Signature characteristics of your style

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Below is a Signature Characteristic of our White Crane Fist Gongfu. What are the characteristics of your style?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Front view of the Shiho Tien **** (Feeding Crane Open's it's Wings). The body position (Tiwei) is held supple and relaxed and is likened to a bow with the limbs being the arrows (Zhang). The energy is lead by the mind through what is known as Xinyi (“Intention”) and delivered via Zhiqiao (“Limb Skill”). White Crane Kung Fu is a soft style which focuses on short ranged hand techniques, with a strong emphasis on applying Dan Dou Qin (Chi tremor).[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Like an agile bird it eschews confrontations of head-on power. It utilizes folding and flapping actions for elbow and hand continually exchanging with one another. Some times the crane is frontal like a posturing bird. Sometimes it turns suddenly with a surprising wing like covering. In ancient days observers were amazed at the sight of cranes taking off into flight and cracking the branches of nearby trees with the tips of their wings. This idea of extreme acceleration is still evident in the shivering fingertips of crane practitioners when they utilize this energy.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The mind's (Yi) "intent" must also be properly focused and centred within when executing movement. One must not allow the mind to become distracted or bound by external thoughts, the mind should be focused. Qi/Chi only moves only as the mind moves. Energy is directed by your mind. The “Yi” (mind) leads the “Li: (body).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The use of the breath is also important as in Chinese martial arts Qi/Chi is breath.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]When you have the proper mindset (intent) combined with the correct body posture and breathing then you will develop correct Fajin or expression of energy.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I've only been studying my current art for about 7 weeks, but a few of the *signatures* that are evident to me already are a heavy emphasis on rooting, breathing from the dantian, and continual fast strikes.

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the internal arts;
Relaxation, effortlessness, angle, continuos movement, body moves together yet seperatly, blending, no strength, and no deep stances (well, except in a few forms)

my external gung fu love is animal boxing.
tiger boxing is perhaps my specialty among the various animals, or atleast my favorite.
explosiveness, dynamic power, mixture of straight and circular movement, muscle control, agresiveness, and intent are its trademark.

of all the arts I have stdied or been exposed to, i would have to say the true internal arts are for me, but of the other arts I still practice, tiger boxing is my favorite.

OP
shifu

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I appreciate your views and the discussion.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yiliquan is known for it's evasive maneuvers and explosive counter-techniques which aim to "take the opponent's ground."

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sig. characteristics of Hung-Ga are iron bridge & 1000lbs horse stance & Tiger Crane form.

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Aggressiveness, full body power,seize and control, forcibly press ,and strike. Attack the attack, intercept the intention of the opponent-penetrate the heart. Evasive when neccesary,cruel when needed,bridges of iron, yet sensitive and resilient. This is Hung-Ga.

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey FunnyTiger! I missed you at the WFH Tournament. I came late, sat in a few rings, then spent the rest of the time outside playing with Sifu Francisco Rivera. We got so carried away, when we got back inside, it was over! Sifu Rivera is also Hung-Ga,Tang-Fong, but of a different line, so we were "comparing notes".

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Internal/External training and techniques.

Iron Body Conditioning

Multi Directional Fighting; including all gates/angles.

Full Body Offence, destroying an opponent to the point that they will not recover.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tibetan White Crane is a long-range, hit and run style, blitz and pound and just keep coming until the enemy goes down.

OP
shifu

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for the discussions.

Flying Crane, Please tell me more about your Tibetan White Crane!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks again for the discussions.

Flying Crane, Please tell me more about your Tibetan White Crane!

Check out this thread, I added the last post, as Tibetan White Crane is a sister art of Hop Gar:

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9057&highlight=hop+gar

Stylistically, it has some similarities to Choy Lay Fut. When practicing in the park, I have had other martial artists ask if I was doing CLF. Tibetan White Crane is just a bit unknown yet in the west.

OP
shifu

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane (Michael),

Thanks for your post. Great to hear from a fellow Crane stylist even though there are differences between our arts!

empty cup

White Belt
Reaction score
Some general characteristics of Ba Gua are constant movement, the idea that the "ideal" attack is to the opponent's weak side. You don't want to attack the opponent head on if at all possible. Ideally the Ba Gau master starts out fighting his openent head on and then is all of a sudden attacking the opponent from the side and even the rear. Foot work is meant to be evasive. I guess one way to think of power generation is in terms of coiling and un coiling of the body. As far as form practice there are forms that are practiced walking the circle and there are linear forms as well. This is an internal art so power is meant to be generated from a relaxed place. Breathing from Dan Tien is just as important as in any other internal art.

Latest Discussions