short stances

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would this be a good example of the most recent standards in Taeguk poomsaes?

Yeah this is correct but this guy makes a small mistake. Notice that everytime he does his first front kick he takes a small step with the left foot. I thought that maybe he only did this once but each time he did the form he did the same small step with the left foot on the first front kick. Seems that this is a habit for him now.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. That is how we are taught at our school. Stylistic difference I suppose. I thought that the video was quite good.

Daniel

Yeah, a year or two ago, our ocmp team coach mad ea big push that was backed by the school owner to get our poomse 's in line with competition team trial standards. He got ahold o fth edartfish videos and the wtf videos and studied the hell out of them, noting where we differed from the standards that were goin got be used at team trials. He also notes there were some mindor differences between these two sources as well.

Amnyway, one of the things he stressed was that wew chamber the inside block withthe blocking arm at a vertical 90 degree angle and the non blocking arm horizontla, 90 degree angle in front.

When I saw the straight arm chamber at trials he mentioned that allowances were still be made for official variations such as that (he'd heard that at a poomse seminar he attended prior to this years team trials).

Peace,
Erik

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah this is correct but this guy makes a small mistake. Notice that everytime he does his first front kick he takes a small step with the left foot. I thought that maybe he only did this once but each time he did the form he did the same small step with the left foot on the first front kick. Seems that this is a habit for him now.

Thanks. I am trying to get up to standard with my forms and I have worked them in a while, so I am just making sure this close to most recent standards that is out there.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to get up to standard with my forms and I have worked them in a while, so I am just making sure this close to most recent standards that is out there.
That video was from KKW and not WTF. This has been the KKW standard from the begining. Those videos are quite good and I like the end of each as they show some applications, some not all.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That video was from KKW and not WTF. This has been the KKW standard from the begining. Those videos are quite good and I like the end of each as they show some applications, some not all.
Cool. I am looking KKW standard not WTF standard. It was my understanding that KKW standards were changed slightly. That is why I am going over them again. :)

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You need to be able to do both WTF and Kukkiwon if you compete, lol.

We have to adjust all the time and be ready to change at World's.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You need to be able to do both WTF and Kukkiwon if you compete, lol.

We have to adjust all the time and be ready to change at World's.
Nope..not planning on competing...well...if I do it will be at the 2nd Annual US Open Hanmadang next year, which I believe they will go off of KKW standards.

I just want to be up speed on them for my own knowledge as well as if I decide to hop back into TKD to go for my 4th dan.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nope..not planning on competing...well...if I do it will be at the 2nd Annual US Open Hanmadang next year, which I believe they will go off of KKW standards.

If that group follows the KKW standards I would be AMAZED!

They did not even get close last year and really have no clue to what competitive World Class Poomsae is about. It is more like a local tourney as far as poomsae is concerned; real technical poomsae would probably not do well.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If that group follows the KKW standards I would be AMAZED!

They did not even get close last year and really have no clue to what competitive World Class Poomsae is about. It is more like a local tourney as far as poomsae is concerned; real technical poomsae would probably not do well.
Since I am unfamiliar with KKW standards at this point I can not comment either way on how they judged it last year. What I can say though is that the Hanmadang is ran according to KKW not WTF. We are hoping this year to be a bit bigger than last year. Proper marketing was not done on the event.

Even the original TKD US Open was not a huge draw its first year.

Latest Discussions