Should Teens train with adults?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just curious as to seeing what everyone else does at their schools.

So, do you have a separate class for teens? Also, when do you think they would be ready to join the adult class?

Especially in jiu jitsu, where rolling is involved, would you pair up a teen with an adult female or vice versa? When would you think they would be mature enough to roll with adults?

Thanks for your input.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We separate our age groups into 4 -6, 7 - 9, 10 - 13, and 14 and up.
I do think younger students should train with older students at least some of the time since they may have to be able to use their techniques against almost any age or body type.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am with Frank on this one. I do not see a need to seperate except for certain reason. A 14 year old should be developed enough mentally and physically to train. We also try and seperate by belts as well.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's stuff we wouldn't want teens to learn until the hormonal storms of early adolescence are well past.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's stuff we wouldn't want teens to learn until the hormonal storms of early adolescence are well past.

Good point..Ya dont want some 16 year hottie rolling around on the mat with some male in his late 20's, or some 16 year old stud being in the mount on some cougar...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point..Ya dont want some 16 year hottie rolling around on the mat with some male in his late 20's, or some 16 year old stud being in the mount on some cougar...

Only you guys would bring up that subject but you are rigth, we make sure when we do it is with the right type of person to train with.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's a good point. Most schools I have trained at ( including my school)do have differences in the curriculums between kids and adults, however, the two can still have periodic training sessions together. At the end of a program we do with the Town, we have the adult instructors put full gear on and try and grab and gain control of the kids. The kids fight for all they are worth against the adults and can be very tough to control when the kids go all out. I think this type of training is important. If kids only train with kids I think they will have a very difficult time adjusting to fighting an adult if the need arose. We are also careful to match up appropriate partners depending upon age and gender and the technique being learned.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only you guys would bring up that subject but you are rigth, we make sure when we do it is with the right type of person to train with.

GMP went off on me when he caught me doing ground techniques with a stunning redhead while in Jersey..She asked me to train with her...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GMP went off on me when he caught me doing ground techniques with a stunning redhead while in Jersey..She asked me to train with her...

I can belief that he is real particular about these things.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughters are in goju ryu primarily to learn self-defense. Since adults are certainly a class of potential attackers in real life, it is wise that the young ones get some training time with adults.

Shihan Trotman runs a pretty tight ship, so I don't worry much about impropriety. I am always in the stands watching, though. Even if the excellent instructors were to miss something, I would give a free lesson of my own to anyone anywhere who hurts my children.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found that too many teens in a class discourages adults from joining. As a loose rule, I kind of draw the line at being old enough to drive to class on their own, and mature enough that I'm not going to have to modify what I teach like I do when it's younger kids.

If I have a large enough body of teens, I'll set up a separate class for them.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was thinking more of things that I don't want them to know how to do until there's a better shot at good impulse control. Knives and neck breaks just make uncorrectable mistakes too easy when you know how to use them.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

When I was 16 I was the only teen training with adults. It turned out to be a good experience for me.
There wasn't any females in my classes back then so my only mounting experience with a cougar was outside the dojo...
icon12.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is about right for 'adult' classes. They need the physical and mental maturity to be in there--but when they have it, it's to their benefit to be in with adults to see the strength and power, and to the adults' benefit to be reminded of the energy and endurance.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We would usually seperate students into under 5, 6-12, and 13 and up. The line where teens joined the adult class was loosely 13 years old, but it wasn't a clear delineation. If it was a big strong 12 year old, or an undersized immature 14 year old, we may adjust accordingly. When a teen enters adult class they are expected to act like an adult, and the adults are expected to understand that it's a teen.

I've found that, generally speaking, if I treat training as serious business, then others will as well. True, there may be individuals who aren't ready for that, but you can pair them off more carefully. The majority of students should be able to do the majority of drills with the majority of partners. In those rare cases where someone was having trouble being appropriate, I would pull them aside and address the issue.

We are all human beings and relationships often form between students, but the studio is not a meat market, and there's no place for that when we're training. Serious business.

-Rob

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So, do you have a separate class for teens? Also, when do you think they would be ready to join the adult class?

Especially in jiu jitsu, where rolling is involved, would you pair up a teen with an adult female or vice versa? When would you think they would be mature enough to roll with adults?

Thanks for your input.

We have 13-17 and then classes for 18 and up but it doesnt matter. if i missed a 13-17 class i could always go to the adult class and in fact i did because i didn't like the teen class. i felt much better prcticing with adults then with other teens.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is about right for 'adult' classes. They need the physical and mental maturity to be in there--but when they have it, it's to their benefit to be in with adults to see the strength and power, and to the adults' benefit to be reminded of the energy and endurance.

That age works well for us and also if they aren't ready to move to the adult class yet, we will hold them a bit longer until they are ready.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 15 year old lad in the MMA class, he's mature and adult in the class though his father says he can still be a pain at home lol. I roll with him as do all the others....he taps most of us out! It's no problem at all having him there,being treated as an adult improves his behaviour his family say, they are pleased.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can belief that he is real particular about these things.

Once I explained that she was not really testing her abilities training with a little girl half her size and weight he understood, I believe that is inital reaction was for theatrical purposes only..She was in the IPDTI class and wanted the certificate to train LEO's...

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your input.
i think teens should be put with adults. Teens are more easily influenced than kids or adults. So by putting them with adults it will help them to grow and mature

B

Latest Discussions