shaolin long fist practitioner from OC california

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone. my name is kent and im from brea in the OC. im a practitioner in Shao Lin Long Fist. im new to the threads and am interested to talk about techniques or advice on training.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also from the OC. Mostly FMA. Welcome! Looking forward to reading about your MA adventure.

OP
callagon

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also from the OC. Mostly FMA. Welcome! Looking forward to reading about your MA adventure.
oh! awesome! Escrima and Kali???!? thats cool!!!! ive seen Kali training a bit and really am amazed with the timing and pressure control!

ive tried a lot of martial arts but never got a chance to participate in FMA. most of my background is in 7 star mantis and Shaolin long fist so ive had a super difficult time finding other practitioners that trained under the style i learned. but i got to spar quite a bit with some MMA and Mui Thai fighters in my past.

Last edited:
OP
callagon

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. im super excited to reach out and talk to other practitioners and further my training with everyone

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It really stinks that all these videos are so old, and so few of these schools compete. The forms only schools really have muddied this particular art form from its original intent.

It's not like you can't find Changquan influences in Sanshou schools, but without more interest in the combat modes, rather than just performance, it's crossing over into the realm of modern Wushu, IMHO.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It really stinks that all these videos are so old, and so few of these schools compete. The forms only schools really have muddied this particular art form from its original intent.

It's not like you can't find Changquan influences in Sanshou schools, but without more interest in the combat modes, rather than just performance, it's crossing over into the realm of modern Wushu, IMHO.
Both my senior brother Nelson Zhu's school 5 tigers club in NYC and my Peishaolin Kung Fu Institute in Austin, Texas all sent students to compete in Karate tournament (there were no MMA back in the 1973).

John_NYC_1.jpg

John_NYC_2.jpg

My long fist guys have been sent to Sanda and Sanhou tournament. I'm sure one day they will be in MMA too.

my_group.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's so funny that for those people who care about

- "fist meets face", they don't talk about "silk reeling".
- "silk reeling", they don't care about "fist meets face".

In CMA, you can always find people on both extremes.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's so funny that for those people who care about

- "fist meets face", they don't talk about "silk reeling".
- "silk reeling", they don't care about "fist meets face".

In CMA, you can always find people on both extremes.
Agreed.

What's really uncommon I think is finding the balanced, mature combat trained fighters who are also willing to make fist set videos.

Watching someone with visible throwdown skills who can also walk the walk with traditional forms is something special to behold. I think the Internet scares people off from posting such things...some of the best fighters I know stay away from doing so because nobody, even people who can kick butt, wants to have their work trolled online.

This is Lavell Marshall. Shuai Jiao competitor, Nanquan master, doing a mix of Shaolin freestyle in the wood. This is my kind of guy.

OP
callagon

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Long fist has 5 branches - Cha, Hua, Hon, Tan, Pao. Which long fist branch do you train?

Long fist - foundation training
praying mantis - speed training

Here is a good long fist form.

so heres the interesting part. my grandmaster school closed after he retired and i have had the hardest time to find info on my style. i found omeone on youtube in 1982 practicing one of the forms i learned but there is no info other than that.
i remember the 12 tan tui and hong quan being part of the training regiment though.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed.

What's really uncommon I think is finding the balanced, mature combat trained fighters who are also willing to make fist set videos.

Watching someone with visible throwdown skills who can also walk the walk with traditional forms is something special to behold. I think the Internet scares people off from posting such things...some of the best fighters I know stay away from doing so because nobody, even people who can kick butt, wants to have their work trolled online.

This is Lavell Marshall. Shuai Jiao competitor, Nanquan master, doing a mix of Shaolin freestyle in the wood. This is my kind of guy.

My teachers wouldn’t even let us take notes, let alone make videos. “ time you waste writing it down you could be training it”. Nothing wrong with people making them in my opinion. Things are different now. Not many secrets out there anymore.

Latest Discussions