Should You Clone Your Dog?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want your love dog to live forever, will you spend $50,000 to clone your dog? Your thought?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want your love dog to live forever, will you spend $50,000 to clone your dog? Your thought?

Lol I rather clone myself and give the new me a manual for the body and mind. Layout weakness and tendencies. Girls scout cookies and brownies should never be eaten lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for my dog? It's not worth the cost. I could use 50,000 for something better. If someone wants to do a study on cloned pets and wants to pay me 50,000 then yes. Clone my pet. But not the one I have now. Lol

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I had a bunch of millions, then sure, why not? She’s been an excellent representation of the breed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not if it was $5. There are too many abandoned pets filling the shelters as it is. I love our dogs. Both rescues. I loved our previous two, which were likewise rescues. But even in a genetically-identical dog, they are not the same dog. A clone me would not be me.

I'm not sure if my wife and I will be equipped to get another pair of rescue dogs when these pass, but if we are, then that's what we will do.

This world is going sideways in a hurry. This is yet one more thing we do not need. Just my 2 cents.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember when talks of cloning was a big deal back in the mid-90's, fast forward almost 30 years later, and now it's accessible to the average Joe for the same price as a decently equipped SUV. I'm certain that it doesn't require any additional labor to clone a human being, so if price to the consumer is higher to clone a stillborn child or miscarried fetus, it will be due to artificial scarcity.

With countries around the world running scared of their economies being ruined by their citizens not having children these days, I'm sure we can expect entities other than private citizens having human beings cloned.

Scary.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember when talks of cloning was a big deal back in the mid-90's, fast forward almost 30 years later, and now it's accessible to the average Joe for the same price as a decently equipped SUV. I'm certain that it doesn't require any additional labor to clone a human being, so if price to the consumer is higher to clone a stillborn child or miscarried fetus, it will be due to artificial scarcity.

With countries around the world running scared of their economies being ruined by their citizens not having children these days, I'm sure we can expect entities other than private citizens having human beings cloned.

Scary.
A century ago, it was eugenics.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to figure out how to tell this….

The first dog my wife and I had was a ninety pound American Pit Bull Terrier, named Zambuka. Lived to be 15. Sweetest, gentlest dog anyone had ever met.

When he was eleven we realized we should have mated him because he was just too good to be true. We happened to mention that to our vet. She suggested bringing him in the next day, she would take his sperm and properly store it so we could use it when we wanted another dog and found a suitable female we wanted to mate him with.

Our vet, Peg, was the best vet we've ever known. She was one of those rare people who was never anything but happy. I swear she couldn’t go two minutes without laughing. She could also handle the meanest, nastiest dogs by just talking to them for thirty seconds and then doing whatever. She knew she wanted to be a Veterinarian from the time she was a kid and started volunteering at the local vet’s place when she was ten. She did her graduate work in Kentucky at a thoroughbred racehorse farm.

So, that’s the backstory.

So we bring in our old boy and she has the soft rubber collection device in place for collection. While she’s doing the collecting she’s telling my wife about how it was with horses at the Kentucky horse farm. How you had to wear steel toed boots and a hardhat at all times during the collection. And that you had to use two hands because they’re large animals and your feet had to do this little tap dance side to side in order to keep the proper rhythm.

She’s laughing as she’s telling my wife, and she’s doing the little dance, and she’s making what I guess were the typical horse sounds as the procedure would progress. My wife and her are laughing so hard they can hardly stand. Everyone in the waiting room could hear them. I was sitting there, jaw agape, horrified. I mean, I laugh at it now, but back then I was convinced I was in the presence of two crazy women.

Old Zambuka, he didn’t mind at all, he was digging it. Unfortunately his sperm was no longer viable. But he always had a smile on his face when we went to the vet from that day forward.

Damn, he was a good dog.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After my 3 lb Yorkie Yaya passed away. My wife cried day and night for almost 3 months. Within a week, we found another Yorkie Jaja. Since Jaja doesn't act the same way as the passed away Yaya did, my wife didn't have much feeling for her.

Since we didn't clone my Yaya, we started to look for her brothers and sisters. We found Yaya's brothers Bandit and Cowboy. Since both are boys, they don't act the same way as girls act. My wife kept looking and found one of Yaya's sisters. We named her Yaya #2. Since Yaya #2 does chase horse on the beach (Yaya #1 always chased horse on the beach), my wife found another Yaya's sister Kiki. Since Kiki acts a lot like my old Yaya, my wife finally stopped looking. We ended with 5 Yorkies. Those teacup Yorkies were not cheat. each run between $3500 to $5500.

Kiki is the little one running around with a lot of energy.

