should we step in yet? gas attack in syria

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure Turkey won't mind...
Hard to tell, when do you MYOB, when do you make the scumbags pay....

We certainly took our time - over ten years - to make the other scumbag pay for using gas on his own people...can we ride the high road on this now?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad video. I dont usually like getting involved in other countries affairs but how long do we let this go on?
I've had about enough.

I have similar feelings--I don't like getting involved when it means our soldiers will die but I also don't like watching this go on when we could help. If only the U.N. were effective.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder what involvement over there would entail? Whenever we choose one side over another, the side we pick all too frequently seems to wind up wanting to **** us further down the road.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I'd feel better about it if we could bomb a few things and install a humane govt.--I'd greenlight that with no problem. But I'm not sure there are "good guys" waiting in the wings (who would be acceptable to the populace).

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have similar feelings--I don't like getting involved when it means our soldiers will die but I also don't like watching this go on when we could help. If only the U.N. were effective.

To make it effective you have to remove the veto power of the original nuclear powers.

I'm all for it.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To make it effective you have to remove the veto power of the original nuclear powers.

I'm all for it.

Well, that and...
Having all countries pay their tab to the UN.
Electing our representatives to the UN.
Having countries give up rights, in order for the UN to make the decisions.
Having the UN not become a sounding board for everyone with an axe to grind.
plus a dozen other reasons...
The UN has done and continues to do very good work.
UNICEF, WHO are two great successes.
It's mandate was to stop wars BETWEEN countries, generally what happens internally, doesn't matter to them.
All that being said, the UN needs a massive, massive, frickin large overhaul. I do not like how western countries pay so much to this organisation, and then get slapped in the face when countries like Iran get to Chair committees on Human Rights. It has become a way for the third world to team up, and thumb their collective noses at the first world.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Russians and Chinese will happily use their veto power.

The UN isn't going to help. They've become less than useless, since it has become little more than a bully pulpit for people to bash Israel and the United States, even though we fund the UN with substantial contributions...

That being said, who are we supporting here? Furthermore, do the people of Syria want us to get involved? The last I saw, the people of Syria hate us, and don't want anything to do with us (except for the dollars that would go their way in the form of foreign aid).

President Obama should not have drawn that red line in the sand, unless he were 100% certain that we would get involved.

Latest Discussions