Shin-Toshi Karate, your thoughts?

OP
S

Strikes

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight everyone! I love this forum :inlove: I like how helpful you all are in dealing with my newb self :)

I think I'm going to try out the BJJ as it is very close and I like the training times as well. I may see if he has a military discount or something too.

Thanks,
Quinn

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight everyone! I love this forum :inlove: I like how helpful you all are in dealing with my newb self :)

I think I'm going to try out the BJJ as it is very close and I like the training times as well. I may see if he has a military discount or something too.

Thanks,
Quinn
Don't forget to let us know how you get on. :asian:

OP
S

Strikes

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I will remain here, loved this forum since I found it. Just never really had anything to post because I didn't practice anything.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a post in the beginner forum but it isn't getting any attention. I would like to train in Karate, but there are not many options near me, so I would like to see what you all think about this school that is fairly local.

Here is the description of the art:
http://www.karateshin-toshi.com/Excellence/evolution.htm
And the school's website:
http://www.utahkarateinstitute.com/

I am 26, in the Air Force, stationed at Hill AFB and I live in Ogden, UT. I'm fairly flexible for not stretching and am also fairly fit 5'10" 145lbs. I don't know if I want to risk Tae Kwon Do because I do want to be able to defend myself in a self defense situation and I know that TKD CAN be used, it's more for the sport and not trained as much for self defense.

Thanks!
~Quinn

Just my two mexican cents. TKD can be as efective as Karate, besides sport TKD has many things like karate, for example we have poomsae (kata), we have ones stpes (ipon kumite) three steps, sparring (full contact in WTS Style dojangs) self defense, sweeps,throws,arm bars,etc.

Sport side it's not TKD only, in fact karate also has is sport side as judo does, as wusshu does,etc.etc.

Manny

Rey316

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a post in the beginner forum but it isn't getting any attention. I would like to train in Karate, but there are not many options near me, so I would like to see what you all think about this school that is fairly local.

Here is the description of the art:
Karate Shin-Toshi: Evolution
And the school's website:
Utah Karate Institute: Welcome

I am 26, in the Air Force, stationed at Hill AFB and I live in Ogden, UT. I'm fairly flexible for not stretching and am also fairly fit 5'10" 145lbs. I don't know if I want to risk Tae Kwon Do because I do want to be able to defend myself in a self defense situation and I know that TKD CAN be used, it's more for the sport and not trained as much for self defense.

Thanks!
~Quinn
Before l joined the Army as a Combat Medic l looked around the Dallas and Denton area in Texas. After an exhaustive search l founded Mr. MICKY FISHER & SHIN TOSHI KARATE to be one of the BEST.Bar none! Even though I was afraid to get hurt l accepted that it was a contract sport. You are gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt. Yet l knew to be the best you have to learn from the best...and Mr. Fisher was the best! After studying Shin Toshi karate for several months before going into the military l learned that l made the best decision of choices in martial arts schools. I went around the whole Dallas and Denton schools including Arlington. I went into the military as a Combat Medic and earned my way up into the elite Special Forces. In these military units almost all the soldiers are Black Belts in one style or another. So we trained and mixed our styles however Shin Toshi and Kenpo karate always sermed to best the other styles for the simple reason...we took from every style and used it. Shin Toshi karate was known as the " BASTARD" karate because it did NOT stick to any style. All styles has a strong and a weakness. I helped train 2 young boys before retiring from teaching. Those 2 boys became State and International Fighting Champions! Not just for one year but for several. To this day...they are still champions. Well known and respected in the Austin area. So all this negative information about Shin Toshi karate is just people talking and blowing smoke up your ***. Try it and see for yourself. Don't let others talk or scare you away from any style because any style is better than none.

RG
Frisco, TX

Rey316

White Belt
Reaction score
If you follow the link in the website you posted to their mainpage (covering all their schools not just the one you are interested in)

Here it is for ease of use: Karate Shin-Toshi: UKI Schools (not sure if it will work though)

Under classes and then enrollment they have a printable coupon for beginners to try out a free trial class. So like everyone else has said before me, go and give it a go and make your mind up, at least it won't cost you anything.

Hope that helps :)
Good advice without trashing like the others.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before l joined the Army as a Combat Medic l looked around the Dallas and Denton area in Texas. After an exhaustive search l founded Mr. MICKY FISHER & SHIN TOSHI KARATE to be one of the BEST.Bar none! Even though I was afraid to get hurt l accepted that it was a contract sport. You are gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt. Yet l knew to be the best you have to learn from the best...and Mr. Fisher was the best! After studying Shin Toshi karate for several months before going into the military l learned that l made the best decision of choices in martial arts schools. I went around the whole Dallas and Denton schools including Arlington. I went into the military as a Combat Medic and earned my way up into the elite Special Forces. In these military units almost all the soldiers are Black Belts in one style or another. So we trained and mixed our styles however Shin Toshi and Kenpo karate always sermed to best the other styles for the simple reason...we took from every style and used it. Shin Toshi karate was known as the " BASTARD" karate because it did NOT stick to any style. All styles has a strong and a weakness. I helped train 2 young boys before retiring from teaching. Those 2 boys became State and International Fighting Champions! Not just for one year but for several. To this day...they are still champions. Well known and respected in the Austin area. So all this negative information about Shin Toshi karate is just people talking and blowing smoke up your ***. Try it and see for yourself. Don't let others talk or scare you away from any style because any style is better than none.

RG
Frisco, TX
Given the last post in this thread was over 6 years ago, I'm not sure how many of the posters will still be active for you to argue with.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Given the last post in this thread was over 6 years ago, I'm not sure how many of the posters will still be active for you to argue with.

I can provide an argument service for a very reasonable hourly rate.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread "got" me for a few posts before I realized how old it was.
However I have concerns about posts from people who say their art is the best based on how great they are.
Also "taking stuff" from other arts is not a logical argument for competence or functionality.
Just sayin

Rey316

White Belt
Reaction score
My hope was to educate and inform. Not argue over this. Anyone should go and look for themselves and not take their word for it.
By the way...l am NOT a WHITE BELT but a 3rd degree Black Belt. Even though l am ONLY a 3rd degree is because l refused to be GIVEN a higher degree and not EARNED. Many of my fellow black belts will tell you this. I am not ashame but believe in the old ways of earning it. And in my eyes at the time l didn't believe l was worthy enough. My mistake for l was not wise enough and should have listen to my martial arts instructors at the time.

Last edited:

Rey316

White Belt
Reaction score
This thread "got" me for a few posts before I realized how old it was.
However I have concerns about posts from people who say their art is the best based on how great they are.
Also "taking stuff" from other arts is not a logical argument for competence or functionality.
Just sayin

Sir,
The late great BRUCE LEE did the same. The results speaks for themselves.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope was to educate and inform. Not argue over this. Anyone should go and look for themselves and not take their word for it.
By the way...l am NOT a WHITE BELT but a 3rd degree Black Belt. Even though l am ONLY a 3rd degree is because l refused to be GIVEN a higher degree and not EARNED. Many of my fellow black belts will tell you this. I am not ashame but believe in the old ways of earning it. And in my eyes at the time l didn't believe l was worthy enough. My mistake for l was not wise enough and should have listen to my martial arts instructors at the time.
The "white belt" is your rank on MartialTalk. It has nothing to do with martial skill, and everything to do with the number of posts you've made here. It's entirely meaningless, except to those of us who seem to have no life, and manage to reach the dizzying heights of MartialTalk Senior Grandmaster. Then all must bow before us. (Unfortunately, "all" doesn't seem to know that bit of etiquette. How rude.)