She said WHAT? About WHO?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Air America has suspended its highest paid personality, Ms. Randi Rhodes...no relation to Ozzy's late guitarist. It's the first time the network has suspended one of its presenters.

Ms. Rhodes called Senator Clinton a name that wasn't very nice. She wasn't very kind to Geraldine Ferarro either.

Goofing a Sopranos hit on President Bush, fine. Stating that Romney supporters would commit mass-murder if McCain was elected, fine. But apparently calling Hillary a rude name is just not something that can be done! Or perhaps, the financially-challenged network was looking for an easy way out of paying her high salary on top of her show's nearly $1M/per annum budget.....

I'm not a big fan of Rhodes but I admire her for the way she can get out there and be up front about her point of view. And...if the network was able to look the other way at her antics lampooning the Republican candidates, then I really think they need to look the other way here as well. I don't think she should have been suspended.

Can we get her to challenge Ann Coulter to a mud-wrestling match? :D

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may be right about the salary issue for the struggling radio network. I just can't believe anyone would call Sen. Clinton such names!!!!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ms. Rhodes called Senator Clinton a name that wasn't very nice. She wasn't very kind to Geraldine Ferarro either.

Goofing a Sopranos hit on President Bush, fine. Stating that Romney supporters would commit mass-murder if McCain was elected, fine. But apparently calling Hillary a rude name is just not something that can be done! Or perhaps, the financially-challenged network was looking for an easy way out of paying her high salary on top of her show's nearly $1M/per annum budget.....
I thought they had declared bankruptcy? Still broadcasting? It was supposed to be a liberal alternative to Limbaugh and the other right wing AM crew. Calling Hillary bad names does not fly well with most of hte liberal crowd, I would imagine. You can bake Bush, Cheney, Limbaugh, whoever is Republican. Name calling the fellow Democrats? Now thats just naughty!

I'm not a big fan of Rhodes but I admire her for the way she can get out there and be up front about her point of view.
Never heard her. However, if you say the same thing about Limbaugh, except hordes of onslaughts to follow. Ironic, isn't it?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"A spoiled child (Bush) is telling us our Social Security isn't safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here's your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of 4 gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little b*stard. [audio of gun being cocked]." -- A "humor bit" from the Randi Rhodes show
She wasn't suspended then, but, she wasn't insulting Hillary Clinton then, only joking about killing the President.
Oh, I remember, this is the woman who was mugged and beaten by a republican, then not beaten, then not mugged, then tripped...
"This guy [Judge Alito] just creeps me out. He's quiet. He's not a guy who shoots up stores, he dies in a blaze of glory. No. That's not who he is. He's like one of those guys who goes along for years really quietly ... murdering hookers. You know what I mean? That's more him. He's the kind of guy that you live next door to for 30 years, and then all of a sudden a bulldozer shows up, and there's 31 kids buried underneath. You know what I mean? That's his temperament. He's not a junkyard dog. He's not a barker. He's not like a [UN ambassador John] Bolton; y'know, obviously a big bully. No. He's more like a wolf in sheep's clothing. He looks really 'milk toasty'; you want to pet him, and actually, I want to make boots out of him. Y'know. But, uh. No. He's a hunter. And he's hunting for ways to - y'know - (changing tone) 'Balance of power? Oh. That's so '80's. 1780's!' You know what I mean? This is who he is."
Comparing a Supreme Court Justice to murderers, no suspension, criticize and call Hillary a whore, Suspension!
CALLER (continuing): The thing that really killed me was the fact that when they bussed some of them out of the Dome. They loaded them on the bus, and they wouldn't tell them where they were going.

RANDI: Yeah. What is that?

CALLER: That is like when you transfer prisoners to one --

RANDI (interrupting): Actually, you know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of a little visit I made to the Holocaust Museum, and I saw these cattle cars.

CALLER: Yes!

RANDI: And they took people to go on them, but they didn't tell them where they were going.

CALLER: Yes! They do that to prisoners. If they're taking prisoners from one high-security prison to another, they do not --

RANDI: So, what are you supposed to do? Just do a "faith-based evacuation"? (Changing voice, as if an evacuee) "I'm sure he wouldn't send me to Auschwitz."