Last edited:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Honestly I don't think I ever thought about it until you posted it the other day. I personally wouldn't do it. Although they will look the same and share some traits it's not truly the same dog, the spirit of the original will not be In the clone.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think I ever thought about it until you posted it the other day. I personally wouldn't do it. Although they will look the same and share some traits it's not truly the same dog, the spirit of the original will not be In the clone.
Our experiences make us. Clones will never be the same because we can't reacreate the same experiences. Even twins have their own personality. Which is how parents can tell which are which.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! If the spirit is missing, it doesn't make any sense. If I make a clone of my wife, but my cloned wife doesn't love me, what's the purpose of it?
Life experiences draw people together. Your clone wife would like all things Tik Tok lol

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Even if you cloned your dog, it would not guarantee the same behaviours as those are learnt. I feel like cloning your dog would be a bastardization of nature. I'd also be afraid to go to the afterlife and then have 7 different dogs that look exactly the same ready to greet me. I think it's best to accept the natural course of life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even if you cloned your dog, it would not guarantee the same behaviours as those are learnt.
This is where people get confused and get it all wrong. The realities of cloning
1. Only the physical attributes are cloned
2. Cloning doesn't clone the experiences of the original
3. Cloning doesn't clone the memories of the original
4. Cloning doesn't clone the mental and emotional behavior of the original

The most that we get from cloning is an identical shell and a "clean slate" to store new experiences that will be used to shape the behavior and personality of version 2.0. At the most it's just a new pet that costs $50,000. The clone will also have many of the physical and mental limitations of the original. Born with low intelligence = clone with low intelligence. Anything DNA related good or bad will transfer. All of the things that made the original pet fun and lovable won't be. IT won't have the same personality.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you buy a puppy you never know the quirks of that particular dog. But you do know the general personality of the breed. You buy the breed for personal reasons. Maybe you just like the looks or maybe you have specific needs that are common to that breed such as hunting, tracking, etc. Dogs are not complex like people, they are simple. Like a vet said to me once “you’d be surprised how little brain cells it takes for a dog to be normal”. A cloned pup would have as much potential to be what you want as non cloned pup from the same pedigree. It amazes me when people equate dogs or other animals for that matter with people, although it does answer a lot of other questions LOL. 50k? That’s just a family trip to Europe.

speciesism is a good thing…it’s where bacon comes from 😜

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dogs are not complex like people, they are simple. Like a vet said to me once “you’d be surprised how little brain cells it takes for a dog to be normal”
I'm not so sure about that. I think dogs are complex, they just aren't as complex as humans. Human's make things more complex than they need to be and the world is full of BS and unimportant stuff created by humans.

"In one study Roberts and a colleague conducted, an owner walked her dog across a field and then fell to the ground, feigning a heart attack. Two other humans were seated nearby, pretending to be reading. The owner lay still for six minutes, and over repeated trials with different human and animal subjects, not a single dog sought help.."

My take on this simple. The dogs just understood that the human were faking it, so there was no need to go get help or show concern. If dogs are highly skilled a reading human body language then it makes more sense they just knew what was up. They probably just sat there to see how long that dumb human would stay on the ground lol.

On the most basics of animal behavior. Animals have a good feel for when another animal is really injured. It's the same thing lions do when searching for prey. They look for the young, sick, and injured because those are going to be the easy ones to get. I've seen a spider do the same behavior. So a human thinking that laying on the ground is enough to fool an animal is funny to me.

Just saying. I think dogs can tell when something is wrong and not normal. Unless it's my dog. my dog just doesn't have the band width lol. She'll probably let me die then try to eat me lol

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. I think dogs are complex, they just aren't as complex as humans. Human's make things more complex than they need to be and the world is full of BS and unimportant stuff created by humans.

"In one study Roberts and a colleague conducted, an owner walked her dog across a field and then fell to the ground, feigning a heart attack. Two other humans were seated nearby, pretending to be reading. The owner lay still for six minutes, and over repeated trials with different human and animal subjects, not a single dog sought help.."

My take on this simple. The dogs just understood that the human were faking it, so there was no need to go get help or show concern. If dogs are highly skilled a reading human body language then it makes more sense they just knew what was up. They probably just sat there to see how long that dumb human would stay on the ground lol.

On the most basics of animal behavior. Animals have a good feel for when another animal is really injured. It's the same thing lions do when searching for prey. They look for the young, sick, and injured because those are going to be the easy ones to get. I've seen a spider do the same behavior. So a human thinking that laying on the ground is enough to fool an animal is funny to me.

Just saying. I think dogs can tell when something is wrong and not normal. Unless it's my dog. my dog just doesn't have the band width lol. She'll probably let me die then try to eat me lol
Okay, they are more complex than a hamster. Please let me know when you catch your dog staring into the night sky wondering if we’re alone…

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Herding dogs have these attributes. Watching a Great Pyrenees take care of a herd of goats is a very cool thing. They almost instinctively know what to do. Humans bred them well. Good thing it wasn’t a jack russel…

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, they are more complex than a hamster. Please let me know when you catch your dog staring into the night sky wondering if we’re alone…
That doesn't make sense. You only know that a human is "wondering if we're alone" because that human has a conversation with you about what he's thinking. Why would you think you would know such a thing from an animal in which you have limited knowledge of how to communicate with.

Seriously what's the physical expression or interpretation of the question " are we alone"? Do you always look at the night sky when you think of that question?

Just something to think about.

Latest Discussions