Simplifying Kicking

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the Kug Maky Ung Ryu system, I am working on simplifying our repertoire of kicks, refining the art of kicking down to those kicks which are linear in travel, and those which are circular. The main element of any kick in the system is body momentum and leverage. Height of throw and direction of origin become meaningless.

Linear kicks are all essentially stomp kicks thrown with the whole body mass moving towards the target, whether they be side or front in origin. Circular kicks are essentially all sweeps, again thrown utilizing body dynamics.

This eliminates lots of nomenclature and mind clutter, allowing for faster psychosomatic communication and execution of the technique.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the Kug Maky Ung Ryu system, I am working on simplifying our repertoire of kicks, refining the art of kicking down to those kicks which are linear in travel, and those which are circular. The main element of any kick in the system is body momentum and leverage. Height of throw and direction of origin become meaningless.

Linear kicks are all essentially stomp kicks thrown with the whole body mass moving towards the target, whether they be side or front in origin. Circular kicks are essentially all sweeps, again thrown utilizing body dynamics.

This eliminates lots of nomenclature and mind clutter, allowing for faster psychosomatic communication and execution of the technique.
Do you feel this information is helpful to the rest of us that come here? And if so, why or how can it benefit us?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

How about effective combos including upperbody strikes or creating openings? How do you keep your upperbody when kicking and what various strategies targeting and speeds do you make use of? Do you use your feet/legs for defense as well?
Sorry to get annoying with the questions, but how about a kick like the axe kick?-i think the the force of an axe kick is generally directed downwards or diagonally forwards although it can also slap or strafe with some effect.

j

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm with Tsuki-Yomi here... it has already been established that you have no actual experience in anything even closely relating to Ninjutsu; why are you posting in a ninjutsu-specific forum? If you want to discuss your approach to your personal system, go for a general thread, you will probably find more encouraging responces there. Oh, and while you're at it, please change the name of your system from "ninjitsu", you're just embarassing yourself with those here who train in the genuine thing.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

IIRC, tracy's kenpo does the same thing at the upper ranks, though they still use other names for various kicks at the lower ranks.

jf

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score

On the face of it, you're right...kicks are either straight or circular in nature.

However, that is still a huge simplification. A stomp has a different mechanic and tactical purpose than a front thrust kick or a side kick. A roundhouse kick to the leg has a different mechanic, tactical use and training methodology than a reaping sweep.

There has to be some level of differentiation with the ultimate goal of being able to flow from move to move and throw kicks and other techniques at any angle from any position.

Finally...what is "psychosomatc communication"? Is that like when I think I'm communicating but really not?

Peace,
Erik

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Now what kind of kicking do you intend on using? As the Piano Guy ahead of me stated there are different mechanics for each style of kicking. If you want to simplify your kicks, think about where you want your targets to be. That should help significantly in narrowing down the kicks used.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IIRC, tracy's kenpo does the same thing at the upper ranks, though they still use other names for various kicks at the lower ranks.

jf

I've never heard of this.

I'm not a "high ranking" Tracy guy, but I've been involved in Tracys for about 25 years and am studying under one of the Tracy senior instructors. I've never heard mention of this.

I'd be curious to know where you got this information...

thanks.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about effective combos including upperbody strikes or creating openings? How do you keep your upperbody when kicking and what various strategies targeting and speeds do you make use of? Do you use your feet/legs for defense as well?
Sorry to get annoying with the questions, but how about a kick like the axe kick?-i think the the force of an axe kick is generally directed downwards or diagonally forwards although it can also slap or strafe with some effect.

j
Personally, I do not include the axe kick in my arsenal. This kick is considered low percentage and often results in an imbalancing of the thrower. Keeping balance at all times is paramount in my taijutsu. Combos lend themselves by understanding the potential energy in the torso of the body and utilizing it. Left stomp kicks impart a natural torsional energy potential into the torso for a right upper extremity attack. It is crucial to be able to retain center while learning to feel this rotational potential.

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You make a lot of sense.

I've found that all kicks are things done with your legs, whether they are circular or linear in origin. I suggest we refer to all such techniques only as "kicks".

This eliminates even more nomenclature and mind clutter, allowing for even faster psychosomatic communication and execution of technique.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A circular kick can be done as a stomp. A circular kick can be used as a feint, as a counter, as a push to create space and distancing among other things.

and a Linear kick can be a sweep. It can be used as a throw or take down as seen in Judo Ashi waza(leg throws)

Why narrow the kicks into such limited catagories?

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why narrow the kicks into such limited catagories?[/quote]

This is due to the fact that I believe in having a few tools that I have mastered in my tool box, rather than many tools which I have not mastered. Tools which I don't have to think about, tools which have become ingrained instinct. Thousands of repetitions of a basic technique is superior to hundreds of repetitions of complex technique.

Everyone has been in a class where a new technique is introduced, you then partner up, practice it, for what 20-30 minutes and move on. When do you randori with it? When do you own it?

I myself would rather own two kicks , rather than lease or borrow a hundred.

As a side not I agree about making space with kicks, partly I see kicks as merely a way of controlling the range of a fight. You see this more and more in MMA as fighters revisit the good old fashioned front kick, versus only using Muay Thai roundhouse. Blunting a forward movement by your opponent by shoving your foot into his gut is a very effective check/stop and doesn't really even require lots of impact force. Just don't leave it out to get caught.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why narrow the kicks into such limited catagories?

This is due to the fact that I believe in having a few tools that I have mastered in my tool box, rather than many tools which I have not mastered. Tools which I don't have to think about, tools which have become ingrained instinct. Thousands of repetitions of a basic technique is superior to hundreds of repetitions of complex technique.

