Simplicity or Complexity in the MA?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it comes to an issue like this I always go back to another thing I do that contrasts quite well. Playing guitar. Steve Vai once said, it's best to have the knowledge, and can use it as needed rather than simply not having it. Keeping it simple in music and in martial arts is great, but there's gonna be a time when you have to stretch beyond the most basic of power chords/punches and kicks and go further to win.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is exactly the question. I think most experienced martial artists agree that simple, efficient and highly refined techniques delivered with speed, power, and timing are what get the job done. So how do you train to get to that point? Do you work through more complicated sequences and then whittle it down to that final "sharp" efficiency? Or do you train with using a very spare or minimalist approach all along?

I suspect what really matters is keeping your eventual goal in mind. Then these become two different paths to the same place. In that case, you have to follow the path that suits you. The trick is not to get sidetracked and lost along the way.

How do we get to that point? I'd imagine practice over and over and over and....

IMO, I'm a believer in having some sort of base/foundation to build from. We learn stances, footwork and kicks and blocks from a static postion first. We then gradually start adding in movement, usually in the form of a self defense technique. From that point, what I would consider to be freestyle, would be next. Freestyle meaning, not doing a preset tech., but instead putting together a series of movements in the proper fashion, to defend yourself.

So, where we'd have a complex series of movements in the SD tech., fact remains, that we'll probably never use more than a few moves, simple moves, from each tech. So, eventually, we really dont need anything too complex, just the simple things. Not to say that the complex things can't be used, but.....

So, yes, you're right....keep your goal in mind, and use the best path to get there. :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I constantly remind the people who train with me that you fight how you train and that in a self defense situation you wil revert back to the lowest common denominator of your training.
That's why to me the whole idea of "secet techniques" are kind of silly.
Unless they have been practiced thousands of times under stressful situations, then what good could they possibly do when you are under stress for real?

The techniques that will save your butt are the ones you can do in your sleep.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The techniques that will save your butt are the ones you can do in your sleep.

I hope you don't mean that literally. Otherwise, I feel sorry for your wife or girlfriend!

Hey wait a minute... why didn't LT use that as a defense? "I didn't mean to beat her up, but I just nodded off for a moment and..."

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope you don't mean that literally. Otherwise, I feel sorry for your wife or girlfriend!

Hey wait a minute... why didn't LT use that as a defense? "I didn't mean to beat her up, but I just nodded off for a moment and..."

Actually, my wife has taken a few shots through the years while I've been asleep.
Nothing life threatening (other than her saying she's going to kill me if I do that again)....but it does make for interesting party conversation.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, my wife has taken a few shots through the years while I've been asleep.
Nothing life threatening (other than her saying she's going to kill me if I do that again)....but it does make for interesting party conversation.

My wife has also taken a few shots in our sleep.. . HAHA! However, the best, in her opinion, was when she busted my nose in our sleep. She's not even a martial artist! NOW THAT MAKES FOR EMBARISING CONVERSATION!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife has also taken a few shots in our sleep.. . HAHA! However, the best, in her opinion, was when she busted my nose in our sleep. She's not even a martial artist! NOW THAT MAKES FOR EMBARISING CONVERSATION!

My wife's popped me a time or two in her sleep as well.....accident? I'm not so sure.

My all time favorite incident was when we had been married only a short time....I remember having this dream where someone was coming up and grabbing me from behind....she said that I turned over in my sleep and hit her with a quick left right backfist /punch ,I then grabbed her pillow out from under her head and threw it across the room as I turned back over to my other side, as if I was throwing someone over my shoulder.

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Musashi was probably the most successful sword master in Japanese history...and he only taught five stances, high medium, low, and two side postures.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Musashi was probably the most successful sword master in Japanese history...and he only taught five stances, high medium, low, and two side postures.

Which is precisely why I brought him up. He taught comparatively few things, however, he demanded perfection out of each and every movement.

IMHO, If you master 5 combative movements you will be a far more formidable opponent then the one who has 50 but hasn't mastered any.

Latest Discussions