Shock Jacket

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
80,000 volts of "I told you don't touch me!" in a fashionable black jacket.
[yt]cOE71e8e5pE[/yt]
Must be a heck of a shock but at $950 per jacket the sticker price is shocking enough. Still not a bad idea... I can see the applications to it, and probably cheaper versions but are still just as effective.
But would this get past security checkpoints?
What do you think?

I'd like to see one demonstrated with an attacker. :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice idea, although a 9V battery can't supply very much bite. Touch the person through gloves or clothing and the shock will be negligible.

Not trying to be a wet blanket...the physics just aren't there for a serious zap.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice idea, although a 9V battery can't supply very much bite. Touch the person through gloves or clothing and the shock will be negligible.

Not trying to be a wet blanket...the physics just aren't there for a serious zap.
Yeah I was wondering about that using a 9 volt battery to create 80K volts? uhh... wait a minnit. But then again I don't understand currents, amps and voltage that well anyway...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Actually, the physics are there for a serious zap, just not many of them. Tasers operate off of a 12v batteries, and stun guns operate off of 9v batteries. With the same sort of circuit: battery to transformer to capacitor to transformer to discharge, it's entirely possible that 9v could result in 80,000v peak, and delivering an actual charge of about a tenth of that. Given the nature of the discharge area, though, and the battery's capacity, I doubt that it is capable of many discharges......

edit: I found a good page that explains the circuit, with a neat picture:

Attachments

• $Device-Design-2.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 197

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But they both work off 9v and 12v rechargable batteries which can pump a lot more current.

Can you really get that much bite off a grocery store battery? I thought they can't reliably do more than 500 mAhr without the performance gettting really dodgy (from the heat in the cells).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
But they both work off 9v and 12v rechargable batteries which can pump a lot more current.

Can you really get that much bite off a grocery store battery? I thought they can't reliably do more than 500 mAhr without the performance gettting really dodgy (from the heat in the cells).

Well,yes, but probably not more than once. A good example of this is those hand-held stun guns that run off the more common 9v "energizer alkaline" batteries: a lot of people can take one of those, and just zap themselves: hold it right against their chest or their arm, and discharge away. it's not because, as they sometimes claim, that they "can't be tazed", it's because of the deterioration of the battery and the dielectric of the capacitor (the capacitors sometimes will deteriorate sitting on the shelf uncharged)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ingenuity in hard times, might work. I would love to see a demo.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Stun Guns" are just pain compliance tools. This jacket wouldn't hold off a determined attacker.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could be a neat way to keep someone from getting too close to you on the subway ;)

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Stun Guns" are just pain compliance tools. This jacket wouldn't hold off a determined attacker.
Hold them off... no, GET them off, probably... maybe enough time for you to perform whatever SD/MA techniques that you've been trained to do... like running away or yelling FIRE! or your favorite close-range technique. If anything it gives you that one or two second edge which could make a helluva difference.

But it's still too damned pricey for the everyday person.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but get careless and imagine the scene when you get home and the wife and girls run over to give you a hug! I'm not thinking HERSELF would see the humor.....
I'm sure she would...

If she were the one to be wearing the jacket.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am disappointed. Here I was hoping it was a new way to control prisoners, the toned down version of the exploding collars from Running Man.

Guard pushes button and the inmate goes down.

Cool idea anyway. I hereby vote Carol to be the first person to get hit with it. To test the physics behind it.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just don't put the damned thing on inside-out!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's also the question of seasons. Who's going to wear it on a hot summer night? It would be interesting to see what kind of a summer version they'd come out with. Maybe the "shock baseball cap," or the "shock sundress."

Latest Discussions