Silk Reeling

2good2b4gotten

White Belt
Reaction score
Silk reeling (纏絲, chánsī) is specific feature of Taijiquan (especially Chen style).

In the following video there is explanation of the term by Master Chen Zhonghua.

What do you think about this explanation?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train CMA and this is the first time I've heard it explained like this. It reminds me of the concept that an opening exists in a person's guard. The space that is between the elbows never really goes away. The punches or strikes towards that center are less likely to be deflected. The strikes take the same path that was explained in the video. That space in between the elbows forms I guess what he referred to as the eye of a needle. Anything outside of that space has a greater risk of being jammed against the opponent's body as they make an effort to avoid the strike.
Screen-Shot-2013-08-18-at-2.52.28-PM-265x300.png

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not agree or disagree with Chen zhonghua, I think what he is explaining is in context to that lesson or question, same as when my teacher was speaking on silk reeling and backing in and pivot, and another teacher refer to as a figure eight.

There is definitely a spiraling motion and my opinion looking to Chen xin work on silk reeling is highly recommended or Chen xiaowang explaining it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Silk reeling (纏絲, chánsī) is specific feature of Taijiquan (especially Chen style).
In the Baji system, there are 3 different power generation methods.

1. Sinking power.
2. Expanding power.
3. Silk reeling power.

Starting from 42.16 in the following clip, Baji master Adam Hsu's explanation of "silk reeling" is more general as "body twisting power".

Your power generate from the

- ground and up,
- back and front.

You will need body twisting movement to send your power to your fist.

By using Adam's definition, all MA styles use "silk reeling". "Internal" guys may not like this definition. It won't make "internal" guys to feel "superior - my style has it but your style doesn't".

twist_punch_3.jpg

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is definitely a spiraling motion and my opinion looking to Chen xin work on silk reeling is highly recommended or Chen xiaowang explaining it.

Chen Xin and Chen Xiaowang come from the Chen village style. Chen Zhonghua is from Hong Junsheng's 'Practical' Chen style. The approaches differ.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chen Xin and Chen Xiaowang come from the Chen village style. Chen Zhonghua is from Hong Junsheng's 'Practical' Chen style. The approaches differ.
Hi Brendan not sure why you quoted me after a thread almost 2 months to add that tidbit.

If the OP enjoys Chen zhonghua approach it really doesn't matter however I personally prefer Chen xiaowang who is my teacher's teacher.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Encho - sorry for the necro; i didn't notice the age of the thread. Though tbh two months is hardly excessive.

I thought the reasoning was self explanatory. The explanation given by Chen Xiaowang will contradict that of Chen Zhonghua, as their approaches differ completely.

I was just noting that anyone interested in Hong Junsheng's take on silk reeling would NOT be well advised to look to the village teachers. Sorry if that bothered you.

Latest Discussions