Everyone has been in a class where a new technique is introduced, you then partner up, practice it, for what 20-30 minutes and move on. When do you randori with it? When do you own it?

As a side not I agree about making space with kicks, partly I see kicks as merely a way of controlling the range of a fight. You see this more and more in MMA as fighters revisit the good old fashioned front kick, versus only using Muay Thai roundhouse. Blunting a forward movement by your opponent by shoving your foot into his gut is a very effective check/stop and doesn't really even require lots of impact force. Just don't leave it out to get caught.[/quote]

You are comparing apples and oranges for your argument. You want two kicks you can rely on, good go for it. But, what about when you have another tool in your toolbox that you can add that addresses a situation that the other two don't account for? The different terms are because kicks provide different functions, we aren't talking about a low, middle high front kick that is the same kick just different targets. You are talking about snapping vs. thrusting; linear vs. circular and others.

You also talk about "psychosomatic communication" which is a term you have obviously created. Psychosomatic is a term used in psychiatry to talk about physical symptoms that replicate a disease or imbalance in the body that does not have an outside organic source. For example, if someone always says that situation X "makes them sick to their stomach" and then the stress of X happens and they vomit, it is a symptom brought on by their mind, not a virus etc.
I think what you are getting at is more in lines with a misapplication of "Hick's Law" and has more to do with mylination or "muscle memory".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side not I agree about making space with kicks, partly I see kicks as merely a way of controlling the range of a fight. You see this more and more in MMA as fighters revisit the good old fashioned front kick, versus only using Muay Thai roundhouse. Blunting a forward movement by your opponent by shoving your foot into his gut is a very effective check/stop and doesn't really even require lots of impact force. Just don't leave it out to get caught.

The front kick used in MMA is a "teep" or front thrust kick also taken from Muay Thai. It is not the same type of front kick used in Japanese/Okinawan/Korean based karate styles.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I take psychosomatic to be "MindBody". You are correct in your use of the term as it relates to symptomology, however I was talking about mind-body communication, which is slightly different from muscle memory. The process of recognizing a need to kick a target, choosing the weapon i.e. right or left leg, angle of attack , intensity etc. then executing it with chosen weapon and supporting body systems is the process of psychosomatic communication. Richard Strozzi Heckler explores some of this in "Holding the Center", a great book on his work in psychology utilizing the body.

Assuming I made up a term without understanding it is insultive, kind of as if you had called me a pneumocephalic.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score

And you think practicing the Judo Ashi waza is not able to become ingrained as well?

What about the person who practices your two kicks the ashi waza,and the ability to blend and use the feet in a versatile manner?

Um Randori is till there thats where you learn that learning two kicks is not enough against the guy who can use his feet versatile.

You own it when you can use your body,mind correctly to pull it off in a fighting or sparing condition.

To each their own however the Ninjutsu schools of old did use the feet for all sorts of things and was not limited to just kicking such as pinning,throwing and so on.

They can control the range same as a punch can. They can be a feint to off set the beat of the fighter,They can be used for many things think outside the box feet and legs are like arms and hands they are strong and can be utlitized for many things.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of this.

I'm not a "high ranking" Tracy guy, but I've been involved in Tracys for about 25 years and am studying under one of the Tracy senior instructors. I've never heard mention of this.

I'd be curious to know where you got this information...

thanks.

i took tracy's for about a month & the instructor told me this. it was a looooooong time ago, & i may not remember correctly, or may have misunderstood.

jf

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i took tracy's for about a month & the instructor told me this. it was a looooooong time ago, & i may not remember correctly, or may have misunderstood.

jf

right on.

well, all I can say is I've never heard this expressed in my experience. Thanks.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Emilio, you may have noticed that each of your threads have moved out of the Ninjutsu forums, into the General pages (thank you to the Mods for that). Might I suggest you take this as a friendly hint as to where your stuff belongs in future?

And, for what it's worth, I've looked over your videos, you certainly are in top condition, but I have to ask "Why?" And I am not really convinced by your answer about physicallity defeating technique/experience. Look around at authentic Ninjutsu practitioners, other Martil Artists, even modern military (soldiers etc), and you willl find that almost none look like body builders or professional wrestlers, mainly because it is not the be-all end-all. In fact, I would ask you what exactly you're scared of, that you need that amount of physical presence to feel safe and powerful (let's remember that the most popular form of self defence these days is body building at the gym, with the idea of "I'm big and scary, please don't attack me")?

All in all, your videos are very impressive, and if I wanted to get into body sculpting, I would probably look to you as a good reference, but you have yet to impress most, if any, of us with anything that would justify formulating your own system, let alone a New and Improved system we should all want to know about. The best advice you have been given is to visit a real school, get more experience and a better understanding, and who knows, maybe you will one day be one of the true greats! I truly hope you will.

I do have to address one last thing, though:
emiliozapata said:
Assuming I made up a term without understanding it is insultive, kind of as if you had called me a pneumocephalic.

Can you possibly think of any reason we would jump to that assumption? (And for what it's worth, I've never come across your usage of psychosomatic either... doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I've never seen it. I've always seen psychosomatic as being the mind influence on the body, not necessarily communication as a two way street.)

Finally, I realise that this post actually goes across a number of threads, rather than addressing this one specifically, and for that I apologise. However, I feel you willl benefit from hearing it all one more time. Remember, little kids playing Cowboys and Indians really have no understanding about the realities of the Old Western Frontier of the USA, so you wouldn't ask them to teach you about it, would you?

Latest Discussions