline, or to apply pressure to an opponent's head or neck to counter an attempted head lock / grab from the side and in those cases it is a continuous extension of the arm.

I can think at least 2 usages. First motion - an "elbow" strike, not necessary the elbow itself, but with the upper arm. Second motion - follow through (after re-facing) with the Fak as you opponent react to the first strike

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool stuff. I'm curious as to why the finger thrusts at 1:43 go above the head.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that Fut sao lineage SNT? I believe you had mentioned before that you also trained in some Yip Man lineage.
Other than a couple of minor differences, that is how we train the form as well in Leung Ting lineage, which as you know, is from Yip Man's line.

Nice job BTW. I heard the sirens at the very beginning and half way expected to see a cop come up to you and tell you to move along.

LOL yeah NYC I think was on high alert that day cops where everywhere. I was only a 5 min walk from where the twin towers where attack.

Yes this Siu Nim Tau form is from the Fut Sao lineage. it's very similar to the Ip Man version also. Before I trained in Fut Sao I learnt Ip Man WC under Moy Yat and Lee Moy Shan of NYC for many years. I use both systems,so what I do is a bit of both which is my own interpretation.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi PiedmontChun.. Yes,your right the Fak Sao movements are broken into two distinct ideas. First the short range the elbow then the long range the side palm strike. The idea is like in Bil Jee the elbow (the short then the finger strike the long range) SNT contains the seeds of chum kiu and Bil Gee so whatever you do in any form the root is in the SNT. SNT has elbow strikes this is just one of them,and the application are to many.Maybe I should do a video on it..

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------
I don't do fut sao wing chun. Understandably there are differences. Among them a serious one is putting both gum saos down at the same time.

why is performing the side gum sao at the same time a problem? I see no problem.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can think at least 2 usages. First motion - an "elbow" strike, not necessary the elbow itself, but with the upper arm. Second motion - follow through (after re-facing) with the Fak as you opponent react to the first strike

Yes that is one, but remember the form is only a blue print you don't fight in the form. It is only a bunch of Ideas strung together.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------
Has to do with leaking energy upward. You wont see Ip Man pics doing that.

Usually you'll find that the reasons for differences in martial arts styles is because they have different things they're trying to accomplish, so "leaking energy upward" is probably beside the point here.

Plus, I don't think "Yip Man never did that" is a valid way to justify why another style is wrong. You don't see Yip Man doing SLT like Sum Nung, yet I'm pretty sure Sum Nung could still kick some ***:

[yt]

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi PiedmontChun.. Yes,your right the Fak Sao movements are broken into two distinct ideas. First the short range the elbow then the long range the side palm strike. The idea is like in Bil Jee the elbow (the short then the finger strike the long range) SNT contains the seeds of chum kiu and Bil Gee so whatever you do in any form the root is in the SNT. SNT has elbow strikes this is just one of them,and the application are to many.Maybe I should do a video on it..

Please do a vid on that :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just want to say I enjoyed the first video immensely. thank you for posting it

Latest Discussions