My dog is better than your dog, my dog's better than yours...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been a lot of discussion lately on what Martial Arts are and what Martial Arts aren't. On the differences we apparently feel strongly about. About what self defense is and isn't, what's good, what's not, what's wrong and a whole lot of innuendo seemingly geared to "they just don't get it."

Your dog is better than my dog, but I don't care because I really love my dog. And he loves me.....or just wants cookies and is playing me like the lovable chump that I am.

I think there are more similarities in what everyone here does, than differences. There's a lot of fighting, self defense or whatever you want to call it, but it's bottom lined towards fighting another human being. There's a lot of physical training involved. And most of that training is hard, sweaty work. There's a lot of learning about the human body, how to make yours work better, faster, stronger, healthier etc. And how to break, beat, trap, hurt, sweep, stop etc the body of another. There's usually work geared towards reading the signs, the intentions of others and how what they are subconsciously showing may be different than what they are saying. There's usually work geared towards helping others.

There's usually a particular costume involved, different ones in different places, but usually similar or same ones in each grouping. There's a rank and file system in place. There's a ton of learning going on. There's a lot of trial and error involved in some of that learning and a lot of times it hurts. There's usually some form of salutation between group members that is different from the everyday life of said members. There's physical contact in each training that's geared towards never having to use that particular particular skill anywhere else. (which is both odd and fun)

We all are fiercely loyal and passionate about what we do. I think passion is important, otherwise I feel it's playing charades. We do it because it's fun, and when it is no longer fun, or doesn't meet our needs, we either quit or go someplace else....and become loyal and passionate about that.

But it all comes from different places, usually somewhere back in time. It comes from some guy who thought it up. Which, of course, is vastly different from some other guy when he thought it up. Or some other guy when he (gasp!) changes a little something of what some guy thought up.

To those of you who don't teach yet, if you saw your instructors bickering the way some of us do, you'll probably leave and find another place. To those who teach, if your students did it - you would kick their ***.

Thank Holy God we have computer forums so we can straighten all this stuff out. We won't be singing Kumbayah any time soon, but that's okay. Otherwise, our dogs might think we're crazy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Buka

Well....I'm a better paper tiger than you are :D

Other than that...I like what you wrote... and it has been going on here since I've been here and likely long before too

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, perhaps we could learn from our dogs! They're the most humble and accepting people I know! :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post post Buka. Kind of think though, does a dog bark louder than a wolf, or does the wolf just get on with it. Bark is a bark, what follows is also important.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dogs are like their owners :) some are quiet till they get upset -- like me -- and they've got a better skillset than most humans amd whilst we might not be able to tell they do have their differences but there's no back chat and putting people down :) that's why i love my doggy :)

thankyou for the OP :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dogs are like their owners :) some are quiet till they get upset -- like me -- and they've got a better skillset than most humans amd whilst we might not be able to tell they do have their differences but there's no back chat and putting people down :) that's why i love my doggy :)

thankyou for the OP :)

Now let me guess, a Doberman or a Rottweiler :D

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love dogs. Better than people, actually. This is the first time in forty years that I am dogless. Not for long, though. By years end. God, I love dogs. That's where the name "Buka" came from. He was one of my pups from long ago. Still miss him.

jtuc6r.jpg

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
((((monster hugs))))

i ended up with jake after i got severely depressed when my last dog had to be put to sleep for being too aggressive and possessive of me --- she bit the wrong person and that was end of that :( she was very much my little girl :) and now i got my little boy who is 4 and a half and he's my world - my everything really :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no i got a red and white border collie (see avatar) --- more brains than is good for them and the ability to sus everything out before anything happens ;)

