Sign saying "UNITED STATES" at U.S. Border Crossing deemed security risk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/arts/design/27border.html

To me this is ridiculous! Why should we be ashamed of our country's name at our own border crossing in Massena, NY?

Four years ago, when the federal General Services Administration unveiled its plans for a new border-crossing station here in northeastern New York State, the design was presented as part of the agency’s campaign to raise the dismal standards of government architecture. Even many in the famously fractious architectural community celebrated the complex — particularly its main building, emblazoned with glossy yellow, 21-foot-high letters spelling “United States” — as a rare project the government could point to with pride.

The Customs and Border Protection agency of the Department of Homeland Security seemed to like it too. After years of working closely with the architects, the New York firm of Smith-Miller & Hawkinson, the agency signed off on the final version of the project in 2007.
Yet three weeks ago, less than a month after the station opened, workers began prying the big yellow letters off the building’s facade on orders from Customs and Border Protection. The plan is to dismantle the rest of the sign this week.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
???
That's just plain dumb.

I've never heard of a border station being attacked, not that it couldn't happen, but it's just a sign!

If I'm in Canada and I wanted to hit the US, I'd lob a couple of mortar rounds into Buffalo or Detroit. Before they land I'm already driving away, and good luck finding me.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
ROFL

I can't help but laugh at this, as sad as it is...

They should replace it with a sign that says, "This Ain't the US...Really... Shoot Your Missiles The Other Way."

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to think that if this were October of 2001, everyone would be chanting "taking down the sign means the terrorists have won". And they'd have been right. Seriously, this is Canada facing! What's going to happen, is someone going to throw maple syrup laced hockey pucks at us? Have the people making these decisions ever even been to Canada? Its a cool place; good beer, good food, nice scenery, etc. etc.

Unless of course, the point is that the Canadian border is so porous that across-the-Atlantic terrorists will come through Canada and then to the US? That's kind of insulting I would think. Or, maybe someone thinks Canadians don't know were' here? We haven't really been too quiet...I guess its a good thing stupidity doesn't actually hurt, or the screaming might keep our Canadian neighbors awake at night.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have to think that if this were October of 2001, everyone would be chanting "taking down the sign means the terrorists have won". And they'd have been right. Seriously, this is Canada facing! What's going to happen, is someone going to throw maple syrup laced hockey pucks at us? Have the people making these decisions ever even been to Canada? Its a cool place; good beer, good food, nice scenery, etc. etc.

Unless of course, the point is that the Canadian border is so porous that across-the-Atlantic terrorists will come through Canada and then to the US? That's kind of insulting I would think. Or, maybe someone thinks Canadians don't know were' here? We haven't really been too quiet...I guess its a good thing stupidity doesn't actually hurt, or the screaming might keep our Canadian neighbors awake at night.

:) LOL.
Hey will you guys keep it down??!! We're trying to sleep over here!!
Bloody Americans...Grumble, mumble....

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I'm in Canada and I'm driving south. I come to a border crossing. What the hell country do I think I'm about to enter????? :confused: Of course the US flag is not enough of a clue. :idunno:

Bureaucratic idiocy knows no bounds.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just to be devil's advocate, and having read the article, I get it.

There's a mistake in the architecture, really. That signage does give me an odd feeling of entering a country full of 'watchers'. It's really sending the wrong message.

So, they take it down. It sends the wrong message.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I'm in Canada and I'm driving south. I come to a border crossing. What the hell country do I think I'm about to enter????? :confused: Of course the US flag is not enough of a clue. :idunno:

I think they must assume that the rest of the world is just as horrible at Geography as US citizens... you know... with our great educational system and all.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
???
That's just plain dumb.

I've never heard of a border station being attacked, not that it couldn't happen, but it's just a sign!

If I'm in Canada and I wanted to hit the US, I'd lob a couple of mortar rounds into Buffalo or Detroit. Before they land I'm already driving away, and good luck finding me.

Buffalo would notice the damage.

Detroit would either think it was really cool fire works, or wonder who knocked down the falling down building.

I agree the money has already been spent and the idea that it is a security risk is just ignorant. I mean the bad guy is going to be driving along and then realize where they are and and decide to do something bad upon impulse of seeing the sign?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mexico... you're entering Mexico. We moved the border while you were asleep.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So they finally took you over did they? :lol:

Can't beat 'em, join 'em ... or so the new Komissar in Charge believes... look at what's going on with Health Care... so yeah... look for the new signs coming soon ...

Bienvenido a la República Mexicana del Norte (antes los Estados Unidos de América)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can't beat 'em, join 'em ... or so the new Komissar in Charge believes... look at what's going on with Health Care... so yeah... look for the new signs coming soon ...

Bienvenido a la República Mexicana del Norte (antes los Estados Unidos de América)

So that's why they are removing the sign. I knew there had to be a good reason.

Latest Discussions