Sensei YouTube?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For an inexperienced person, lowering 190 lbs. gently is a bit of an ask.
the whole thing is a lot more use as a strength building exercise than a judo skill exercise, im sure his daughter would be quite relived if he bought a barbell instead of using her as dead weight, im not surprised she not keen on the idea, its hardly flattering

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
See if that Judo instructor that is an hour a way will take you for private lessons. If he will, have him teach you to breakfall and then pick 3 throws that you want to focus on and then focus on those.

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to comment on this but I have to say - despite all the things that everybody else has said above that I agree with - especially that having a great judo instructor and dojo to train at is critical to proper learning - right now we are still under a full stage 1 lockdown, COVID everywhere, variants killing left right and centre and mandatory stay at home orders with increasing penalties.

These are not normal times, at least where Iive. Until we get our life back do what you gotta do and learn virtually. Stay in shape any way you can. Be careful not to injure yourself.

Personally I would say that your best bet is to practice as many falling and tumbling techniques as you can. There are tons of them all over YouTube. Use your judgement and find the best videos and ignore the rest - and learn in your back yard in the grass, your garage with puzzle mats, etc. And be careful to take it slow and not throw your back out on day #1 of "Mr. Watanabe's Judo for YouTube Beginners" :D

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
the whole thing is a lot more use as a strength building exercise than a judo skill exercise, im sure his daughter would be quite relived if he bought a barbell instead of using her as dead weight, im not surprised she not keen on the idea, its hardly flattering

I don't really see this as an issue. Families training together stay together and it's a great way to bond with your kids. As long as you're not beating them up of course! Watch out, she might just make you a star in "kick to the groin comics" if you mess this up :D

(sorry, edited due to wrong quote reference)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to comment on this but I have to say - despite all the things that everybody else has said above that I agree with - especially that having a great judo instructor and dojo to train at is critical to proper learning - right now we are still under a full stage 1 lockdown, COVID everywhere, variants killing left right and centre and mandatory stay at home orders with increasing penalties.

These are not normal times, at least where Iive. Until we get our life back do what you gotta do and learn virtually. Stay in shape any way you can. Be careful not to injure yourself.

Personally I would say that your best bet is to practice as many falling and tumbling techniques as you can. There are tons of them all over YouTube. Use your judgement and find the best videos and ignore the rest - and learn in your back yard in the grass, your garage with puzzle mats, etc. And be careful to take it slow and not throw your back out on day #1 of "Mr. Watanabe's Judo for YouTube Beginners" :D
The issue I see with this is someone with no experience on Judo falls trying to figure out what's a good video on Judo falls.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Assuming your are in Hampton Va, 2 minutes of google brings up Log into Facebook which apparently operates out of Grappling - Five Crow Martial Arts
He said he wanted Judo and has experience in grappling, that looks more like an integrated grappling class which could be good but if he really wants to learn Judo specifically, he is going to want a Judo dojo or one that teaches it as its own class.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Assuming your are in Hampton Va, 2 minutes of google brings up Log into Facebook which apparently operates out of Grappling - Five Crow Martial Arts
I know about Five Crow. I actually live less than a mile away.

Two issues, though:

1. They train in other martial arts besides judo, and I don't want the awkward situation where it's pointed out that I'm training elsewhere, when I could just do everything there.
2. I know I said I don't care about being a "credentialed" judoka, but that's in a situation where I'm not actually paying money. If I am paying money, I want the credentials. That being said, the judo program is not affiliated with USA Judo or USJA.

There's a BJJ spot in Williamsburg that also has a judo program (USJA affiliated), and the commute is shorter than the one I referenced in Virginia Beach (USA Judo affiliated). The issue with the one in Williamsburg is that they've resumed BJJ after the COVID shutdown, but not the judo program. I'm also not certain if I want to commit to that commute either; though I admit that I've never driven to that particular spot before, so I may soon, just to see what the commute is like.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
So here's the story: I really want to learn judo grappling techniques, but the nearest open dojo is almost an hour away from me. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but there's no way to fit the commute time into my schedule.

So what have I been doing instead? I looked up the promotion requirements for USA Judo and USJA, then I looked up the grappling techniques on YouTube - and then I practice them on my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't like it, but she's a good sport. I offer her the chance to get "revenge" by letting her do the techniques on me, but she refuses.

I don't care about being a "credentialed" judoka. I just want to learn how to do the techniques.

What are your thoughts?
Drive the hour.
The set up makes the difference and you only get the set up via private lessons or small group class with different size and strength people.

Last edited:

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Two issues, though:

1. They train in other martial arts besides judo, and I don't want the awkward situation where it's pointed out that I'm training elsewhere, when I could just do everything there.
2. I know I said I don't care about being a "credentialed" judoka, but that's in a situation where I'm not actually paying money. If I am paying money, I want the credentials. That being said, the judo program is not affiliated with USA Judo or USJA.

