Self Defense System vs Friend? (non-malicious attacker)

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
Play fighting leads to nothing good IMO but there are instances when a friend or co-worker can't take a hint so here is my 2 cents. Most people hate to be hit, slapped or smacked in highly sensitive areas like the small of the back, ribs or solar plexus. If you have to send a message train your hands to be heavy so you can whack a sensitive area without "aggressive power" into one of these areas. Don't be antagonistic or arrogant about it or invite further conflict

CK1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree... and that was pretty much my point... When you play around with anything combat oriented (martial arts, swords, guns, knives, atom bombs, etc)... Eventually, someone is going to take it too far and someone is going to get hurt... Thats why many of the schools I have attended always tell their students to show up in street clothes, change, attend class, change back into street clothes and leave. If people see you sporting a belt or anything that associates you with a school, they naturally want to know "how good you are".

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pressure points. Learn them, live them, love them.

If your friends start playing grab-*** with you, tell them politely but firmly to stop. If they don't, make them. Pressure points are great for that. They hurt like hell, but they don't do lasting damage. And while they are whining and rubbing the sore area, you can explain to them that this stuff is not for screwing around with. Then invite them to come train with you to find out what it is really like.

Reaction score
Aikido- the entire point of Aikido is to control your opponents attack and to re direct them to safety or to guide them back to harmony

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aikido- the entire point of Aikido is to control your opponents attack and to re direct them to safety or to guide them back to harmony
Two things. Why are you training Aikido? I mean, why did you choose it as your martial art of choice?

and ...

In the unlikely event you are ever in a real fight, (as distinct from this thread about dealing with a friend) just how do you think it will pan out? Let's say for example you are in a situation where you can't get away and this punk, on drugs, is in your face pushing you around then he grabs your partner. Are you really going to guide him back to harmony?
:asian:

Latest Discussions