Simplifying Kicking

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I take psychosomatic to be "MindBody". You are correct in your use of the term as it relates to symptomology, however I was talking about mind-body communication, which is slightly different from muscle memory. The process of recognizing a need to kick a target, choosing the weapon i.e. right or left leg, angle of attack , intensity etc. then executing it with chosen weapon and supporting body systems is the process of psychosomatic communication. Richard Strozzi Heckler explores some of this in "Holding the Center", a great book on his work in psychology utilizing the body.

Assuming I made up a term without understanding it is insultive, kind of as if you had called me a pneumocephalic.

There is no scientific term of "psychosomatic communication" as it relates to what you are trying to say it means. What you are defining it as, is again the process of mylineation. You see a stimuli and through repeated repititions the process becomes ingrained and you respond without conscious thought or extra effort.

"Psychosomatic Communication" is a buzzword used in alternative health and hypnosis that again is describing a different process than the one you have assigned to it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why narrow the kicks into such limited catagories?

This is due to the fact that I believe in having a few tools that I have mastered in my tool box, rather than many tools which I have not mastered. Tools which I don't have to think about, tools which have become ingrained instinct. Thousands of repetitions of a basic technique is superior to hundreds of repetitions of complex technique.

Everyone has been in a class where a new technique is introduced, you then partner up, practice it, for what 20-30 minutes and move on. When do you randori with it? When do you own it?

I myself would rather own two kicks , rather than lease or borrow a hundred.

As a side not I agree about making space with kicks, partly I see kicks as merely a way of controlling the range of a fight. You see this more and more in MMA as fighters revisit the good old fashioned front kick, versus only using Muay Thai roundhouse. Blunting a forward movement by your opponent by shoving your foot into his gut is a very effective check/stop and doesn't really even require lots of impact force. Just don't leave it out to get caught.
Just two kicks? Psychosomatic kicks? Tell me ... on your stomp kick, what is the position of your support leg and your foot in relation to the opponent, what kind of torque are you using on your hips and how does it differ for low targets as opposed to mid-level and high targets?

I take psychosomatic to be "MindBody". You are correct in your use of the term as it relates to symptomology, however I was talking about mind-body communication, which is slightly different from muscle memory. The process of recognizing a need to kick a target, choosing the weapon i.e. right or left leg, angle of attack , intensity etc. then executing it with chosen weapon and supporting body systems is the process of psychosomatic communication. Richard Strozzi Heckler explores some of this in "Holding the Center", a great book on his work in psychology utilizing the body.

Assuming I made up a term without understanding it is insultive, kind of as if you had called me a pneumocephalic.

:lfao: Stop, please.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've started calling everything in my toolbox "hammer", that way I only need to know how to use one thing.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no scientific term of "psychosomatic communication" as it relates to what you are trying to say it means. What you are defining it as, is again the process of mylineation. You see a stimuli and through repeated repititions the process becomes ingrained and you respond without conscious thought or extra effort.

"Psychosomatic Communication" is a buzzword used in alternative health and hypnosis that again is describing a different process than the one you have assigned to it.

You might want to re-check the meaning of mylineation. It is a process of development occuring in the maturing nervous cells, broken or disrupted in various neurological disease states. Medical terminology wise pyschosomatic means nothing more than mindbody. My use of it is indeed correct, as it relates to my subject. What you are describing is more related to a conditioned response process. Thank You, EZ

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weeeellll...if you want to nitpick...while your use of psychosomatic is correct....it is also deceptive as that is not how MOST psychologists use the term.

Hell, your insisence on the Mind-body term is pretty outdated now. There is no Mind-Body. The mind is not a seperate thing...mind over matter, mind-bodt all of that is throwback to Cartesian Dualism. You just have a body, what we refer to as the mind is an outgrowth of the complexity of the interconnected and nested systems of that body and grows out of that but is not seperate from it.

What thi shas to do with MA? Very little. In the end, it would be better, in my opinion to use slearer terms and not try to beef up your explanations with "big words" to make it sound like it is more than it really is. In fact, what you propose is not really new stuff. I cna think of a number of gentleman (Ian Abenrathy springs to mind) that also propose a simplified toolbox and simpler nomenclature for SD systems.

Peace,
Erik

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to re-check the meaning of mylineation. It is a process of development occuring in the maturing nervous cells, broken or disrupted in various neurological disease states. Medical terminology wise pyschosomatic means nothing more than mindbody. My use of it is indeed correct, as it relates to my subject. What you are describing is more related to a conditioned response process. Thank You, EZ

Bruce Siddle one of the pioneers on combat training and how it pertains to stress. States:
Keeping in mind that memory is based on recognition, or recall, it appears that the basis of memory encompasses two issues. The first pertains to a substance called Myelin. Myelin is a fatty protein that the brain releases to coat the connection between two dendrites as new information is made. This happens the first time a connection is made, and thereafter, anytime there is a proper stimulus from the environment to activate that connection again. At the time of the connection, it takes a lot of energy to "get" it. After that it gets easier and easier as the myelin forms a thicker coat. Eventually, with enough repitiion, the connection becomes sufficiently 'myleinated' and able to operate without effort (Deprter & Hernacki, 1992). The second basis of memory is the number of associations that stimulate the program. Obviously, the more associations that encompass several perceptual senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch) the more the strength of the program will be enhanced. (Taken from Spontaneous Knife Defense Instructor Manual pg 6-7 copywright 1989).

That is a pretty clear cut scientific definition of what I am talking about and how it is related to combat. You need both the myleination and the stimulus/response to successfully utilize one of your kicks. Now if you want to touch upon the use of alpha brain wave training and how it can shortcut the learning process and speed things up and refer to that as a mind/body connection than it would be more appropriate.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think Emilio's a bit on the small side but then maybe that's just looking at it from a heavyweight perspective.

Top marks for putting effort in and you're welcome to come train with me if you want to lift some real weight. But as everyone else has said, if you are looking at creating a style, a complete style of self defense or martial art, then technique goes a long way and is almost everything - particularly if you expect or wish others (of varying size) to follow this style of yours.

You're right that just pure fitness and strength and physical prowess will hold you in good stead, I have won several fights when I was younger and less experienced, against "better" fighters because of my better endurance and strength. But, that only gets you so far for so long. Without skill in fighting applications (Kicking, punching, submissions) and experience in combat, physicallity itself is not what will keep you alive on the street or winning tournaments.

Show us some decent moves or techniques, show us what you can do rather than "still shot" poses and you may get more time and the respect you may deserve.

Latest Discussions