CALLER: Yeaaw! But why were these people patted down? There was an assumption of criminality made because they were poor and they were black --

RANDI: Check this out. Let's just -- Think about it this way. People were taken one place. Their children were taken another place. THIS IS SO MUCH LIKE THE HOLOCAUST. I can't even -- You know, it's like, you're not supposed to forget the Holocaust so that it can't happen again. And here you have people being loaded onto transportation vehicles, not being told where they're going, and their children are being taken someplace else
Comparing the evacuation of Hurricane victims to the Holocaust, wow, what a classy dame...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Air America has suspended its highest paid personality, Ms. Randi Rhodes...no relation to Ozzy's late guitarist.

I'm sorry and I realize this has little to do with this post but I get hit by such a sense of Irony when I read this first line.

I did not immediately think of Air America Radio I thought of the movie Air America, I did then think of Randy Rhodes as well and since the movie Air America was pretty much about flying…. The whole association with Airplanes and Randy Rhodes was just WAAAAAY to ironic for me.

OK, I will go now.... and return to my corner and shut up.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would Romney supporters commint mass murder? I'm missing somthing here.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Exactly how sane can a guy be that enjoys hitting trees for training "

I dunno...is it with your hands, your feet, or your head?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She was wrong about Hillary. Everyone knows Bill is the whore.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Air America has suspended its highest paid personality, Ms. Randi Rhodes...no relation to Ozzy's late guitarist. It's the first time the network has suspended one of its presenters.

I'm not a big fan of Rhodes but I admire her for the way she can get out there and be up front about her point of view. And...if the network was able to look the other way at her antics lampooning the Republican candidates, then I really think they need to look the other way here as well. I don't think she should have been suspended.

Can we get her to challenge Ann Coulter to a mud-wrestling match? :D
I listen to Randy Rhodes and she needs to shut her yap about Hillary. I feel she pushes her love for Obama on the public and that Air America is perfectly within its rights to suspend her.
Sean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay ... first of all, this kind of shock-talk radio is disgusting to me whether it comes from the right OR the left. I consider myself a moderate liberal and I just don't listen to Air America.

The Left was left behind for a long time because the Right popularized being mean, hateful, belittling with the likes of Rush Limbaugh et al. He mixed entertainment in with a strong right leaning and evoked certain emotions in many people. The right aggressively recruited using bullying tactics and the left ... limped along.

Here comes Air America to rival right wing broadcasting and what do we get? The left counterpart for Limbaugh, Liddy, others.

So ... great. They can trash-talk anyone and not only get away with it but GAIN in popularity, sell their snake oil ... but (devil's advocate only here) one liberal woman pulls similar rhetoric and she's ... SUSPENDED????

I take issue with two things: 1. her suspension if it's only based on her commentary and 2. the shock-talk tactic of selling **** to American listeners.

Gene Simmons said something very important today on Mark and Brian and I'm not sure that even the illustrious one realizes how huge the statement was: "Banks don't invest in things like property, they invest in people." People are the best investment because you can sell people ANYTHING.

If you find yourself being strongly influenced by the shockjockeys of today ... maybe it's time to turn the radio and tv off and regroup.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good, pithy and to the point post there, Shesulsa. Your last sentence in particular precised my political stance exactly.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, but I still want to know about this buisness of Romney suporters commiting mass murder. I'm Lost!!!!!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
never having listened to Rush or Liddy, I cant say which is worse, but I can say this. Air America is foul. Rhodes is really bad. And more importantly, they cant get anyone to listen to them.

Why?

Right wing radio almost always does well because the message is one of hope, that america is a great place, and the enemy (liberals)wants to change it into a bad place.

Left wing radio is negative. America is a bad place, thepresident is a bad person, the palestinians are peacefull kittens, etc and liberals want to make it better.

Since not many Americans want to hear "America is bad" Air America cant get enough listeners to pay the bills.

Rhodes called Hillary a whore
has Rush ever called a woman a whore?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So ... great. They can trash-talk anyone and not only get away with it but GAIN in popularity, sell their snake oil ... but (devil's advocate only here) one liberal woman pulls similar rhetoric and she's ... SUSPENDED????

She's been "Imus'd". Her comments seem more in line with Don Imus than with other political talk show personalities.

Like Imus, it sounds like she had a history of defamatory and deragatory rants, but also like Imus, mess with the wrong person once. . . .

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rhodes called Hillary a whore
has Rush ever called a woman a whore?
He called the Duke U rape victim a "ho" and Mike Savage has called Diane Sawyer a 'lying whore' and a 'prostitute' and others same or worse.

Limbaugh has repeatedly called people liars, crazy, insane, mentally ill and so have his counterparts.

This election isn't only historic because of two of the candidates ... but also for the commentary and reaction thereto.

Latest Discussions