Shoes

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After reading the poll on training footware Im just after peoples opinions on weather or not after training in bare feet did the wearing of shoes make the skills easier to do or just different or more effective or what.
Its obvious that they did make a difference and Im just wondering whether if you train in bare feet and then get into a confrontation with shoes will it just give you another advantage or is it so different as to hinder your movements.

Thought I would ask before I spend the greens!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about safer?

Shoes protect your feet, and I like my feet so I always make sure to get good footware.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
How about safer?

Shoes protect your feet, and I like my feet so I always make sure to get good footware.
Have you ever actually answered the question that was posted and left your comments in your head?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats the biggest difference I've noticed.

My feet don't get hurt as much anymore, other then that it doesn't make a huge difference.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
Have you ever actually answered the question that was posted and left your comments in your head?

I never saw that particular thread myself, so does that make my opinion (or Andrews) any less valid? Considering the fact that we wear shoes (of all kinds) possibly 99.9% of the time when outside of the home, I agree with Andrew in that shoes protect the feet in application as well as general use. There are times when I wear sandals during quick jaunts to the convenience store, but thats about it. During training I encourage the wearing of sneakers or whatever during classes, to help keep the realistic feel. Since I never wear cowboy boots, or non-skid resistant dress shoes, that keeps it closer to reality IMO. Personally, I wear Otomix high tops, and those fit in practically every dress class I face. From weddings, formal occasions, security jobs and just plain club hopping, they work without any comments from the fashion concious.

Franco

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
masterfinger said:
Personally, I wear Otomix high tops, and those fit in practically every dress class I face. From weddings, formal occasions, security jobs and just plain club hopping, they work without any comments from the fashion concious.Franco

Hear, Hear..

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mostly wear sandals in my day to day life (for 'formal occasions'..it's dark sandals with black socks : )

So, I will occasionally practice kicking with the same sandals I wear. Usually just kicking against a bag. The difference in weight is not big, but it does seem to make a difference. One thing that has occurred to me in the threads in the TKD forum about trainging with weights on the feet is that while there is a risk of hyperextension, there is also the reality that in an true-life encounter you will probably have foot gear on so it's probably good to get used to kicking with a bit of extra weight. It helps me to be aware of not flailing away too much; to know when to tighten so I don't over extend.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i never wear shoes when i practice, and my normal footwear is hiking boots no matter what the weather. that being said......i have kicked a few times while wearing boots but usually stay below knee height.

J

jkdhit

i would think training in shoes would be better than bare foot because a majority of the time youre wearing your shoes.

if you wear your shoes when you train then you can move as you've trained but if you're bare foot and then fight in shoes then you'll feel more handicapped because of some restrictions

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear sneakers sometimes, nothing other times. It varies. I feel I have better control in bare feet, but I agree that you'll usually be wearing footwear in an actual altercation and it makes sense to think in those terms.

J

jkdhit

yeah most of the time i train using running or tennis shoes if theres concrete or grass around. if im at home then i'll wear my tkd shoes

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are people who go bare foot alot and can even walk on the lava rocks with no effects's to there feet.

Off course you should wear shoes, some schools prefer their students to go bare foot, than you follow what is required. In our school it is your choice. Thru the years we found it is better to wear some kind of shoes. (I don;t go barefoot anymore-we can afford to buy now).

So many choices today and they come in pairs.....one for each foot...Aloha

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
masterfinger said:
Personally, I wear Otomix high tops, and those fit in practically every dress class I face. From weddings, formal occasions, security jobs and just plain club hopping, they work without any comments from the fashion concious.
Man, my wife would kill me! I've trained with bare feet, sneakers and wrestling shoes. I prefer now having something on my feet. (I've broken a few toes - I know, it was usually my own fault.)

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
After reading the poll on training footware Im just after peoples opinions on weather or not after training in bare feet did the wearing of shoes make the skills easier to do or just different or more effective or what.
Its obvious that they did make a difference and Im just wondering whether if you train in bare feet and then get into a confrontation with shoes will it just give you another advantage or is it so different as to hinder your movements.

In my experience shoes and bare feet are similar but different. The skills carry over but it's good to train at least some in the shoes you wear. I always liked the pictures of the old FMA guys in slacks sport shirt and loafers.

Personally I started wearing shoes after I stripped a knife into my own foot. Painful and a good lesson.

Jeff

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in wrestling shoes and with bare feet. In my day to day I normally wear steel toe boots(for work) and cross-trainers. With the wearing of steel toes all day I really don't have to adjust my techniques to accomodate for the cross-trainers, but the steel toes are a different story. I try to not do any kicking techniques, unless it is a very low roundhouse or front kick. My footwork varies with less movement and more rooting. The advantage is obvious in that your toe area is almost indestructible. Hope this was what you were looking for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of my training is done with wrestling shoes. Outside training is done in sneakers. I prefer to train this way not only because of the protection the shoes offer, but the majority of the time, I'm wearing shoes anyway, so why not be used to moving, kicking, etc. with shoes on.

Mike

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
Whats the difference between wrestling shoes and martial art shoes

The brand name? Lol. To me, there's really not much difference, save for the fact that wrestling shoes are basically all high tops, while martial arts shoes come in a wider variety of style, i.e. short tops, high tops, slip ons, and tie ups. One thing bugged me about wrestling shoes though, alot of the sporting shoe stores I went to didn't have wrestling shoes in stock because they "werent in season" at the time I looked for them :idunno: .
When it comes to differences, they're both very much the same in that they are very lightweight & flat thin solled. But then theres the chinese kind too. I really like the black chinese Kung-Fu shoes with the multi-layered cloth bottoms. Though they dont last too long with prolonged wear, they're very comfortable and cheap (about $5.00 a pair).

Franco

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:

Everyone in my school wears shoes but I.. I can't get 'em in tripple wide, lol.

Here's an interesting article on Kung Fu footwear. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=383

Latest Discussions