funny

J

jkdhit

has anyone ever heard of "the system"? it's a russian martial arts system, i heard about it from my college in freshmen year at the hand-to-hand combat club because that's what they taught.

the 2 instructors were being a bit cocky and asking me to demonstrate roundhouse kicks and comparing it with roundhouse kicks in the system which was actually just a spin kick. i actually took down the main instructor when he had asked for a quick spar - he caught me in a wrist lock when i gave him a cross punch but i countered it with a headlock using my legs. he told me i was too flexible for him and had me spar the other instructor who was only a couple of years older than me at the time. i gave him a high roundhouse to the head but he slipped under it put me in a full nelson and wrapped his legs around my waist. i threw my back to the floor to loosen his grip, he put his legs around my head in a headlock and i flipped backwards out of the lock, stomped him in the stomach with my hip, and proceeded to put him in a leg lock.

after that, they tried to convince me to join their school because the head instructor always taught and is supposed to be among the best of all the instructors in the entire system. they also told me that the system is somewhat similar to jkd which i didn't believe at all. they also tried to convince me to check out the martial arts site at www.russianmartialart.com

so i ended up checking out the site and ordered a few of the videos which were quite expensive. when i saw the videos, i thought they were just hilarious because the movements used are basically mechanical movements programmed into your head for certain situations. i also saw the main instructor in the video who's a very heavy set man.. in all the videos the 2 instructors seem very cocky and perform impractical movements in slow motion. never do they show anything in actual speed.

what i also thought was funny was that one of the instructors in the video made claims about how he would never use "the system" in sparring because of how dangerous it would be on the opponent that's why he never competes in competitions. but also he claimed that he outruns machine guns, etc etc

i just thought i'd share my insights and see if anyone else had seen the videos or practiced "the system"

here are some links to videos..

http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/video/1gn.mpg

http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/video/strikes.wmv

http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/video/1Defense ag. Wep.wmv

http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/video/1systema HH to HH.wmv

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
has anyone ever heard of "the system"? it's a russian martial arts system, i heard about it from my college in freshmen year at the hand-to-hand combat club because that's what they taught.

the 2 instructors were being a bit cocky and asking me to demonstrate roundhouse kicks and comparing it with roundhouse kicks in the system which was actually just a spin kick. i actually took down the main instructor when he had asked for a quick spar - he caught me in a wrist lock when i gave him a cross punch but i countered it with a headlock using my legs. he told me i was too flexible for him and had me spar the other instructor who was only a couple of years older than me at the time. i gave him a high roundhouse to the head but he slipped under it put me in a full nelson and wrapped his legs around my waist. i threw my back to the floor to loosen his grip, he put his legs around my head in a headlock and i flipped backwards out of the lock, stomped him in the stomach with my hip, and proceeded to put him in a leg lock.

after that, they tried to convince me to join their school because the head instructor always taught and is supposed to be among the best of all the instructors in the entire system. they also told me that the system is somewhat similar to jkd which i didn't believe at all. they also tried to convince me to check out the martial arts site at www.russianmartialart.com

so i ended up checking out the site and ordered a few of the videos which were quite expensive. when i saw the videos, i thought they were just hilarious because the movements used are basically mechanical movements programmed into your head for certain situations. i also saw the main instructor in the video who's a very heavy set man.. in all the videos the 2 instructors seem very cocky and perform impractical movements in slow motion. never do they show anything in actual speed.

what i also thought was funny was that one of the instructors in the video made claims about how he would never use "the system" in sparring because of how dangerous it would be on the opponent that's why he never competes in competitions. but also he claimed that he outruns machine guns, etc etc

i just thought i'd share my insights and see if anyone else had seen the videos or practiced "the system"
ask the people in the russian martial arts section, they will know all about Systema which means the system I have never done it but ask them about the art.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
You might get a better response if you posted in the correct forum. MartialTalk does have a Russian Arts section ya'know.

Personally, I've found the few Systema people I've dealt with to be good people who play hard. My opinion of some of their videos is that they weren't so good. In one, an instructor demonstrates "Iron Neck" technique, or I assume that is what it is as he disarms blades and brings them across his exposed throat. It also had wallet disarms, etc. It was very much MST3k'd at our viewing party. The vid was crap, but the people were good. Definately willing to share.

1 interesting thing about the senior instructors though. I believe they are all or mostly ex- Russian special forces, which means, they have used it in real life-or-death situations. Very unlike the local McBozo who's just doing the same dance steps he learned from his instructor, never sure if it's real.

OP
J

jkdhit

yeah i didnt even notice we had a russian ma section :p

they all claimed to be ex-russian special ops but there's no real way to prove it. i can move to a new country and claim myself to be an ex-mi6 agent and some people might believe me if i decided to make a few slow motion videos and sell them :p

as for running from machine guns etc shooting at them? ehhh i find that really hard to believe. i think that in order to really make it more believeable, they have to actually apply it to a combat situation.. i saw quite a few named movements which i find very hard to believe such as the trinity kick and trinity punch.

all of this just makes me think of a mix between aikido and that movie.. the hunted

Latest Discussions