Setup AR-15 for Home Defense

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
long guns for what i have seen are largy for bunkering down or property defence. eg, you dont clear your house with then, you sit with it poitning at your door or at a choke ponjt waiting for the person to come into your line of fire and shoot them.

Disagree, the AR is a great platform for clearing buildings. Especially with the ease of adding gun lights to them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The metrics say no. I've pointed you to several of them now.
A lot of really useful data, and I appreciate it. Most of it was "gun guy" sites. But there's still a disconnect here that I'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to overcome. I've tried to explain as best I can, and I don't think it's landing on fertile ground. I'm pretty sure you feel the same way. It's okay to agree to disagree. :)

D

Deleted member 39746

Disagree, the AR is a great platform for clearing buildings. Especially with the ease of adding gun lights to them.

I dont disagree, but its role for home defence tends to be hunkering down. Its ease is entirely dependent on its length. If you have a 25 inch Ar15, switching to a pistol might be the better choice.

Lights are a must/need at this point, for any firearm you have and can put one on. And if you cant, you should have one on your person.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 39746

But for a few notable exceptions, yes. Shotgun barrels under 18" are considered Short Barreled Shotguns and are regulated.

If it's chambered for 5.56 and the ammo is typical commercial ammo and not specifically loaded for that barrel length (almost a custom job, really), then, yes, you are right.

If it's chambered for something else, such as 300 AAC Blackout then it could change the applicability of the barrel length.

But it shouldn't be, imo. Ever see someone try to break clays with a 18" bbl Mossberg 500 Tactical? Ever try to do house clearing with a Remington 870 in the 30" barrel "dove gun" config?

Back in the bad ol' days, shotguns were more like Henry Ford's "you can have it in any color you want as long as it's black." But now we have more disposable income (as a society), vastly more options, and dramatically better technology in shotguns. It's entirely reasonable now for most people to be able to have separate shotguns for turkey, deer, dove, and home-defense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I completely forgot, people handload 5.56 quite often here (used for hunting/pests) and its popularity is partly due to its hand laoding ability and generally being good for foxes.

As for shotguns, if i recall, break actions are smaller for the same barrel length if comapred with slides or automatics. Funnily enough, given my countries firearm laws, people have done practical shotgun with break actions for sporter/game shotguns.* Granted the length is usually sub 30 inches, but if you bunker down the length isnt largely a issue (beyond spread adjustment)

*Shotguns are easier to get than rifles, so in your case people may have gone clay pigeon shooting with tactical weapons or huntting with them.:p

that was a tangent, anyway. Maybe so, but a lot of people still inheret there weapons and if they are poorer to not afford it, overly specing a weapon they use for hunting may be a issue. and the general avability of supplies also determines what you get. eg for my case a sporting break action would be cheaper to get and more avalible.

D

Deleted member 39746

KelTec, literally, can't make enough of their KSG shotguns and I know for a fact that they're approved and in use in some LEO agencies. Police One reviewed it a few years ago:
Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun

WATCH: STL Joseph Garcia and the Guns He Uses During a Prison Riot
“We primarily use the KelTec KSG shotguns,” Garcia said.​

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Just saw that one, doesnt that one feed through two seperate tubes? So it has the added dyanmic of you being able to load less than lethals and lethals into the shotgun and use them as appropriate? that for a police weapon seems like a decent feature.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just saw that one, doesnt that one feed through two seperate tubes? So it has the added dyanmic of you being able to load less than lethals and lethals into the shotgun and use them as appropriate? that for a police weapon seems like a decent feature.
Yes, that's right.

But like many of KelTec's products, the consumer demand outstrips production.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk