How much for a black belt?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
How much does your school charge for a 1st dan certificate/test?

In Israel, the physical belt costs about $7, until you need to buy a black one, which costs $22. Does this happen in other countries too?

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Colored belt tests are $25, BB $75. You can get any color belt for around $5, including black. You can get a quality BB for $20 and up. I have a Tokaido and I think it was around $40.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the main question is how much does the school sell the Black Belts, I don't know of any. If the question is how much can a person buy them from a Martial Arts supply store (A.W.M.A. for example) that varies from store to store.

Myself the tests for Chodan runs $200. This includes the midnight blue trimmed uniform, the 11x14 Certificate, ID card, and name/rank placed on website.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of blood, sweat and tears...the money was the least important. TW

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
A lot of blood, sweat and tears...the money was the least important. TW

amen to that.

At the time I thought the test was the worst little did I know the pain had just begun.

The Test was the same as all the rest of my test $0 dollars No testing fee at our School.

V/R

Rick

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We do not charge for Kyu ranks test. The student just pays the cost of the belt @ $3.00 each. The Test is free. As for the black Belt

Each Black Belt ranks is a little different. There is a Yodansha Board that sets in Including Black Belts from several different Schools in my area. So there is a Charge for the Base Test of $75.00

Shodan Is just a simlple Black Belt and ranges from $5.00 - $50.00

The Rest of the ranks from 2nd up have different belts and the need for Kanji on the belt with the students name/rank and the system.
This is for 2nd 4th 6th 8th & 10th. They get Gold Stripes added for the other ranks. and there is just the Yodansha Fee for these test.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Belts themselves are cheap--is that the question?
The question was about the cost of the certificate and the test itself.

S

Satori

One school I went to charged about $500 for the shodan test. I couldn't afford it, so I wasn't allowed to get shodan there. Hmm...martial ability = financial ability?

Bad school.

May you achieve
Satori

R

rainbows

It's 135 euro for the 1st dan test in my association. My club is a college club, and the college paid for 2 of us to do our black belt tests this year. :)

G

goshawk

The grading itself is the same cost as any other private lesson. As for the physical belt, our school charges $10 for the regular ones, and $30 for a BB with the Kenpo kanji on it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is amazing what everyone does and charges for the Black belt testing.

In our school all lower ranks pay a $25.00 testing fee. You can test over and over if you fail and pay only one time for each rank.

All Black belt testing is FREE. No charge to test. All students must be recommended by their Instructor and is tested in front of the Professor and his Chief Instrutors. (approx 4-5 hours long). The Black belt test is given only twice a year and you may test over and over. In the last couple of years the physcial part is getting harder and tougher.

J

jkdhit

black belts cost anywhere from about $3 to $22 from what i've seen

i went to a few diff tkd schools and one of them charged $130 for a black belt test but i didn't like that school too much because he never failed anyone who did horrible

the school i currently go to is $120 for the black belt test which is held twice a year. other rankings only have to pay $40 for their tests. however.. people who have financial issues can have the fee waived or cut down a lot. everyone at my school knows this but no one i know has ever used it except when it comes to tuition. the thing i like most is that the money isn't being squandered away, i speak to my instructors freely between classes and they admit that they dont have much money and that they all live in apartments with room mates except for the head instructor who owns his own house.

no one can really complain about the tuition or testing fees which is quite fare because i know the location where the schools are, are pretty pricey. also, a lot of money is spent for students + instructors birthday parties which are held on saturdays, there's always free drinks, food, ice cream, and cake. also, every year there's an annual bbq where everyone can bring their friends and family for free, there's all you can eat food, drinks, snacks, and desserts.. so can't really complain

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
testing is covered by your monthly fees. So its free basically.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
All kyu tests are $25. Sho-dan is $100 which equals $30 for the belt and $70 for the certificates and rank to be registered with our parent organization. At Go-dan it is $225 for the test and rank registration and another $125 if you decide to switch belts.

MartialFighter

White Belt
Reaction score
I really hate to admit this, but I paid $450 for my testing. Quite frankly I dont have a paying this amount. I have a problem when everyone who tested passed, when, obviously they dont deserve it.

Latest Discussions