Shoulder Health

Can

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's good stuff, but I still think working the on the rotator cuff itself is useful for martial artists. I've benefited a lot from the material in "7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution". They deal with strengthing both the rotator cuff and the surrounding muscles. The book is out of print, but can be found used.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's good stuff, but I still think working the on the rotator cuff itself is useful for martial artists. I've benefited a lot from the material in "7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution". They deal with strengthing both the rotator cuff and the surrounding muscles. The book is out of print, but can be found used.

Right now I would really like to read that book

Ironically I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder from all the snow removal (shoveling) I have been doing this past week. So I cannot do any of what the article says right now.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can, you kind of contradict yourself there. Especially true for those arts involving striking that well-balanced shoulders should be strived for. Very common are weak external rotators because of too much emphasis on forward movements (i.e. bench press, etc.) stressing the internal rotators.

Can

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can, you kind of contradict yourself there. Especially true for those arts involving striking that well-balanced shoulders should be strived for. Very common are weak external rotators because of too much emphasis on forward movements (i.e. bench press, etc.) stressing the internal rotators.

I don't see how there's a contradiction. I like the exercises that article talks about, but I think working on the rotator cuff (primarily the external as you mention) is also important.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right now I would really like to read that book

Ironically I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder from all the snow removal (shoveling) I have been doing this past week. So I cannot do any of what the article says right now.

A great source for recovery info would be "A Tooth from the Tigers Mouth" by Tom Bisio... For shoulder recovery see pages 320-331

:)

Latest Discussions