Should an instructor help a student reach his goals or vice versa?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not? If students want help, if instructors want to help, and if parents give approval seriously. Why not?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you think the following situation?

A: Can you teach me?
B: The day that you stop drinking and smoking, I'll start to teach you.

I certainly understand the thinking behind that, but I'll let them sort that out themselves. If they want help with it, I'll provide it, but if they don't, and they can keep up with our training, all the more power to them. But very few would be able to keep up.

That being said....and this might ps off some people, but if a student is out drinking in bars and getting into situations, or just drinking and getting into situations, I'll step in and change it - or he's gone from the dojo. Yes, it's a mother hen attitude and what the hell gives me the right? My dojo, my rules. Plenty of other places to train, they were all listed on the wall.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I certainly understand the thinking behind that, but I'll let them sort that out themselves. If they want help with it, I'll provide it, but if they don't, and they can keep up with our training, all the more power to them. But very few would be able to keep up.

That being said....and this might ps off some people, but if a student is out drinking in bars and getting into situations, or just drinking and getting into situations, I'll step in and change it - or he's gone from the dojo. Yes, it's a mother hen attitude and what the hell gives me the right? My dojo, my rules. Plenty of other places to train, they were all listed on the wall.

If someone used the training you gave them to pick fights in the street, I don't blame you for banning them from your dojo. At the end of the day it's your dojo's reputation at stake and if you are teaching techniques that could harm or even kill someone, you want to make sure they are being taught to responsible people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If someone used the training you gave them to pick fights in the street, I don't blame you for banning them from your dojo. At the end of the day it's your dojo's reputation at stake and if you are teaching techniques that could harm or even kill someone, you want to make sure they are being taught to responsible people.

When I said "situations" I meant any kind of trouble, legal, social, whatever, but should they ever actually go out and start fights, and I'd hear about that, trust me, Boston is a small city, yeah, I'd throw them out. But not before everyone in the dojo kicked their backsides from one end of the dojo to the other.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not? If students want help, if instructors want to help, and if parents give approval seriously. Why not?
As for parents giving approval that would depend on whether its a child or adult whose training. They both make up the crowd that trains in martial arts.

I agree with what you say except some people might not. There are some dojos that are ran with the mindset that its all about what the student can contribute to the dojo not the other way around.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone used the training you gave them to pick fights in the street, I don't blame you for banning them from your dojo.
If somebody is picking fights banning them from a dojo would probably not be an issue as they would most likely be in jail.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for parents giving approval that would depend on whether its a child or adult whose training. They both make up the crowd that trains in martial arts.

I agree with what you say except some people might not. There are some dojos that are ran with the mindset that its all about what the student can contribute to the dojo not the other way around.
That's why we have separate schools.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If somebody is picking fights banning them from a dojo would probably not be an issue as they would most likely be in jail.

That takes a great deal of time - from an arrest, to court, to appeal, to court, to jail.

My solution is much quicker. More fun, too. When you're running a dojo you need to take care of your people, both the positives and negatives.

Latest Discussions