Shadow Boxing vs Kata fallacy argument.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I just running around you (avoid contact), what technique can you use to against me? I will not be a good training partner for you because I cannot help you to develop any MA skill (except running).
Depends on how close you are. If you are within striking range then there's a number of techniques that can be used. If person you are running around is quicker than you then the best you can get is a delay of attack from that person.

For me, I've had no difficulty in sweeping people who want to stay on the outside like that. Here's why the sweep worked. If the person wants to always maintain a 5ft distance away from me, then all I have to do is cut that distance down by 3 feet and sweep. The sweep will land as the person is trying to regain the original 5 ft difference. This is the same technique I used on the ex boxer who was taller and had a longer reach. His goal was to always stay out of my range so he could out jab me. All I needed to do was to start my advance when he's starting to root. This would always allow me to get within 2 ft of the 5ft that he tried to stay away. 2ft was enough time for me to back sweep before he could fully retreat.

My theory on back sweeps is this. Back sweep those who want to run away and front sweep those who come in aggressively.

Latest Discussions