There's a BJJ spot in Williamsburg that also has a judo program (USJA affiliated), and the commute is shorter than the one I referenced in Virginia Beach (USA Judo affiliated). The issue with the one in Williamsburg is that they've resumed BJJ after the COVID shutdown, but not the judo program. I'm also not certain if I want to commit to that commute either; though I admit that I've never driven to that particular spot before, so I may soon, just to see what the commute is like.
This is what I thought, I would say try the commute. You are learning this as a specific discipline, not just trying to freshen up your standing grappling, it will be worth the drive to learn Judo as its own thing. Its like learning boxing, I have been looking for gyms near me recently, I don't want to take a striking class, I want to learn BOXING, totally different.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He said he wanted Judo and has experience in grappling, that looks more like an integrated grappling class which could be good but if he really wants to learn Judo specifically, he is going to want a Judo dojo or one that teaches it as its own class.
The facebook link is for the Virginia Academy of Judo, which operates out of Five Crows. They state they are available for private lessons.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If something is all you got then it's all you got. However, watching videos is only a supplement to actual instruction. General movements can be "mostly" learned from videos but actual techniques, not so much. This route will have you learning mistakes more than anything else. In any of the throwing arts the first thing that is taught is how to take a fall. Sometimes falling techniques compose 50% or more of class time and it can go on like that for months. Taking falls safely from any position is absolutely mandatory so learning starts there. If one can manage a personal instruction class, solo or group, at least once every week or two then videos might be a good thing to study, if, and that's a big IF, one practices material covered in the last class.

You might consider getting the heaviest kicking/punching bag you can find, tie a belt or rope around it and learn to handle it as if it were a live partner. This will give you at least some experience with kuzushi and maneuvering a standing partner. You don't have a bag? In that case use a stationary post, tree, whatever. Most importantly get some instruction from a teacher at any and every opportunity.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
If something is all you got then it's all you got. However, watching videos is only a supplement to actual instruction. General movements can be "mostly" learned from videos but actual techniques, not so much. This route will have you learning mistakes more than anything else. In any of the throwing arts the first thing that is taught is how to take a fall. Sometimes falling techniques compose 50% or more of class time and it can go on like that for months. Taking falls safely from any position is absolutely mandatory so learning starts there. If one can manage a personal instruction class, solo or group, at least once every week or two then videos might be a good thing to study, if, and that's a big IF, one practices material covered in the last class.

You might consider getting the heaviest kicking/punching bag you can find, tie a belt or rope around it and learn to handle it as if it were a live partner. This will give you at least some experience with kuzushi and maneuvering a standing partner. You don't have a bag? In that case use a stationary post, tree, whatever. Most importantly get some instruction from a teacher at any and every opportunity.
Bjj dummies are pretty good for learning basic positioning flows.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Two issues, though:

They do private lessons in judo. USA Judo and USJA are not the only judo organizations out there. But don't take advantage of what's in walking distance of your house.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Two issues, though:

As for comments about trraining elsewhere, it's been my experience that's more likely to be an issue in places that only train one art. Places that really train multiple arts (rather than just putting multiple base arts on their window for marketing) usually have a proportion of students who have and/or still do train elsewhere.

For the Judo affiliation, consider what the value is to you. If you're thinking you may be moving around and want to take your rank with you, organizational affiliation may matter. If that's not the case, affiliation may not matter as much. Look for the value it provides to you, personally.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But my focus is getting the person from Point A (standing) to Point B (on the ground).
I'll second all the comments that Judo is very difficult to learn from video unless you have prior relevant experience and that you are risking injury to your daughter without a proper foundation in ukemi skills on her end and proper technique on your end.

However I will add that if you are bound and determined to practice takedowns based on video, that wrestling offers a repertoire which can generally be practiced more safely for the beginner. Judo has a focus on high magnitude throws which slam the recipient down hard. In comparison, something like a wrestling single leg is easier to execute safely for the receiver. (Wrestling also includes the big slams, but they aren't the primary focus.)

Really though, get some actual instruction and some training partners who aren't your teenage daughter.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the Judo affiliation, consider what the value is to you. If you're thinking you may be moving around and want to take your rank with you, organizational affiliation may matter. If that's not the case, affiliation may not matter as much. Look for the value it provides to you, personally.

In my experience, no one really cares about who you got your orange belt from. OP stated he is noted interested in being a "credentialed" judoka, I doubt he is going to get a black belt. Very little difference in requirements between IFJA and USA Judo.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not certain that this would apply to Judo per se. Judo is mainly geared for competition so rank is a useful when entering tournaments to ensure you are categorized properly. It is also useful when travelling around but I suspect most dojos would want to see you in a few classes to observe your skill level before allowing you to wear the coloured belt you walked in with especially if you plan on competing under the blanket of the club.

If competition is not your goal for Judo and you only want to practice and train, I would still tend to go with a club that has some affiliation to a larger organization so that the terms and techniques that I learn can be cross-referenced to another source should I want to have a more than one reference and I am not spending my time learning something that basically Bullshido.

Sure there are ever evolving MA that are innovative and work but there are also schools that are no more than belt factories and babysitting pens.

Latest Discussions