Doh, yeah lol. I have not had a dog for years. Used to have a little Yorkie called Betsy. Vicious towards all posties. In fact it got so bad, we had to get one of those American style boxes and place outside the front door. Fond memories of her still.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have a couple of beautiful German Shepherds.
:sp157:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh the joys of teaching it NO and training it to do simple stuff and then clearing up the mess when it decides it's going to play up and spit it's dummy out - again ;)

sorry but i've had 73 border collies go through my collie school :) i build gearboxes for a living and teach collies for fun :) i just love them to bits and they all have their own characters too - proper individuals :) some are like jake very quiet and very laid back with a couldn't care less attitude and some are like my last puppy - winters dream - which really did live up to her nickname of little monster and she's getting worse the older she gets LoL :) glad that i found her a really good home though :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But it all comes from different places, usually somewhere back in time. It comes from some guy who thought it up. Which, of course, is vastly different from some other guy when he thought it up. Or some other guy when he (gasp!) changes a little something of what some guy thought up.

Using the dog analogy since this seems to be the way the thread went, dogs are trained or bred to do a job, or just because they are pets. Border Collies herd, German Shepard's guard, pit bulls fight (I mean no disrespect to any dogs here, I'm just using a generalization). They are all dogs and they see each other as dogs (getting along or not with each other), but they don't care about what each one's duties are, they just enjoy their job even if it is just to be a comfort for their owner.

I see martial artists the same way, as Buka said we have more in common than in differences. But unlike the dogs we have a hard time separating ourselves and understanding our functions. I mean the Border Collie doesn't care about the hunting dogs function, he's just another dog; the German Shepard doesn't about the poodle's function to look pretty or whatever they just accept them as they are. However being a show dog (a performance martial artist) is different than say a MMAer (the pit bull), the Pure Bred (TMA stylist) is different than the Heinz 57 street dog (the eclectic stylist), and so on and so on.

However we as martial artists need to understand that a poodle shouldn't be telling a pit bull how to fight in the ring, likewise a pitbull shouldn't be telling the poodle how to win at dog shows when they are all scared up from fighting or dirty from guarding the junk yard. However the Border Collie could show the Shepard a thing or two about herding and rounding people up, and the Shepard could show the Collie a thing or two about guarding the herd; their job functions are closer together than the pit bull and the show dog. And you know the Heinz 57 street dog really shouldn't be telling the purebred about being pure.

To those of you who don't teach yet, if you saw your instructors bickering the way some of us do, you'll probably leave and find another place. To those who teach, if your students did it - you would kick their ***.

Yeah but you get a pack of dogs together and they all want to tell each other how great they are. Or maybe they are telling each other how great their master is, or just saying howdy. I don't know, I don't speak dog.

However the difference in your comment here is if this happened in the school setting yes this is wrong. But having civilized discourse or disagreements is healthy in the long run.

Thank Holy God we have computer forums so we can straighten all this stuff out. We won't be singing Kumbayah any time soon, but that's okay. Otherwise, our dogs might think we're crazy.

This past weekend I attended a Guro Inosanto seminar, and Guro spoke a lot about this, the whole getting along thing. Now Guro is 78 years young, and he has been around the block several times (experiences so to speak) so his message was pretty clear on the need for people to get past their differences. It's kind of funny because of how fractured the whole JKD world is; you have the JKD purists, Original JKD, JKD Concepts, JKD done by people who never knew nor met Bruce Lee expounding on what JKD is or is not on internet forums trashing the old timers who studied with Lee at one time or another etc. etc. Then we have the Kenpo stylists doing the same thing with Kenpo, the TKD stylist doing the same with the TKD and karate stylists etc. etc. and then the MMAers telling everyone it's all BS.

Over the years I'm sure I've done the same, in fact I've contributed to some of it here on MT, and in the class room. As I get older (I'm 53 years old) and practice more, I see more and more the wisdom in this message. He wasn't the first to preach this message, he won't be the last. Sometime it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Me, I favor the Heinz 57 dogs. Our dog Brandi is 13 years young, a part Pitbull, Catahoula, and who knows what else country dog. She is very protective of the house and the family including our cat, she's faithful, loyal, she's a racist (I swear we didn't teach her this, in fact it is very embarrassing), but an all around good dog. However knowing her predisposition to the dislike of other dogs and people of color, we don't put her in situations where she (feels she) has to act inappropriately.

Latest Discussions