Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anderson Silva is moving up to 205 to fight James Irvin. July 19th

Predictions?

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Irvin but going up a weight division will be a good test for Silva. I know a very dominant Aussie kickboxer named Gurkan Ozkan went from super middle weight to heavy weight so he could fight in K1. He stacked on muscle and was around 95kg but didn't have the natural strength and presence of those naturally around that weight and didn't even really figure in the local K1 qualifiers. I'm unsure of Silva's weight in between fights so I don't know how much he will have to put on. Should be a good fight though

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Silva runs usually 25 lbs over his last fighting weight in the previous division. So his weight should not be much of a factor.

Silva wins this hands down.
icon6.gif

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't care, I'll be watching the Fedor-Sylvia fight. UFC just put up this event at the last minute to try to detract from the Affliction Banned event...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't care, I'll be watching the Fedor-Sylvia fight. UFC just put up this event at the last minute to try to detract from the Affliction Banned event...

Affliction Banned event?

Fedor signed with the UFC!!!???

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No Fedor is fighting Tim Sylvia at Affliction definately not UFC if he was in the UFC Couture wouldnt be trying so hard to get out of his contract

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Affliction is a completely different organization from UFC, it's kinda new, and the UFC is scared poopless about it because...well among other reasons, because they got Fedor, and the UFC wants him. In fact they are so scared that they scheduled a FREE event with their big star fighter at the same time as the Affliction event, to try to detract from it's viewer base.

Personally I think it's great for the sport to have more than just one viable organization involved...

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Affliction is a completely different organization from UFC, it's kinda new, and the UFC is scared poopless about it because...well among other reasons, because they got Fedor, and the UFC wants him. In fact they are so scared that they scheduled a FREE event with their big star fighter at the same time as the Affliction event, to try to detract from it's viewer base.

Personally I think it's great for the sport to have more than just one viable organization involved...

I wouldnt call it scared but rather smart marketing. The UFC really doesnt have to be scared of any other promotion out there. So what if Affliction has Fedor?! Not like many outside of the MMA world even know who he is. Plus casual fans wont even know the other fighters on the card.

Dana wanted Fedor but couldnt get the deal done so kept moving forward without him.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well in regards to the UFC having a free fight it is brilliant. I will watch the free fight Saturday night and then the Fedor fight via the internet for free Sunday morning. Gotta love the internet!
icon6.gif

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Silva will take this fight easily be it on the feet or on the ground. I've seen Irvin several times and was not impressed, especially in his striking.
Brian, where can I catch the fights on the net? Do you mean on youtube?

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I knew this fight wouldnt be much though I would like to see Anderson compete in this weight class it needs to be against the better fighters of the class

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was one powerful punch he landed. The fast follow up sure ended the fight in a hurry

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very fast fight, I really wish we could get some kind of fight that last more then a few minutes. Man it was disappointing.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very fast fight, I really wish we could get some kind of fight that last more then a few minutes. Man it was disappointing.

Not only disappointing, but simply a joke. As far as finding better fighters for Silva in this weight class, I believe this was by design. Many have stepped up weight classes only to find they weren't what thought with the heavier fighters, they were testing the waters. I think he'll go back and forth, possible trying to hold both belts at once. Look out Forrest.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forrest would be one hell of a wake up call for him. I'd like to see it. As for Irvin, well, I wasn't at all impressed. Hell, I blinked and it was over. :(

Latest Discussions