Siu Nim Tau-Demo

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------
Has to do with leaking energy upward. You wont see Ip Man pics doing that.

Can you see my energy leaking upwards on the video? or do you mean in theory?and if so can you explain it as I'm not aware of any theory. What about the back and front Gum Saos? There are done at the same time also. Wouldn't there be an energy leakage also?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you see my energy leaking upwards on the video? or do you mean in theory?and if so can you explain it as I'm not aware of any theory. What about the back and front Gum Saos? There are done at the same time also. Wouldn't there be an energy leakage also?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
_----I don't want a prolonged discussion that can be mis-interpreted.Wing chun imo is very conceptual as well as practical. Many folks do not have sufficient grounding in the concepts. BTW Moy Yat's slt does not have two handed gum saos straight down on the side.

When the ygkym is centered, sunk and the horse is settled- the proper yin yang balances keep the proper structure in place without muscle force. If both hands go down at the same time- action/reaction dynamics mean that
the structure will go up. Doing one hand at a time minimizes that possibility.
The hand going down is balanced by the slight elbow motion in the other hand.
The forward and backward gum saos have their horizontal level balancing
not disturbing the vertical balance .

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------
_----I don't want a prolonged discussion that can be mis-interpreted.Wing chun imo is very conceptual as well as practical. Many folks do not have sufficient grounding in the concepts. BTW Moy Yat's slt does not have two handed gum saos straight down on the side.

When the ygkym is centered, sunk and the horse is settled- the proper yin yang balances keep the proper structure in place without muscle force. If both hands go down at the same time- action/reaction dynamics mean that
the structure will go up. Doing one hand at a time minimizes that possibility.
The hand going down is balanced by the slight elbow motion in the other hand.
The forward and backward gum saos have their horizontal level balancing
not disturbing the vertical balance .

Yes,I know Moy Yat's SNT does not have have the two handed Gum Sao's. I'm doing the Fut Sao SLT version. I understand about the what your say. I believe your talking about Newton's 3rd law.In Fut sao there is no reaction to the gum saos because the energy is disperse not into the structure but into the ground this is done by not hold the structure but letting it go.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes,I know Moy Yat's SNT does not have have the two handed Gum Sao's. I'm doing the Fut Sao SLT version. I understand about the what your say. I believe your talking about Newton's 3rd law.In Fut sao there is no reaction to the gum saos because the energy is disperse not into the structure but into the ground this is done by not hold the structure but letting it go.
Have a partner stand on each side with an arm palm up under your hand. Perform your double gum sao's. What happens to your body? Now perform it one hand only. What happens to your body? What are the differences?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have a partner stand on each side with an arm palm up under your hand. Perform your double gum sao's. What happens to your body? Now perform it one hand only. What happens to your body? What are the differences?
---------------------------------
A good test of whether the horizontal body line is moving up and down.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Danny I see what your saying but how you apply the gum sao in application is not the same as performing it in the Form.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how you apply the gum sao in application is not the same as performing it in the Form.
This is why you (general YOU) should train "drills" and you should not train "forms". The forms are only designed for "teaching and learning" only. It's not designed for "training". You can map "Gum Sao" application into different drills and only train those drills without training the form.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why you (general YOU) should train "drills" and you should not train "forms". The forms are only designed for "teaching and learning" only. It's not designed for "training". You can map "Gum Sao" application into different drills and only train those drills without training the form.

Wing Chun forms should be seen as a reference tool. Much like a dictionary or a catalogue. They should be practiced, but not so I can become good at the form, but so I can become good at what the form teaches

Taking Siu Nim Tao as an example, if the only time I practice the fak sau movement is within SNT, and I practice the SNT every day, then, in a years time, I have only practiced fak sau 365 times. At that rate, it would take 3 years to reach 1000 repetitions.
Better to take the fak sau out of the form. Practice it, drill on it with a partner during chi sau and lat sau. Use it against a focus pad, etc. Then place it back in the form. My fak sau is now better.
I use the analogy of having a classic car. If you take each part of the engine out, work on it until it is working at optimum efficiency then put it back in the engine, the whole engine runs better.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun forms should be seen as a reference tool. Much like a dictionary or a catalogue. They should be practiced, but not so I can become good at the form, but so I can become good at what the form teaches
Learn, practice and perform the form for practicality not for beauty. The beauty and artistic aspect of the form is in it's practicality. Form will not teach range, timing, targeting, power, speed, etc; however, having good form will allow all of these to manifest within the practitioner.

Latest Discussions