Chén shì tàijí quán

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
陳式 太極拳 (Chén shì tàijí quán) aka Chen Style (or family) Taijiquan

After 30 years of Traditional Yang Style Taijiquan, I am officially retired from Yang style, I just can't get myself to do it anymore. I have toyed with Sun 73 form and was working with the Beijing 24 form again. But I can't even get myself to do the 24 form these days and I have had it with the Sun 73. There is a Sun short form I know and I still do, but that is all for Sun at the moment.

But I did decide to start Chen again, it was actually my first choice as far as taijiquan goes when I started looking for a teacher 30 years ago, but there was no internet to help me, at least I did not have access to it, and there were no teachers close. So long story short, I ended up traditional Yang. It was good training, my teacher was, and is, rather skilled, but I just do not want to do it anymore it just is not me. Of course I figured this out now that I have fake joints and arthritis in many of the rest :)

I leaned Silk Reeling, Chen 18, Laojia Yilu and puh hands before and I am going to get back to Laojia yilu, but at the moment I am working on the Chen 19 and I truly enjoy training again. Note my 18 form and silk reeling all come from Chen Zhenglei, either directly or from a student of his. But my laojia Yilu and Chen push hands come from my first Shifu. The 19 form I am currently working on comes from Chen Xiaowang, via one of is students.

After the 19 I will likely contact a Chen guy who lives a bit north of me, and is in the Chen Zhenglei lineage, and see if I can work on Laojia Yilu with him. I have done puh hands with him, pre pandemic, and he is very good. I had a few sessions of looking up at him from the floor actually :) I got knocked down.

Been training about 45 minutes to an hour every night, and I only have the first few postures. of the 19 that I repeat and I'm only working on some of the silk reeling at the moment

The forms I mentioned above

Chen 19 (Chen Xiaowang)

Chen 18 (Chen Zhenglei)

Laojia Yilu (Chen Zhenglei)

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m originally came from Chen Zhenglei lineage, I also studied with Zhu Tiancai, Chen Xiaowang, Chen Bing and Chen Ziqian (with last two I sparred ) After about 7-10 years of that I have switched to Chen Yu line and have never looked back . There not many good Chen teachers out there but I got lucky to meet Borys Chen . After our first meeting I was very impressed with his practical skills (and have seen and experienced a lot before that )

Our group is small but very robust. We have been practicing through pandemic. And now we are practicing through the war . I believe our version of Chen actually tested under stress :)

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Beautiful forms. Thanks.
And out of four “ jingans “ of Chen taiji supposedly only Wan Xian was a bad ***. And his form doesn’t look that beautiful- go figure lol

Chen Zhenglei once shocked me by saying “may be in ancient times taijiquan was used in combat “ I respect his honesty and I do appreciate health aspect that comes with taiji. Yet words “may be” carries some heavy meaning of doubt.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
may be in ancient times taijiquan was used in combat ...
Yang Taiji has most of the striking tools that can be used in combat. It's a personal issue. It's not a style issue.

- Front toes kick - left/right separate leg.
- Front heel kick - turn around kick with heel.
- Outside crescent kick - lotus kick.
- Reverse side kick - cross legs.
- Jab - single whip.
- Cross - fair lady works on shuttle.
- Hook punch - striking tiger, twin peaks to the ear.
- Uppercut - snake extend tone.
- Back fist - fetching arms.
- Hammer fist - turn around hammer.

Last edited:

Teapot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And out of four “ jingans “ of Chen taiji supposedly only Wan Xian was a bad ***. And his form doesn’t look that beautiful- go figure lol

Chen Zhenglei once shocked me by saying “may be in ancient times taijiquan was used in combat “ I respect his honesty and I do appreciate health aspect that comes with taiji. Yet words “may be” carries some heavy meaning of doubt.

From what I've heard, Wang Xi'an is the only one among those four who quietly became Feng Zhiqiang's disciple.

Latest Discussions